Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: What do you leave behind when gone for the day?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What do you leave behind when gone for the day?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
fulldec

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this must have been discussed but my search skills have failed me. If you can point me to a thread covering this fine, no need to rehash it.

I'm not new to camping or tents and trailers, but I'd like to know what motorhome owners use to "mark their spot" when they leave the park for the day to keep someone from moving into the spot. Also, what are your thoughts on what might disappear while you are gone?

I suppose this is a non-problem, but I think it would worry me,

Thanks in advance,

Don

diazr2

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I leave my fifth wheel behind.. LOL But I have seen lounge chairs.. BBQ grills, Sun shades, and all types of towels and stuff. I don't believe there is a big problem of stuff disappearing. At least it has never happen to me. I've been Rving for over 40 years. Hope this helped you. Oh and I have also seen the pick nick table that belongs to the camp sight moved into the parking area.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen a sign that says "this site taken". I have also seen the picnic table moved to the parking area as stated above. A few personal items should do the trick.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have left some things as others have said with no problems,recently I had to laugh and got a real kick out of it when a person near me at a campground left THIS at their campsite...[emoticon]

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots depends on the campground. In a monitored campground (private or organized government), I just leave the utility connections, what ever is on the table, chairs, etc, as each spot is supervised by the staff. In a non-monitored campground, I gauge the surroundings and may leave stuff or may pack most of it up; it all depends on the feel of the area and occupants. I do have a government issued "Do Not Enter" sign I use at federal, state, county or municipal campground and have never had anyone try and sneak into the spot.

If anywhere but a quality RV campground, it comes down to your observation of the campgrounds and users. The regular method I see that seems to work the best is cones with a bight colored rope between them across the entrance. Not sure why that works so well, but it appears too.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oooh, a government issued sign....that makes a difference, lol.

To the OP, if you're in an established pay for your site campground or rv park with numbered sites and/or reservation tags, you don't need to leave anything. Why would you unless it's more convienent than taking it with?
Boondocking, yeah leave some chairs camp stove, whatever you don't feel like packing up.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never been in that situation being a TT and 5er consumer, but we always carry a small tent of some kind with us that can be set up quickly. Right now, we have a port-a-potty / shower pop-up wire type tent thingie that folds up flat in a bag. We've used to carry a kiddie pop-up tent with us, all the time, but never used it for marking an empty campsite. But it was there for the grandkids to play in.

FYI, I love that shower-pop-up-port-a-potty tent thing, because I really like taking showers outside. No... I don't do that at campsites, I do it at home!

lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To put a different twist to this-I arrived at an RV campground in B.C.-went into the office to check in and make final payment for site-had all ready put a credit card deposit down-and sign paperwork. Went to reserved site and there was another RV in it-totally hooked up. Went back to office to find out what was going on-they had a 1:00 PM vacate site policy. The previous renter's RV was still there but the owners were not. It was hot-mid afternoon-and we were tired. Office said the site should be vacant-there were no other sites available. They tried to reach RV owners-no luck. Thankfully, the owners came back about 6:30 P.M.-gave the office some excuse for still being there-unhooked and left. It was a tough afternoon and evening. Office was apologetic. We moved into site and that was that.

04 F250,CC, 4x4, Dsl., LgBd, XLT, SuperDuty, Cmpr Pkg, Off Rd Pkg

07 Arctic Fox 29 5T
Toad Riv B.C.
17 Chev/CLS C F.R. Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lhenry8113 wrote:

To put a different twist to this-I arrived at an RV campground in B.C.-went into the office to check in and make final payment for site-had all ready put a credit card deposit down-and sign paperwork. Went to reserved site and there was another RV in it-totally hooked up. Went back to office to find out what was going on-they had a 1:00 PM vacate site policy. The previous renter's RV was still there but the owners were not. It was hot-mid afternoon-and we were tired. Office said the site should be vacant-there were no other sites available. They tried to reach RV owners-no luck. Thankfully, the owners came back about 6:30 P.M.-gave the office some excuse for still being there-unhooked and left. It was a tough afternoon and evening. Office was apologetic. We moved into site and that was that.

And as a resolution the CG Staff should have CHARGED the late departure 1 day site fee AND refunded you the 1 day fee.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just leave our 125 pound jet black chow lab mix behind, usually inside the RV. He's friendly with us, not very friendly with strangers. Never had an issue

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What do you leave behind when gone for the day?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS