Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bit Off WAY more than we can chew...

KCC
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All!

My husband and I purchased a fifth wheel -- 2008 Keystone 289BHS --- to remodel back in April.
Evidently, we are a little in over our heads.
I am throwing a bone in hopes someone on here is in our area (Southwest Ohio) and would be willing to help teach us a few things and perhaps even help us with a few of the things we are wanting to do (ie; remove the toilet, replace with new one, remove the sink vanity in neck and cap the line, etc.) with compensation of course!
Really crossing my fingers that there is an angel waiting to help us out there.
Many thanks in advance !!

Katie
17 REPLIES 17

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Cut your losses - sell it.

I say BS to that! Just look it up on YouTube. It will be there, and most of those things you want to do are very simple. Good luck, have a blast, and don't let anybody discourage you!

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Get a cordless drill set of assorted drivers ( screw Flat an 4way) hex, star, square. hand held tool flashlight, lowes/hd has pex and the other plastice tubing clamps, look at the video of toilet replacement 1 ours finished, and the sink just make sure water is off, cut the lines/hoses and start looking for screws of one kind or another the go for it.
Would love to help but in the Philippines on vacation for a while. as said most are easy just time consuming but the experience will be worth it. KEEP the trailer and SPIRIT worry about the things you can do whiuch ic everything.

KCC
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the suggestions !
The bones of the trailer are great, it was just outdated, as most rv's are!
I have zero intention of selling it! Will figure this out one way or another, was just looking for some expert advice/assistance.

Thanks again! Happy traveling!

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
youtube and goodle search as well as specific questions on forums will take care of most of your needs. i knew nothing about maintaining an rv 3 years ago but now can do about 90 percent of it myself and i am no handy man.

mobile rv tech would be worth the money on certain things like ac, propane, slides, electric etc.

good luck and be patient. once its done right it will be worth it.

and remember its not a stick and brick home. doesn't have to be perfect. all brand new rv's have some type of things that need repair or attention. main thing is get it "campable" and go camping.

rsgs
Explorer
Explorer
All those jobs are easy. As someone said, lean on YouTube for help. Most are just intuitive. We bought a second fifth wheel last year for $1000. that someone just gave up on. Only real issue was the o-ring in the hydraulic pump for the slide needed to be replaced and a couple of outside fittings. He gave up because he thought it was too big of a job. $3.50 for the o-ring and about $50 for the fittings and she looks brand new again with 0 issues. Don't be mis-lead by those telling you to sell it. You can do it.

John and Robyn
Penny (Brittany)
ยท2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW 4x4 Crew LB
ยท2004 Fleetwood/Prowler Regal Extreme Edition 2952 Bunk
-2005 Forest River 28RK

[img][/img]

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
yes you did.

cut your future losses. sell it, and buy one that does not need a rebuild.
sorry to say this, but even for me these two jobs you listed are easy ones, and if you are having problems already, whats down the rd for you, you do not know how to deal with.

but enough with the darkside.

get on u-tube, and watch videos of how to do these jobs. and there are a number of books (yes real paper books) out there you can read (with photos) and learn to do it yourself.
i learned how to rebuild V8 race motors before i could drive, by being handed a wrench and told to do it.
take your time, learn how to do it right, and where others failed.
after your done, you get to say, I did it.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
Call Phil at Southwest RV Service in Ross, Ohio just north of Mt. Rumpke. If you are from southwest Ohio, you know what I'm referring to. They are the best for RV repair or renovations. Can do some or all of your project.
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
KCC wrote:
Cut our losses? What loss? It's a perfectly fine trailer. Just needs updated.
Thanks for the "help"!

What you're talking about is really minor upgrades. Watch some youtube videos and start turning some wrenches. On a scale of 1-10 in complexity, this is level 1 or 2 type stuff.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
bgum wrote:
Mobile RV tech is your best option.

Do this for a big item, and get some good advice from him for other things while he's there.

KCC
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:

Cut our losses? What loss? It's a perfectly fine trailer. Just needs updated.
Thanks for the "help"!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
KCC wrote:
Hello All!

My husband and I purchased a fifth wheel -- 2008 Keystone 289BHS --- to remodel back in April.
Evidently, we are a little in over our heads.
I am throwing a bone in hopes someone on here is in our area (Southwest Ohio) and would be willing to help teach us a few things and perhaps even help us with a few of the things we are wanting to do (ie; remove the toilet, replace with new one, remove the sink vanity in neck and cap the line, etc.) with compensation of course!
Really crossing my fingers that there is an angel waiting to help us out there.
Many thanks in advance !!

Katie

Lets see "My husband and I purchased a fifth wheel -- 2008 Keystone 289BHS--- to remodel back in April." and now you say you do not know how to remodel "things"! Break out the check book or get on you-tube and learn. Some community colleges might of courses on RV maintenance.

https://www.escapees.com/education/rvers-online-university/
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spend some time on you-tube and get out your tools.

Don't worry about perfect. RV is just a tool to get out camping. Good enough is just fine.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Mobile RV tech is your best option.