Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: height adjustment
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> height adjustment

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
machunt

cincinnati ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as mentioned in other post 2011 outback, 2013 chevy 1 ton dually. ive only had issues on this trip. i am only looking for a couple inches. and yes trailer sits very level as is. not really wanting to get into axle flipping and all that

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

machunt wrote:

as mentioned in other post 2011 outback, 2013 chevy 1 ton dually. ive only had issues on this trip. i am only looking for a couple inches. and yes trailer sits very level as is. not really wanting to get into axle flipping and all that

Do the spring hangers have lower holes that the spring can be moved to? Also Lippert Correct Track will raise the trailer 2" inches.

https://store.lci1.com/correct-track-suspension-alignment

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the Curt have any fore & aft adjustment? Moving the hitch head back will help keep the rear corners from hitting. I have my B&W set to the rear on this truck, helps a lot.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/19 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

machunt wrote:

What is your 5er to rail clearance currently? Is the pin box cushioned or fixed?
We have right at 6” clearance with level setup, we have one host site that exit is fairly sharp turn up hill, it gets close but doesn’t touch.
What are you driving over or where that you are making contact.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I have my B&W set to the rear on this truck, helps a lot."

Curious why you are setting your pin behind the center of axle instead of in front?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Curious why you are setting your pin behind the center of axle instead of in front?

Because I had the same problem the OP has. Entering or exiting my driveway with the 05 truck I had 1/4 to a 1/8 of inch between the bed corners and the underside of the overhang. The driveway slopes up to the road, the road is banked to the other side That truck set the hitch head 2” ahead of the axle. I had 7.5” over the bed rails. Now with the hitch moved back 3”, higher bed sides, and 6.5” over the rails, I have more than an inch. It takes more of an angle to close the vertical distance when the horizontal distance is less. Trailer tows very close to level, takes a tape to tell it’s not. Plus extra inches with the tailgate down. What’s not to like?

Does it take some weight off the front? Probably does. But I’ll bet I still have more weight on the front axle than a gas truck. And I’m a long long way from RGAWR. The benefit of having lots more truck than needed.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocamprs wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Because I had the same problem the OP has. Entering or exiting my driveway with the 05 truck I had 1/4 to a 1/8 of inch between the bed corners and the underside of the overhang. The driveway slopes up to the road, the road is banked to the other side That truck set the hitch head 2” ahead of the axle. I had 7.5” over the bed rails. Now with the hitch moved back 3”, higher bed sides, and 6.5” over the rails, I have more than an inch. It takes more of an angle to close the vertical distance when the horizontal distance is less. Trailer tows very close to level, takes a tape to tell it’s not. Plus extra inches with the tailgate down. What’s not to like?

Nice!
Does it take some weight off the front? Probably does. But I’ll bet I still have more weight on the front axle than a gas truck. And I’m a long long way from RGAWR. The benefit of having lots more truck than needed.

machunt

cincinnati ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/19 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because ian not real familiar with what you guys are talking about i will take pictures and post.

as to my curt hitch it is adjusted to the heighest point. i have some adjustment on the pin box but not much. what if i lowered the pin head ?

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes that will help with the bed clearance.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/19 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

machunt wrote:

Because ian not real familiar with what you guys are talking about i will take pictures and post.

as to my curt hitch it is adjusted to the heighest point. i have some adjustment on the pin box but not much. what if i lowered the pin head ?

You want your trailer to ride level for several reason.
1. Equal load on the axles.
2. Help prevent chucking.
3. Bed clearance.

Earlier in your thread I provide a link to a bolt on 'Correct Track' from Lippert that will raise the trailer 2", switching to taller tires can add a little more.

On edit: Looking at pictures of other similar models, it appears that you may already have the Correct Track setup.

Yes pictures would be nice. I try to error high at 8" of bed clearance. Chris

* This post was edited 09/23/19 08:31am by Me Again *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> height adjustment
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS