Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: New Truck and 5th wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New Truck and 5th wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems you start to run close to or over numbers around 15,000# (loaded weight) 5th wheel on a modern SRW 3500. As pointed out, there are variables depending on % pin weight and how much you travel with in the truck. In planning my next 5th wheel purchase, I'm purposely trying to stay under that 15K number. Despite all the encouraging advice, I have no interest in driving a DRW truck every day. Honestly, driving a SRW full-size truck is enough of a PITA for my lifestyle, job, where I live, etc.

Dex66

New Braunfels

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the help I don't plan on pulling the 5th wheel a lot The wife and I are going to be full time Rv I plan I just pulling it to a park and leaving it there and if I need to move it after awhile I want to make sure the truck can handle the weight and be able to stop.This truck will be my daily driver

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/19 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Me_Again, managed to get a 5er with loaded pin of 2,840# or 18% of the 5ers GVWR. In many cases that will result in a fair amount of chucking. He is also 40# over GVWR, no big deal.

If he ran near 22% like many need to have a smooth ride, his pin would be 3,340#, now he would be 540# over GVWR. Seeing how most of that goes on the rear axle, he would also over his rear axle rating.

Yes it can be done with a 5er that will have a pin less than 20% loaded. Our 32' 12,500# scaled 5er has a pin of 2,700# which is just under 22%, with the 1,361# of passengers, pets and STUFF we carry, we would likely be over GVWR with a 350/3500 SRW.

DRW too BIG??? We daily drive ours, not too many places I don't take it, learn to back into parking spaces in lots.

Note truck was 8900 ready to tow. I could have removed 400-500 of stuff. Chris

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Dex66

New Braunfels

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found and spread sheet online and if I put the # in right for the Ram I should have about 1400lb. available for payload the truck won't have anything in it for weight. The ram has a payload of 4330 lb.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/19 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dex66 wrote:

Thank you all for the help I don't plan on pulling the 5th wheel a lot The wife and I are going to be full time Rv I plan I just pulling it to a park and leaving it there and if I need to move it after awhile I want to make sure the truck can handle the weight and be able to stop.This truck will be my daily driver

“IF” the trailer has adequate braking, the truck will experience little to no additional load on the braking. This is one of the reasons many people are exceedingly happy with hydraulic disk brakes on their trailers. If stopping requires a great deal of assistance from the truck brakes....the trailer has brake issues. Many manufacturers use the absolute minimum they can get away with on many components.....axles and brakes are some of these components. Dollars saved in manufacture is additional dollars profit....which keeps the “bean counters” happy!

We fully understand your dilemma, as our truck “is not” a dedicated tow vehicle. It is used for many things that a DRW is very impractical for. Likely your biggest potential limiting factor is the truck tires/rims and rear suspension. Air bags can overcome the rear suspension deficit, as most trucks are “softly” sprung for ride comfort. In the past we’ve towed ( short runs) much heavier than your proposed weight....but I certainly would not recommend making it a common practice!

We would also “highly” recommend a long wheel base. While a little long for many city parking lots, the benefits far outweigh the negatives! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/19 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

Me_Again, managed to get a 5er with loaded pin of 2,840# or 18% of the 5ers GVWR. In many cases that will result in a fair amount of chucking. He is also 40# over GVWR, no big deal.

If he ran near 22% like many need to have a smooth ride, his pin would be 3,340#, now he would be 540# over GVWR. Seeing how most of that goes on the rear axle, he would also over his rear axle rating.

Yes it can be done with a 5er that will have a pin less than 20% loaded. Our 32' 12,500# scaled 5er has a pin of 2,700# which is just under 22%, with the 1,361# of passengers, pets and STUFF we carry, we would likely be over GVWR with a 350/3500 SRW.

DRW too BIG??? We daily drive ours, not too many places I don't take it, learn to back into parking spaces in lots.

Note truck was 8900 ready to tow. I could have removed 400-500 of stuff. Chris

Chris, I don't think you would leave the golf clubs at home!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/19 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a dually 1 ton, long bed, crew cab. As above no regrets. The crew cab is to be able to have our grand kids with us, etc. The long bed is because we boondock a lot so we can haul a 60 gallon water bladder in front of the 5th wheel along with the 50 gallon aux fuel tank. Between the 5th wheel and the Tgate we put our 2 Honda gennys, 2 5 gallon gas cans and then stuff that goes with them and it's all in a zip up, waterproof container. It's a daily driver and my better half can drive it if she has to. Do your homework when it comes to GVWR of the vehicle you may be looking at. How much weight can you can you actually put in the truck after being hooked up the fiver. You, passengers and anything else you may bring along. Just be safe. The dually is wider at the rear but for me that makes it easier to hook up using the mirrors. My 45 cents worth.

Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dex66 wrote:

I found and spread sheet online and if I put the # in right for the Ram I should have about 1400lb. available for payload the truck won't have anything in it for weight. The ram has a payload of 4330 lb.

There is no Ram 3500 srw that can carry 4330 lbs in the bed as payload without blowing its 7000 RAWR number. That the fallacy of using newer truck high gvwr based payloads to assume a in the bed payload such as pin weight and other gear/stuff the rear axle will carry.
These size trucks rear axle can weigh in the 3200-3400 lb range. Now add 4330 lb of payload in the bed = around 7700 lbs for a 700 lb overload. Time for 19.5" tires and wheels and air bags/etc with that payload.
OP keep in mind that 4330 payload number is a gvwr based payload which comes from the trucks front and rear axles.

About the most the 3500 srw can carry in the bed will be around 3500-3800 lbs depending on cab selections....drive selections....wheel base selections.

Your starting with a 14k dry weight trailer. Now add 1200-1500 lbs of "stuff" and your looking at maybe a 15.5k lb trailer....maybe more depending on how much necessary junk [emoticon] you want to carry.

Your gonna' be close to max if you load lite.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Dex66 wrote:

There is no Ram 3500 srw that can carry 4330 lbs in the bed as payload without blowing its 7000 RAWR number. That the fallacy of using newer truck high gvwr based payloads to assume a in the bed payload such as pin weight and other gear/stuff the rear axle will carry.
These size trucks rear axle can weigh in the 3200-3400 lb range. Now add 4330 lb of payload in the bed = around 7700 lbs for a 700 lb overload. Time for 19.5" tires and wheels and air bags/etc with that payload.
OP keep in mind that 4330 payload number is a gvwr based payload which comes from the trucks front and rear axles.

About the most the 3500 srw can carry in the bed will be around 3500-3800 lbs depending on cab selections....drive selections....wheel base selections.

Your starting with a 14k dry weight trailer. Now add 1200-1500 lbs of "stuff" and your looking at maybe a 15.5k lb trailer....maybe more depending on how much necessary junk [emoticon] you want to carry.

Your gonna' be close to max if you load lite.

I would agree, I find it interesting how hard people will push the capacity of 350/3500 SRW to avoid getting a DRW.
You do start running into tire and axle capacity issues with a SRW.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/19 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m a big advocate of a SRW truck..... properly outfitted. If our truck was a dedicated tow vehicle for heavy towing, it would be a DRW. Obviously, there is a limit how much weight you can carry with a SRW.....even when probably outfitted. The same can be said for a DRW! But, there are several very good reasons to try and stay with a SRW, that many folks cannot fathom! memtb

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New Truck and 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS