Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Assateague Island

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
We are thinking about taking our TT to Assateague Island during Christmas break.Would like to hear from people who have done this. Not sure weather wise if it's a good idea. Thanks.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
6 REPLIES 6

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Coming from New Hampshire I'm sure you understand cold weather. Although December cold in MD maybe warm compared to New Hampshire in December.
Other than the cold it's doable. Not sure I'd want to do it, but if you a feeling adventurous go for it!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We spend much of the winter months on the Oregon Coast very close to the ocean. Yes, it can be cool in the winter, but you have a trailer for shelter.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
First reaction...Brrrrrrrr! Been there late October & had it cold then. Never been in the SP. Always the National Seashore area & always on the bayside loops which are much more sheltered from the wind.

If you are determined to do some Christmas camping on the Delmarva I would be much more inclined to use one of the inland & sheltered parks like Killens Pond SP, Martinak SP or Tuckahoe SP.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Never stayed there in December, but did in October. It was chilly for sure. But you can have some nice sunny days too. The State Park is the only one with electric and they only have one loop. Some of the loops in the NP allow generators.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
First, I would check to see how the area fared after Hurricane Dorian. Know some of the Outer Banks received some real damage. Have been in that area several times around Christmas. It is usually windy (totally usual for the area) and temps can be near freezing - although there were times it was more like October than December). Not at all sure campgrounds in that area would be open in December. Perhaps check rvparkreviews.com for names and contact info in the area.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

I have not stayed there over that time, but have been there in the spring-summer and fall...

The one concern I would have ( if its even a concern? ) would be the temps and wind... with it being right on the Atlantic, the wind typically is higher, and at that time of year it would be blowing cold air... possibly

That's all fine if that's what you want, I am not so sure there are any other negatives???
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet