Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Back hurting from bed in travel trailer - need advice please
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Back hurting from bed in travel trailer - need advice please

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
whiteeye42

Rock Springs Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

get a purple mattress

Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always agreed with folks that say you spend thousands of dollars on a TT,RV or %er and they give you a bag of straw for a mattress.
I've bought custom ones and mostly of late the Jayco folks have allowed for a residential one which works for us a we by one of the ones like at home. The biggest difference is the height our mattress must be 40% taller than what they give you.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

OregonMan

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whiteeye42 wrote:

get a purple mattress

Haha... is this a paid ad? I've been seeing their commercials constantly.

Slept on the floor with a sleeping pad last night and my back hurts significantly less than it does when I sleep in my bed. It's clear I need a firm mattress, my current one is too soft. The problem with mattress shopping on Amazon is that you kinda just cross your fingers that the mattress is going to work out without feeling it first. I miss my mattress I used in my apartment but it's a normal queen, not short queen size.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OregonMan wrote:

I'm getting really tired of having back pain from sleeping in my trailer bed, and over the past few weeks it has gotten noticeably worse. I'm a 230lb male.

With all due respect, if you can comfortably sleep on a short queen, you are probably 5'10" or less and at 230 lbs. your belly is causing your back pain, not your mattress!

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

OregonMan wrote:

I'm getting really tired of having back pain from sleeping in my trailer bed, and over the past few weeks it has gotten noticeably worse. I'm a 230lb male.

With all due respect, if you can comfortably sleep on a short queen, you are probably 5'10" or less and at 230 lbs. your belly is causing your back pain, not your mattress!

Get a "real" mattress period I don't care what you weigh. My bed at home gives me no problem!

cpaulsen

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 03:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been using Serta iComfort mattresses for quite a few years...first was queen size and then with a new 5ver...we went with the king size...! Little spendy but it works for us.

cpaulsen

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STANG23L wrote:

I picked up a Dynasty Mattress 10GEL from amazon. Was a little leery seeing the price point is pretty low. But have been extremely happy with it. Prefer it over mattress in my house!

I have had serious back problems all my adult life. 2 years ago I had extensive surgery and then we got a new Dynasty Mattress from Amazon. It is amazing and I can sleep on it every night with no problem. It is firm enough that when DH moves around or gets up during the night, I never move.

Prior to my surgery, however, we slept on cheap Intek air mattresses with a 2 inch foam topper. It was the only thing that would give me relief. The sleep number beds are really cheaply made and so over rated. The cheap air mattresses did the trick for us for 13 years of fulltiming, until I had my surgery. Incidently, my surgery was a great success and I am pain free now for the first time in 46 years.

The other thing is what is your base? Is it a platform bed? It should be. . . any kind of sofa bed or dinette, etc., is NEVER going to be comfortable. If your platform is not solid. . . one piece with NO seams, etc., get a sheet of plywood and put it down. I'm like the princess and the pea. If there is one piece of anything under the mattress, I'm going to feel it.

Good luck.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cpaulsen wrote:

We have been using Serta iComfort mattresses for quite a few years...first was queen size and then with a new 5ver...we went with the king size...! Little spendy but it works for us.

We have that in our house. I wake up with a stiff back, but hubby does not. Our FW king mattress is an innerspring memory foam top mattress, now 9 years old and showing its age. Hubby wakes up with a stiff back, I do not! Well, we ordered a Wilderness RV matress, Montana Hybrid. We shall see how it works out. We have 100 days to try it.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Cecilt

Page

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/19 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a Lucid 10" memory foam gel short queen in May. Very Firm but I don't have any back or shoulder pain. I didn't think I would like it but it is great. Around $240 on Amazon.

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deete

* This post was last edited 10/01/19 05:16pm by winnietrey *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Back hurting from bed in travel trailer - need advice please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS