Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Propane tank recertification
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Propane tank recertification

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They use floats and magnetic clutch to move the needle.
As with each floats- they will show 0 with less than about 10% of fill, so not too accurate. When I was camping with single cylinder, I was carrying spring scale to measure weight of the propane.
Thinking about those $5 re-certifications - they did not pull the valve out to inspect the inside, did they?

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s $5 or so around here at any propane supply, but people also use propane for heat. I’d call a big propane supplier. The inspection takes just a few minutes, but we dropped ours off and had it filled. They waved the inspection fee because we filled up.

I don’t think permanent mount true horizontal tanks require inspection and don’t age out like vertical tanks.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't inspect the cylinder interior without bleeding the propane.
For $5 I smell a rat.
Propane Tanks are not subject to DOT certifications, therefore no inspection even on 50 yo.
And yes, there are lot of 50 yo tanks around.

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am curious.... What can go bad on an RV propane tank that requires re-certification? I am not looking for 'because the oppressive government says so'. I am looking for some sort of technical issue that causes propane tanks to actually wear out and become unsafe.

Obviously physical damage to the tank - dents, gouges, corrosion, etc - can put the integrity of the tank at risk. Those could be present at any time, and thus that tank should be re-evaluated when the damage occurs, not on a preset schedule. Yes, propane tanks can have 100-200 PSI present in them. But it is not the 2000+ PSI of a welding tank or 3000+ PSI of a SCUBA tank. I suppose metal fatigue from varying pressure can impact the life of the tank...but the air compressor in my shop has similar PSI and cycles between empty & full a lot more often. I don't need to re-certify the tank on the air compressor.

I did a little bit of Internet research. It seems re-certification is only applicable toward tanks that are 100 lbs or less. The large propane 'pig' behind a rural house does not appear to need re-certification, ever. And it seems there is a lot more propane at risk there, compared to a RV/BBQ sized tank.

I just don't see a propane tank in a well maintained RV magically going bad and needing to be replaced. My tinfoil hat is telling me this is some sort of industry regulation put in place by a political lobby to force people to buy new tanks every few years, and has little real world value behind it. If only Hank Hill was on this forum. He seems like the guy who would give me a straight answer regardless of what the official rules are. [emoticon]

Final question... Has anyone paid to have their tank re-certified and been told it needs to be replaced (and why)?

Thanks,
-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric&Lisa wrote:

I am curious.... What can go bad on an RV propane tank that requires re-certification?

Technically only corrosion, but the certification requirement come at the time when industry switched to valve who will automatically shut off at certain level.
Older tanks & cylinders relied on humans for proper level bleeding and that proved to be dangerous.
I also have scuba cylinders and they have 3-stages of different certifications.
-visual inspection
-checking the inside for corrosion
-"hydro test" when cylinder is filled with high pressure liquid (liquid for safety).
So comparing, propane certification is peanuts.
I filled up 2 different cylinders at Costco 2 days ago.
The technician hooked up cylinder on scale, went on the other side to computer screen, punched the cylinder size and got a beep when cylinder was filled. No more bleeding.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the hassle and only good for 5 years on re-cert I just bought a new cylinder good for 12 years. Of course if you have something unique that costs more to replace then the re-cert is the way to go.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1 more observation.
When you take your cylinders to gas station who also sells propane as side business - they never take a look at certifications.
Done it 4 times in last year.

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

You can't inspect the cylinder interior without bleeding the propane.
For $5 I smell a rat.
Propane Tanks are not subject to DOT certifications, therefore no inspection even on 50 yo.
And yes, there are lot of 50 yo tanks around.
No rat, whatsoever. I had 3 tanks recertified at my local farm supply store last year while I waited. They are also a propane supplier and can change valves and do ANY service required on propane cylinders. The standard recertification is simply an external corrosion and damage inspection. I watched while he did it. He did replace the warning labels and ID labels which had been severely scraped and defaced through use. NO INTERNAL INSPECTION REQUIRED.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never had them check internally to recertify..

Quote:

Here is a description of what we do for you:

Check the tank date of manufacture
Check the tank for leaks
Check to make sure the tank has the required decals
Check the valve guard
Check the foot-ring
Check for dents & gouges
Check for rust
Replace the relief valve – This valve is set to release any excess pressure in the propane tank. The valve is equipped with a protective cap to keep the valve clean from water and debris. The relief valve must be replaced within 12 years of the date of manufacture of the container and every 10 years thereafter. See NFPA 58 Sec 2-3.2.5.

'94 Ford DRW/460
Lance 9.6
Yamaha Rhino in tow
Elk hunt'n Idaho

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tanks have different certifications than cylinders and cylinders don't have relief valves.
Sounds like re-certifications vary by state, or maybe by the technicians.
I spend some time on the net searching and could not find official page saying what it takes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Propane tank recertification
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS