Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Black Tank flush with valve closed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Black Tank flush with valve closed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it common for people to close the valve with the hose still running in order to prime the tank with some fresh water?

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes. It is beneficial to have some water in the black tank at all times. It keeps the thick stuff from solidifying.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deleted.

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, but it is also common for said people to get distracted. This results in a very messy flood in your rv.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winniman wrote:

Yes, but it is also common for said people to get distracted. This results in a very messy flood in your rv.

Yes, and I also do it to help flush out solids, set a timer on my smart phone for no more than 5 minutes.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

road-runner

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winniman wrote:

I got distracted like this once with different results: (1) The result wasn't messy because the tank had been flushed well first, and (2) It wasn't a flood because the overflow ran out the roof vent. It taught me to not let myself get distracted during this operation.

(Some rigs have a sink or shower plumbed into the black tank, and they would have had a flood).

2009 Fleetwood Icon

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Is it common for people to close the valve with the hose still running in order to prime the tank with some fresh water?

I do close the valve with the flush water running, even though there are warning signs about never ever doing that. I'm just careful to not wander away or get distracted. I have to exercise the same caution when I'm filling my FW tank, because it can burst too. I like to get a half tank or so of water in the black tank to help float solids out. I might even do that a couple of times. I am definitely not obsessed with super clean tanks.

But your question seems to be if anyone does that to prime their black tank after dumping is complete. I don't do that. I go run a couple of bowls in the toilet, adding my chems at the same time. I don't think the flush system would give me a good estimate of how much water I was priming in the tank. Too little and I risk solids drying out, too much and I'm just wasting capacity for my next outing. Using the toilet bowl lets me see how much I'm adding.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never add water back to an empty black tank.

But when I go to dump my black tank, I always make sure it is full before dumping. If it is not full, then I have a small block of wood I keep in the bathroom that will wedge between the wall and the flapper valve, keeping the flush valve open and the flapper open, so that the toilet will fill the black tank.

Obviously you have to pay strict attention here and not wander off or you will flood your RV with poo water. I have never had that problem.

Once the tank is completely full, I pull the waste gate and let 'er rip.

I figure the full tank gives a nice "power flush".

I never use a hose or any other sprayer things to hose down my tank. It's clean enough - when it's empty and I look down the hole I can see daylight through the milky walls of the tank.

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm always surprised how much the flush system removes. I've drained. Added a good 20 gallons and drained again.

Then hooked up the hose and with a clear waste connector you can see it working.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I close the drain valve with the flush running to add a bit of water back into the tank.

I've also become distracted and then the tank split all the way across the bottom. I'm not sure if it's related to pressure from the flusher, or just overall water weight that caused the split. I still close it to add water for next use. But I always stay focused now.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Black Tank flush with valve closed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS