Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Black Tank flush with valve closed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Black Tank flush with valve closed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winniman wrote:

Yes, but it is also common for said people to get distracted. This results in a very messy flood in your rv.

which is why I add 5-gallons of water via the toilet instead of the flush-out.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maillemaker wrote:

I never add water back to an empty black tank.

It's clean enough - when it's empty and I look down the hole I can see daylight through the milky walls of the tank.

Not disagreeing with you, but couple things caught my attention.

If you're camping frequently, I can see where it wouldn't matter if you store with water in the tank.

Second, I've never seen waste tanks that weren't black. So that was a new one on me.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

nazpaz

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hook the water hose to the tank flush and run it till the black water tank is full, then I pull the lever and dump. I leave the tank flush running for around 20 minutes. Then close the valve and let it run another couple of minutes. Shut it down, and I'm good to go another week.

In our 7th year of fulltiming and doing it that way from the beginning.

If you think you can't remember you are running the tank flush, then by all means don't do it that way. [emoticon]

-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Is it common for people to close the valve with the hose still running in order to prime the tank with some fresh water?

yes
bumpy

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have also saw in two different instances, where rookies accidentally hooked up the water supply hose to the tank flush thinking that they had the hose connected to the right spot. One was a rental C class. They hooked up, and left the rv unattended.It had water running down the stairs after about 20 minutes. The other one was a fifth wheel. We were walking by, and noticed water running out the corner of his 5th wheel. We shut off his water, and knocked on the door. Right about then we heard a scream from the guys wife. I guess she stepped on the toilet lever. It seems the park had two water taps on his site. His new trailer had two hoses, so he hooked them both up, and turned them on. One was for his black water flush, and the water was coming out of his vent stand pipe behind his combo washing machine in the bedroom. Black tank flushes must be done with great caution. They also have been known to leak at the anti syphon valve and flood out an rv.

edatlanta

Maplesville, AL Home Base

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

winniman wrote:

Yes, but it is also common for said people to get distracted. This results in a very messy flood in your rv.

Yes, and I also do it to help flush out solids, set a timer on my smart phone for no more than 5 minutes.

I do exactly the same as you, but I set the timer before I turn the water on and I use 4 minutes since I have a lot of pressure here. I have a pressure regulator set for fresh water into my rig, but not for the flush. I want all of the pressure I can get there. Works for me.

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nazpaz wrote:

I hook the water hose to the tank flush and run it till the black water tank is full, then I pull the lever and dump. I leave the tank flush running for around 20 minutes. Then close the valve and let it run another couple of minutes. Shut it down, and I'm good to go another week.

In our 7th year of fulltiming and doing it that way from the beginning.

If you think you can't remember you are running the tank flush, then by all means don't do it that way. [emoticon]
WTH you using your black tank for that you need to fill and dump twice then flush for 20 minutes? It's a black tank, its for storing human waste not drinking water. Its going to get full of sh_t again.
I dump mine, throw 5 gallons of water down the commode for a big flush, close the valve, and done.

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After I dump I flush the tank with the cleaning wand installed in the tank. If you don't have one in your tank you can purchase one at most camping stores or on-line. I do this with the valve open and then with the valve closed for about 5 minutes. Occasionally, I have gotten stuff caught in the pipe. If that happens I do a reverse flush from the valve using a hose and an adapter that allows water in and sewage out. I am a full timer, so the rig sits for months in one spot and does not slosh around as one will do when traveling. When done, I fill the toilet with water and chemical then flush. Done!

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Is it common for people to close the valve with the hose still running in order to prime the tank with some fresh water?
The guy running my PDI told me to do this - said have your wife look down the toilet while your running the flush. She came around the corner and said tell me what? I said to him, go ahead - you tell her.

I keep my valve open while flushing - have a clear elbow connected to monitor the water color.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Second, I've never seen waste tanks that weren't black. So that was a new one on me.

Yup, mine is some kind of translucent white material. Same thing as the fresh water tank. So when I look down the toilet on an empty tank, I can see daylight through the tank wall. It's somewhat brown-stained, but that's it.

Our rig is nearly 30 years old. I've had it for 10. I never rinse out the tank; I just fill it full before dumping so you get a real gusher when you pull the cork. I used to put the blue "poo pellets" in the tank before a trip, but I quit using them about a year ago. We have no smell issues so I figure it's just a waste of money and unnecessary for the environment.

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Black Tank flush with valve closed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.