cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any of you guys winterizing with air only?

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
In my 10+ years of travel trailer ownership here in the Pacific NW, I've never used anything other than compressed air to blow out my lines and winterize. I haven't used any of the pink stuff, apart from pouring some down the drain traps and to maintain the toilet seal.

I park my camper in Eastern WA for a few months each winter, where temps are frequently in the teens and below, and I haven't had any problems with freeze damage.

Now that I have a new 5th wheel that I'll be winterizing for the 1st time, I want to revisit this logic to make sure I'm not running any risks. Do any of you simply use air to blow out the lines, on top of, of course, draining the water heater and emptying the tanks?
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L
56 REPLIES 56

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
happy2rv wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:

Thatโ€™s helps, I have one , but have you seen what comes out when you drain one ?
I donโ€™t worry I donโ€™t blow the lines.

I use an oil less compressor with an in line air filter. Set the regulator to less than 60 PSI and I make sure to take the air out of the top of the compressor tank, not the water out of drain at the bottom of the tank ;). Is the air completely clean? Likely not.

I don't worry too much about it because before I use it again I will do a full sensitization and system flush.

There is no wrong way here, but some need to be aware of what they are blowing into those lines. Used AF for years with no issues.

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:

Thatโ€™s helps, I have one , but have you seen what comes out when you drain one ?

I use an oil less compressor with an in line air filter. Set the regulator to less than 60 PSI and I make sure to take the air out of the top of the compressor tank, not the water out of drain at the bottom of the tank ;). Is the air completely clean? Likely not.

I don't worry too much about it because before I use it again I will do a full sensitization and system flush.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
One that doesn't use oil.

TomS1345 wrote:
What is a good air compressor to blow out lines?

I open the two low point drains , open all the faucets etc , that allows all the lines that can drain out , drain . Drain the water heater , all the tanks. Bypass the water heater , and fill the lines with AF. Fill the traps with AF . Finished

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
One that doesn't use oil.

TomS1345 wrote:
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TomS1345
Explorer
Explorer

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
naw, I am a pink stuff guy. ๐Ÿ™‚

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
we live in north carolina.. generally mild winters although we do go down into the teens at times. we usually go on a few weekend trips during winter if forecast is above freezing.

ive always done the compressed air. making sure to remember outside shower faucet, toilet etc. finishing with low point drains.

i pour rv antifreeze in sink traps and a few gallons to black tank and grey tanks to reach valves.

so far no problems

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting responses. There is a bit of science behind why water doesn't completely freeze even when it gets into the teens at night. Those who use air only are mostly in warmer places that don't get deep freezes for days, or even weeks at a time. Anyone living in the northern states or Canada knows what I'm talking about. In SE WI we had days of -20 over the winter. Not the wind chill, the actual temperature. With day time highs of -10.

The issue I've seen, and have had myself, is getting the water out of all the valves and faucets. Even a small amount of water in a valve can cause cracks. I had this happen in a previous trailer. I failed to open one of water heater bypass valves and allow pink stuff through. The next spring I had a leak.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailers has enough low point drain lines that hardly any water comes out with just air. Thatโ€™s been good for me. The KISS system for me.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I used to use air only until one year my old class C split the line to the toilet. I assume water pooled down from the valve to a connector and froze.

Switched to air followed with AF.

Then I was cleaning my air/oil separator and draining the compressor tank and realized that I wouldn't fill SCUBA tanks with that air and breathe it, so why would I put it in my water lines?

Only AF now for me.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I haven't had to "BLOW" the lines since 2010.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I blow out with air and sometimes I'll suck about a cup of plumber's antifreeze into the lines to protect the pump. It gets dowm to minus 30 here.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
RV Antifreeze for me. It's on sale here for $2.50 a gallon right now. I know my pipes and fixtures will not break over winter and I also know it is designed not to make me sick next year.
For the air compressor guys and gals, do yourself a favor and buy a 3 foot or longer piece of clear rubber tubing. Put it on the end of your airline and blow air through it for a few minutes. Now look at the inside of that tube. If you have an expensive compressor with filters on it you may still have a clear tube. For those like me that have the $100 harbor freight specials with no filters, you will likely see oil and or rusty water left behind. Not what I want to introduce to my water lines.

That is why I use the pink stuff, my old compressor has always had dirty water in the air discharge.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
As you can tell everyone winterizes the way they feel is best for them. I don't care how you use air, air pressure will short circuit water. It will blow out the water ok when the lines are full but once it drops to about 1/2 or less in the lines the air will blow over it. I always drain everything and then run the antifreeze in. It is really cheap insurance for a very expensive rig.

I do use air for my ice maker though. I disconnect the inlet water feed and use pink stuff up to that point. I then push the water out carefully BUT my frig stays plugged in all year and the rv is sheltered. I have a ceramic electric heater in it set at 32 degrees just for an extra margin of safety.

As I said to each his own.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023