cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stopped to help fellow camper

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
This afternoon I stopped along I-70 in Utah to help out a fellow camper. She had a shredded tire on her new to her Rockwood A-frame. She had just installed new tires on the unit about 50 miles before heading out for a 2 week trip.
According to her, the tire exploded and that started the trailer swaying and she said that she was lucky to not end up in the ditch. The damage to the trailer was extensive. The plastic wheel well was destroyed, the floor of the camper had a hole about a foot wide and three feet long toward the rear of the camper, the welded on frame extension that goes to the side of the camper was bent 90 degrees from its normal position, the inside of the cabinet above the wheel well was torn apart, the gas line to the outdoor stove connection was smashed, most of the wiring for the entire trailer goes through that cabinet and the wires were wrapped around the wheel.
Since the wires were shredded anyway, I cut them away from carnage to get things cleaned up. I had to unwrap the copper gas line from around the wheel. I used a ratcheting tie down strap to straighten the bent frame member because it would have hit the new time.
I could not believe that her stop/turn signals still worked and so did her electric brakes.
After only 90 minutes, I had things cleaned up enough that she could limp back home or wherever she decided to go.
I informed her that I would take it back to the RV sales place that installed her new tires and try to get some of her repairs covered.
As a result of spending 90 minutes along the road helping her, I got into Moab at 6:30 pm and found most campsites full. I stopped at Moab Rim Campground and they had an overflow site available without any hookups. I was telling him about the afternoon and he let me stay the first night for free and I was able to get an electric only site for tomorrow night. I guess karma liked me today.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired
17 REPLIES 17

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
RandACampin wrote:

Not only is the OP starved for internet pats on the back. This ones clairvoiant.

:R

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You for your kindness and your caring for your fellow traveler.
As a side note, DW and I stayed at the Moab Rim Campground on our trip to the Grand Canyon in June and on our way back. The owners are a family and they do take care of their guests in every way. Great campground and very reasonable prices.
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bob here.

What was left of the tire was spread out all over I-70. The core of the tire was still there but nothing of the sidewalls or tread. I was not going to go out into traffic to try to find parts of the tire to do an autopsy. I checked her other tire and it was at 50 psi just like it said on the sidewall. I did not look to see what brand or country of origin the other tire was.
I did not want to ruin her day and explain to her that she was probably out of luck as far as the dealer backing anything but MAYBE a new tire and rim. I have no idea if she had insurance or not. Unless she can find a handyman, she may find that repairs will exceed the value of the camper.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
. . . So much for brand new Chinese will-pop tires. They should be outlawed.

What really caused the blow out (or tread separation) cannot be determined by the information given without seeing the tire.

We had a "blow out" which turned out to be a tread separation caused by tires that were way too old to be driving on - did about the same damage to our rig which was all completely covered by the comprehensive plan on our insurance. Even damage to the tire in proximaty was paid for, but not the offending tire. What did we learn? To inspect the tires annually, yes alignment affects their wear and account for that, and stay within ST tire speed limits.
Your post reminded me of the time my pickup's rear tire blew and took out the fuel filler pipe. My insurance company insisted that my tire collided with my truck, therefore the higher collision deductible applied (not comp). :R As one may guess, I changed insurance companies soon afterward.

OP, this was a great assist, helping the lady like that. We need more people like you out on the road!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well done Bob.

Well done campground.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
. . . So much for brand new Chinese will-pop tires. They should be outlawed.

What really caused the blow out (or tread separation) cannot be determined by the information given without seeing the tire.

We had a "blow out" which turned out to be a tread separation caused by tires that were way too old to be driving on - did about the same damage to our rig which was all completely covered by the comprehensive plan on our insurance. Even damage to the tire in proximaty was paid for, but not the offending tire. What did we learn? To inspect the tires annually, yes alignment affects their wear and account for that, and stay within ST tire speed limits.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Bert Ackerman wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
I'll bet the RV dealer will (maybe) give her a new tire and nothing more. Insurance will cover the rest. So much for brand new Chinese will-pop tires. They should be outlawed.

"She had a shredded tire on her new to her Rockwood A-frame. She had just installed new tires on the unit about 50 miles before heading out for a 2 week trip.
According to her, the tire exploded"

RV forums are great are they not, gotta love em.

From the original post you came up with it was caused by a Chinese will-pop? You also were able to determine it was not caused by a curb strike, road hazard, overload, overspeed, low air pressure, or anything else?

Awesome.

Agree. There's more to this, but the OP's stopping to help her was the point of this post, I believe.

To the OP - Thank you for helping out!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Good on you! Karma does pay back pretty good sometimes ๐Ÿ˜‰

I had a incident with a bearing a few months back that a good samaritan helped me out with by going home to get a grinder for me.

There are still great people in the world that ask for nothing a give a lot.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Great Job...

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Good samaritan. Nor many left today.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
Bert Ackerman wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
I'll bet the RV dealer will (maybe) give her a new tire and nothing more. Insurance will cover the rest. So much for brand new Chinese will-pop tires. They should be outlawed.

"She had a shredded tire on her new to her Rockwood A-frame. She had just installed new tires on the unit about 50 miles before heading out for a 2 week trip.

From the original post you came up with it was caused by a Chinese will-pop? You also were able to determine it was not caused by a curb strike, road hazard, overload, overspeed, low air pressure, or anything else?

Awesome.

Not only is the OP starved for internet pats on the back. This ones clairvoiant.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:

Awesome.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Chivalry isn't dead. Wonder what speeds she was towing at, UT has 85mph speed limits in places.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
Im sure you made her real crappy day at least a bit better. Good for you.