Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach
28 REPLIES 28

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Beyond the entry level Forza DP, Winnebago doesn't make anything bigger right now. The Horizon was on pause with the transfer back out of Junction City Oregon back to Forest City, and that is it. No Journey, Tour, Grand Tours in the lineup for the last year. Maybe Newmar will fill that spot for the higher end DPs.

Winnebago had to diversify or die, and they have been between Grand Design, Chris Craft and now Newmar. They could learn some things from each other I think. Winnebagos available documentation of build is not duplicated by any other builder that I have seen.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
So, the workers are not going to do shoddy work because the management is different.

They will if new management wants shoddy work; picks up the pace say. Nicer work takes more time and how much time a task is given is a management decision.

According to various reports and interviews, Matt Miller will remain on as President of the Newmar division and will also become a Winnebago VP. Newmar will continue to operate as a distinct business unit with its own management team.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, It will mean filling holes in the Winnebago D/P lineup and possibly becoming cost competitive with their competitors.

After seeing all the current D/P offerings in the $200-$325k range last week in Hershey, PA, they both need help in that price point. They are being seriously challenged from 2-3 other Manufacturers.

After scratching the surface of 6 different manufacturers, I came away targeting the Fleetwood Discovery line-up.

Look forward to the "new" offerings from Winnebago over the next couple years.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've had our Newmar Bay Star for over a year and we are very impressed with the quality and plan to keep it for many years.
Winnebago is still one of the better rv manufacturers but they can be inconsistent. We purchased a 2014 2201DS Minnie travel trailer new, and it was a very nice trailer. For the first couple of years, the Minnie line got high praises from purchasers, and then there were reports of some shoddy workmanship. I haven't followed the market, but I think they still make some good trailers, but you have to watch out for some lemons that get through the factory.

When looking for a used gas motorhome, Winnebago was on our short list with Newmar and Tiffin. I would still consider a Winnebago, but some of their lower/cheaper motor homes are definitely lower quality. In contrast, our Newmar BS is their entry level motor home but built to a high quality standard.

Time will tell what Winnebago does to the Newmar quality standard.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the Newmar we had was the worst motor home ever. We were constantly repair something. After a year and half we sold at a loss and bought another Winnebago. Hope that Winnebago quality does not degrade to that of our Newmar.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
So, the workers are not going to do shoddy work because the management is different.

They will if new management wants shoddy work; picks up the pace say. Nicer work takes more time and how much time a task is given is a management decision.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rk911 wrote:
is newmar currently using parts from Lippert?

lci Has taken over probably 70% of the RV supply chain. So, Newmar has to buy some components from LCI. Doug

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
is newmar currently using parts from Lippert?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Remember 1 Thing!!!!!! Newmar is a smaller maker of Class A gas and Diesel(with a new Super C). They have a limited production facility. They have a Loyal worker base. Very little turnover. So, I fail to see how quality would suffer. They have a 1 year warranty. They use the same appliances as other OEM's. So, the workers are not going to do shoddy work because the management is different. So, for at least until the 2022 model year, there should be no concerns. Doug

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago bought Grand Designs 3 years ago. How is that going? Would think this would be similar.

As mentioned above, probably all will be fine till the next crash, then all bets are off anyway.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
In the sort term I donโ€™t see any issues. In the long run...... as history has shown with other deals it may not be good!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
I find it personally interesting, as Winnebago and Newmar were my two final considerations when buying my Class A DP... While I haven't been privy to some of the negative issues of Winnebago noted above, it will be interesting to see how they blend their product line. I bought my Newmar because of their reputation for quality, the DP availability with a 35 footer, and pricing at the time. And though I've considered trading up, I'm curious how this acquisition will guide my interest in the coming years...

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the short term (5 years or so) I don't think we will see a difference. A bit like Thor and Jayco (Entegra) but that has only been two years so far. Beyond year 5 there's no telling what may or may not happen.

The problem is if we have another 2008 and how it effected the RV industry. If that happens both Winnie and Thor may cook and eat both golden geese to save the parent corp.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Of course we don't know the financial arrangements of the sale, so it's possible that it's mainly a stock deal where the Miller family can spread out the proceeds as best fits their tax situations. And Matt Miller is staying on as president, presumably with a decent salary and benefits.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate