cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run Flat on back dually

angler
Explorer
Explorer
Had the oil changed and when they checked the tires the back inside dually was flat. Tire was check and deemed unusable. Could have been flat a while. I should be more proactive on checking the inside tires. You may chastise me for that if you wish:)

Anyway I had the trucking shop put a new tire on the dually in back and then I started reading that that may not have been the best option.

My thought is I would have to buy another tire put both new ones on the steer tires and the fronts on the back since the new tire has much more tread depth it could cause issues. Use the tire that wasn't flat but was handling most of the weight as a spare.

Is that the right thing to do? I'm checking the date codes to see how old the other tires are, but I think they are about 4 years old.
2020 Jayco 34RSBS
2002 Tiffin Allego Bay
2010 Keystone Springdale 29bhssr
1998 Jayco Lite 244
12 REPLIES 12

Bruce_Brown
Toyo has an excellent reputation, and normally they are less $$$ too.

I also never recall reading about any unexplained blowouts or premature cracked sidewalls either.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Not applicable
I’ve heard Toyos mentioned several times on different posts. I’m getting new (6) before trip in oct. Michelin’s because they are OE. Gettin them for $3100 out the door. Are Toyos, cheaper, better? My tires have 22k miles but are 6.5 years old w some slight tiny cracks.

Bruce_Brown
Wow, a Michelin blow out, whooda thought.

When our Michelin blew, parked in our garage, I replaced them all.

In the OPs case I'd at least do the 2 new up front, but honestly if it were me I'd replace them all - with a different brand too. If one went the rest are probably going tick, tick, tick.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had two occasions where I found the inside dual flat. First time I have no clue as to if I drove on it or not as I was parked. 2nd time I did drive on it. a couple hundred miles as it turns out.

No secondary damage tire still looked good till you thumped it or got under the rig and saw the blown out sidewall..

Now have new shoes (Tires)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

angler
Explorer
Explorer
Another Item to add to my list of things to check when buying a used RV. Look at ALL the date codes of every tire including the inside duals. They were 9 years old. others are 4. New tires in the works.
2020 Jayco 34RSBS
2002 Tiffin Allego Bay
1998 Jayco Lite 244

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I check ALL tires (tow vehicle and trailer) before each trip and kick check at rest stops. It does not guarantee no flat will happen but it cuts the likely hood of a ruined tire.

MrWizard
i prefer toyos over Michelin

i have had (2) blowouts on RV's with Michelin's
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

angler
Explorer
Explorer
They matched the Michelins for the new tire so I will buy the same tire For the steer wheels.
Michelins Xrv 235 80 22.5. May change out the backs based on date codes with something else. I really not unhappy with the tires. Hold air no weatherchecking Think I blew it out by running over a wood pallet.
2020 Jayco 34RSBS
2002 Tiffin Allego Bay
1998 Jayco Lite 244

Irish2
Explorer
Explorer
I would put the two new tires on the steers and the old steers, if they are still good, I would put them on my tags or on the duals.
I am starting to change my thinking on tires on the coach in that I have been using the higher price Michelins up to now, but at 25000 miles and 5 years they have sidewall cracking. So going forward, I am thinking that I will buy a less expensive set of tires next time, maybe Toyo, as I never wear them out anyway and the Michelins seem to dry rot on the side walls.
2013 Winnebago 42E
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

1Thunderjet2
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are on right path. Two new tires to the front, least tread or oldest for spare. I have likeD sized MH w22/8.1 I check the air every am when traveling,

On one trip 200 miles and about noon heard large boom and felt a shudder. MH still handling normal I pulled over to do a walk around. 1st thought was tire or windshield on towed jeep. all 10 tires looked good no body damage I could see.
pulled back on freeway ran 50 mph for 15 mins. all good got back to 65 mph for another 200 miles. next am on check tires inner left rear showing zero drove to tire store couple blocks away. asked for tire check. Tire guy tells me all look good but cant get pressure to fill one tire. after pulling tires from left rear I see a 3" dia hole in side wall.
stay safe
TJ

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
wallynm wrote:
If it was me I would be looking into a set of TPMS
x2. Only way to go.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
If it was me I would be looking into a set of TPMS for all 6 MH tires and the 4 frog tires. Saved me a few times and we never had a false alarm
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT