cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heading to the Rockies for 5 or 6 weeks.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well we have been traveling all over the place and I found out how my 3.5 EcoBoost would handle the Rockies. Going up hills I have no problem with power at all. I slow for the corners and speed back up to whatever speed I feel is safe. We have passed many gas Class A's that are in the slow lane with their engines screaming to get to the top.
On the downhill runs however, the engine is still a 3.5 liter gasser when it comes to motor braking. I have to use my brakes more than I would like on the long high speed drops. Today I came down what is probably my steepest, curviest downhill in my driving experience. This road was handled well by the EB because the speed limit was 25 and I could use first gear and had very good speed control with engine braking. I only had to touch the brakes a few times on that stretch. This was in Colorado between the towns of Dinosaur and Fruita. I don't remember the road number right now.
For an everyday driver with only limited towing in the mountains, I really like my EB and may buy another one in the future. I will have to do some serious thinking before I get a new truck because I may buy a diesel with exhaust brake. I don't know what size truck at this time. They keep changing options on trucks so time will tell.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired
23 REPLIES 23

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No, you just don’t get the same compression braking with less engine volume and cylinders, especially combined with forced induction.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

flguppie
Explorer
Explorer
Is it the engine size or transmission?

I went from a: 2010 F150 5.4L V8 with 6 speed Tran that was slow on the uphill climbs but great with tow-haul going down hill

I now have a:

2018 3.5 EgoBoost V6 with 10 speed Tran that was awesome on the uphill climbs and OK on the downhills with tow-haul. I may be tapping the brakes a few more times going down to get it to shift to a lower gear because I now have more gears....I figure that is a transmission difference, not block size. I have noticed rpm stays higher longer at the end of the hill run and it takes longer to get the Tran to shift back to a higher gear after once down.
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2014 KZSpree Connect 220rbk
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
"I don't know how anyone could tell that I was not using tow/haul by what I wrote."

No offense intended but this is what you wrote, sounded like you weren't using Tow Haul:

"On the downhill runs however, the engine is still a 3.5 liter gasser when it comes to motor braking. I have to use my brakes more than I would like on the long high speed drops. Today I came down what is probably my steepest, curviest downhill in my driving experience. This road was handled well by the EB because the speed limit was 25 and I could use first gear and had very good speed control with engine braking."

If you are in TH you should not have to use your brakes much at all. A light tap of the brake pedal will downshift the trans one gear, no need to manually shift down unless that's what you like to do though it does seem a tad redundant.

On a long 5 or 6 percent grade I select a speed that is appropriate for the road conditions and set cruise control while in Tow Haul. This usually gets me to the bottom of the grade without ever touching the brakes or at most doing so lightly and not often.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

:C

I believe the OP's point was that a 3.5L V6 doesn't have the same engine braking capability as a 5 or 6 liter engine. The turbo is great for going up, but doesn't help you going down.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
The minute my F150 is picking up speed while coasting (in tow/haul mode) and I touch the brakes, the tranny downshift (sometimes more than 1 gear) and engine braking comes in.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
This whole thing would never have happened if you'd been driving a dually.

(I have no idea what that means, really, but somehow someone always says that.) 😉

And you should have had LT tires on your towed vehicle.

(Same thing -- it always comes up, so why not raise that issue in advance??)

This is kind of like Thanksgiving dinner -- you know Uncle Fred is going to start ranting about guns (one way or the other), but you don't know exactly when the fun will begin.

Just havin' a little fun here, since I don't have anything meaningful to add.

Good one (where is the "eyes rolling" emoticon when I need it!?)
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Note - our '99 F250 had Overdrive, but it did not downshift automatically as our 2011 F350 in TH mode does.

Yeah ...some folks think tow/haul works the same for all auto trannies....which they don't. Some times not even in the same brands.

Best to read the owners manual in the glove box for each tranny.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This whole thing would never have happened if you'd been driving a dually.

(I have no idea what that means, really, but somehow someone always says that.) 😉

And you should have had LT tires on your towed vehicle.

(Same thing -- it always comes up, so why not raise that issue in advance??)

This is kind of like Thanksgiving dinner -- you know Uncle Fred is going to start ranting about guns (one way or the other), but you don't know exactly when the fun will begin.

Just havin' a little fun here, since I don't have anything meaningful to add.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I don't know how anyone could tell that I was not using tow/haul by what I wrote. I always use tow/haul but I prefer to stay ahead of excess speed by shifting myself.

You also didn't say you were towing, but I assume you were.
When braking, you are also using the trailer brakes, which is a good thing. I wouldn't worry to much about using the brakes as long as you keep the speed down, even if it's 25 mph.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I don't know how anyone could tell that I was not using tow/haul by what I wrote."

No offense intended but this is what you wrote, sounded like you weren't using Tow Haul:

"On the downhill runs however, the engine is still a 3.5 liter gasser when it comes to motor braking. I have to use my brakes more than I would like on the long high speed drops. Today I came down what is probably my steepest, curviest downhill in my driving experience. This road was handled well by the EB because the speed limit was 25 and I could use first gear and had very good speed control with engine braking."

If you are in TH you should not have to use your brakes much at all. A light tap of the brake pedal will downshift the trans one gear, no need to manually shift down unless that's what you like to do though it does seem a tad redundant.

On a long 5 or 6 percent grade I select a speed that is appropriate for the road conditions and set cruise control while in Tow Haul. This usually gets me to the bottom of the grade without ever touching the brakes or at most doing so lightly and not often.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

:C

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I don't know how anyone could tell that I was not using tow/haul by what I wrote.
That's just the way it works here.
For instance, based on what you wrote, I can say with certainty the the problem was you are using the wrong brand of oil.
:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know how anyone could tell that I was not using tow/haul by what I wrote. I always use tow/haul but I prefer to stay ahead of excess speed by shifting myself. I have a selective shift 6 speed and was able to use it without hitting the brakes unless necessary. Without hitting the brakes, the tranny will not know there are sharp turns ahead that I can control most of the time with my shifter but had to use the brakes more than I like as reported in my original post.
I was raised by a truck driving father who taught me how to drive a manual and automatic tranny on hills and when pulling loads. Considering that he was a trained driving instructor, I think he did a pretty good job in teaching me how to drive.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, Captain!! Very informative.

I am guessing that my next truck will have T/H!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good report, Bob. I wish more RVers would learn how to safely climb and descend.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Note - our '99 F250 had Overdrive, but it did not downshift automatically as our 2011 F350 in TH mode does.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton