cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chevy, Ford... going into electric trucks.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
We're living in exciting times.

Ford intend to have cargo space infront in place of the engines.

And think of roomy interior and high ground clearance without those gear boxes and power train with batteries arrayed in the floor end-to-end.

Best part, less stopping for pocket-busting fill ups.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-gm-rev-electric-pickup-100552081.html
360 REPLIES 360

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
...I have a little more confidence that someone who was able to land a rocket back into a barge --- when landing Challenger back to an airport is like threading a needle from 10 floors up with the wind blowing --- can solve this problem of range.:)

Remember the first EVs had range of 30 to 50 miles?

But yes you are correct, range limitations and towing capabilities are deal breaker for us.

I have more confidence in an Automobile manufacturer that built EVs in 1996 with a range of 70 miles!

What? How about the poor horse drawn carriage? :B

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
...I have a little more confidence that someone who was able to land a rocket back into a barge --- when landing Challenger back to an airport is like threading a needle from 10 floors up with the wind blowing --- can solve this problem of range.:)

But yes you are correct, range limitations and towing capabilities are deal breaker for us.

I have more confidence in an Automobile manufacturer that built EVs in 1996 with a range of 70 miles!
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
...A home fueling station takes about 3 minutes to setup in its simplest form on a 120 volts plug. Even 240 is pretty easy in most houses. This was our outside charge station for the first three years of EV driving. That’s our Christmas light soffit plug that the EVSE is plugged into...

My daughter is one of those 99% charging her Tesla X mostly at home.

That's why she can't give me an update about Tesla's offsites supercharging stations which I'm interested in in case I choose a Tesla pick up for my new towing truck.

I know that electric is the wave of the future, but right now I can't fathom only being able to tow for 100 miles or less on a charge, have to disconnect the trailer to charge, and wait an hour or more to be back on the road. Once those issues are solved, and I have confidence they will, sign me up!

I have a little more confidence that someone who was able to land a rocket back into a barge --- when landing Challenger back to an airport is like threading a needle from 10 floors up with the wind blowing --- can solve this problem of range.:)

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Reisender wrote:
We are all in the same boat. We’ll have to see.

Don't you mean same truck???

Riiiiiight! :B

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Reisender wrote:
We are all in the same boat. We’ll have to see.

Don't you mean same truck???
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
rjstractor wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
...A home fueling station takes about 3 minutes to setup in its simplest form on a 120 volts plug. Even 240 is pretty easy in most houses. This was our outside charge station for the first three years of EV driving. That’s our Christmas light soffit plug that the EVSE is plugged into...

That's why she can't give me an update about Tesla's offsites supercharging stations which I'm interested in in case I choose a Tesla pick up for my new towing truck.

I know that electric is the wave of the future, but right now I can't fathom only being able to tow for 100 miles or less on a charge, have to disconnect the trailer to charge, and wait an hour or more to be back on the road. Once those issues are solved, and I have confidence they will, sign me up!

Fair enough. But I don’t think anyone knows the towing specs of a Tesla 1/2 ton yet. Or Rivian or Ford. We are all in the same boat. We’ll have to see.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Reisender wrote:

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Semi has its own thread. Is there any GM or RAM news?

I think RAM or Toyota will be last to have an EV truck

Not even news that they are on development for one.

I wonder for Toyota, they were ahead on hybrid -- and suddenly, have had no entry on full EV.

Time and Sam - Maybe you blocked me - I indicated last week that it was stated as part of the UAW agreement that GM would build the electric pickup in Detroit-Hamtramck plan. More news today regarding the 2021 plans. I will just let you go find it.

LOL, I don't block -- even the most annoying.

But thanks for the info. Again, I'm directionally going to go for an EV pick up for my next tow vehicle. So I follow developments in this regard.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
time2roll wrote:

I wonder for Toyota, they were ahead on hybrid -- and suddenly, have had no entry on full EV.

Time and Sam - Maybe you blocked me - I indicated last week that it was stated as part of the UAW agreement that GM would build the electric pickup in Detroit-Hamtramck plan. More news today regarding the 2021 plans. I will just let you go find it.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
time2roll wrote:

They announced recently they will be staying with hydrogen fuel cell development.

How the review on their hydrogen fuel cell cars?

It's more than one year in the market and must have some customer-user's feedback by now.

From what I read the car is fine. It’s the refueling that is the problem. Few and far in between. Expensive. Energy intense to make. Hard to transport. There have been a couple incidents and since then many of the refueling spots have been closed. They have actually been in production for a few years. They are competing against electric which can be fuelled at literally billions of electrical outlets in the world. A home fueling station takes about 3 minutes to setup in its simplest form on a 120 volts plug. Even 240 is pretty easy in most houses. This was our outside charge station for the first three years of EV driving. That’s our Christmas light soffit plug that the EVSE is plugged into. Kinda tough to set up home fueling with hydrogen, and 95 percent of all the charging EV drivers do is at home.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toyota does have some hydrogen fleet trucks hauling containers around port of Los Angeles.
Would like to see a consumer truck and see how that is received.
Mirai is a slow seller. Very few fueling stations so that cuts into range a bit also.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
time2roll wrote:

They announced recently they will be staying with hydrogen fuel cell development.

How the review on their hydrogen fuel cell cars?

It's more than one year in the market and must have some customer-user's feedback by now.