cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

anyone else had this happen to them

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
Out for a few days in the fiver, got all set up and hooked up, went inside and turned the water heater on gas. In just a minute or so the carbon monoxide alarm went off. Cleared the area, restarted, same results. So I just turned it to electric for the trip. I have never had this happen before, 25 years. But one thing that was going on was there was a strong wind hitting the water heater side of the fiver where it vents. You think the wind could have driven just enough fumes back inside to set off the alarm?? By the way, started the w.h. at home with no problems. I've just never heard of or had this happen before.
rich
8 REPLIES 8

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Rich&Mar wrote:
Out for a few days in the fiver, got all set up and hooked up, went inside and turned the water heater on gas. In just a minute or so the carbon monoxide alarm went off. Cleared the area, restarted, same results. So I just turned it to electric for the trip. I have never had this happen before, 25 years. But one thing that was going on was there was a strong wind hitting the water heater side of the fiver where it vents. You think the wind could have driven just enough fumes back inside to set off the alarm?? By the way, started the w.h. at home with no problems. I've just never heard of or had this happen before.

A few years ago, we were boondocking in the old Komfort, and my batteries were getting discharged so I borrowed a b-i-l's generator, hooked it up and drug it to the end of my 25' cord. The FW was wide open to the breeze (what little of it there was) at 7k' altitude. Fired the genny up and within 30 seconds, the d@mn alarm was going off. Shut the genny down, grabbed the 25' extension, hooked that in and had the genny 50' away. Fired it up again, and damme if the alarm didn't go off again. Ended up having to button the FW up almost completely (left the top vents open) to keep the alarm from triggering. Even moved the genny around a bit, but the alarm kept going off. Very annoying...

Lyle

Similar issue for me. I was boondocking at Talladega a couple of years ago and forgot to take my GenTuri for my generator exhaust. The wind was obviously coming from the exact wrong direction because no matter how I configured my windows, vents, door, etc. the CO alarm would go off. All open, all closed, various combinations it didn't matter. I actually have a second portable alarm that has a digital CO readout and when I put it by the built in one it would go off also, but showing a concentration number vs just making noise so I knew the built in one wasn't giving a false reading. I could run my Onan just long enough to make a pot of coffee and then the alarm would go off. I haven't forgotten the GenTuri since.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Rich&Mar wrote:

A few years ago, we were boondocking in the old Komfort, and my batteries were getting discharged so I borrowed a b-i-l's generator, hooked it up and drug it to the end of my 25' cord. The FW was wide open to the breeze (what little of it there was) at 7k' altitude. Fired the genny up and within 30 seconds, the d@mn alarm was going off. Shut the genny down, grabbed the 25' extension, hooked that in and had the genny 50' away. Fired it up again, and damme if the alarm didn't go off again. Ended up having to button the FW up almost completely (left the top vents open) to keep the alarm from triggering. Even moved the genny around a bit, but the alarm kept going off. Very annoying...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quick question: Was it a carbon monoxide detector or the propane gas detector?
Either way a problem, maybe the wind was blowing the flame out allowing gas to flow.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rich&Mar wrote:

Did you have a window open.close by water heater?
Did you have a roof vent open?
IS your CO Detector a stand alone or a combo LP & CO Detector?

Water heater combustion chamber is inclosed inside the water heater tank
Exhaust fumes can not come back inside RV unless via an open window etc.
****Unless seal around exhuast tube is damaged.

CO is a product of incomplete combustion.
Water Heater flame should be Strong BLUE Hot flame....if yellow it needs more air
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't had this problem, but agree with bpounds. Only lighting problem we had was due to spider webs, a lot of them, in the flue outside.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I haven't had the problem to that extent, but I have had water heater issues at high altitude if the wind is blowing at certain angles. I've had the flame huff and puff, and repeatedly re-ignite. In every instance so far, opening the outside hatch over the water heater has solved the issue. Which tells me it was a lack of oxygen due to altitude, and I think the wind would pull a bit of a vacuum somehow.

For the OP's problem I would look at cleaning the orifice and adjusting the flame. Spider webs, wasp nest, etc. And most importantly, check the flue for obstruction.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
No. But then we have a hybrid. Find the source. This is important
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

fj12ryder