cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide Out Making Banging Sound

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
When I extend or retract one of my slide outs, it makes several banging noises that are coming from the underside of the RV. This happens every couple of seconds. I opened up the coroplast and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I also lubed the rails real good while I had the underbelly opened up but it made no difference. What else should I be looking for?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
22 REPLIES 22

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
golf_bears wrote:
RobWNY, what repair facility are you talking about?

I'm not going to name names. They are a reputable RV dealer with a service department that has very good google reviews located in Northwest PA

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY, what repair facility are you talking about?

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what the repair facility said about my slide problem. They aren't sure what the problem is. The gear teeth are fine, nothing else looks out of the ordinary either. They think it might be a burred or oblong bearing/sleeve in the Actuator. Price of a new Actuator is $327.25 and it will take three hours labor to install it at $120/Hr. They offer no guarantee that it will solve the problem. I declined because I didn't want to spend $730 with tax and maybe still have the problem. I'll wait until something breaks (if it ever does) and make a decision on what to do then.

rav
Explorer
Explorer
golf_bears wrote:
The phone number I use is 574-312-6112. It's the service department number. A secretary will answer, she'll tranfer you to the service department case write up person. The case write up person will create a case number and then someone else will set up a schedule date for thr repairs.

thank you!

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
The phone number I use is 574-312-6112. It's the service department number. A secretary will answer, she'll tranfer you to the service department case write up person. The case write up person will create a case number and then someone else will set up a schedule date for thr repairs.

rav
Explorer
Explorer
golf_bears wrote:
I'm going through something similar. My slide is moved in and out with a hydraulic cylinder. When I first got the loud noise when closing the slide, I found I had sheared 4 teeth off the pinion gear which drives the rack attached to the slide. Had it fixed once but they never really got it right. Loud noise continued. It happened again, slide was not closing completely on one end, stuck out 2-1/2 inches. Had another tech look at and fix. Pinion gear still intact, no teeth sheared. Made the adjustment to the pinion and rack so slide would close. Now it has done it again, slide sticks out 2-1/2 inches. So called Lippert and discussed with their tech guy. Long story short, the pinion gear is jumping out of the rack, which is why there is a loud noise. What is happening is the tube the rack slides through has bulged out and allows the rack and pinion to disengage for a few teeth. So now I have an appointment set with Lippert to fix the problem. They will fix the tube and add reinforcement so it does not bulge out again. Theyโ€™ve had other customers with the same problem so they are well aware of the problem. The suggested fix makes sense to me. Perhaps you have the same problem???

same issue as yours- do you have a contact number for Lippert and maybe someone to talk to about it. thanks

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going through something similar. My slide is moved in and out with a hydraulic cylinder. When I first got the loud noise when closing the slide, I found I had sheared 4 teeth off the pinion gear which drives the rack attached to the slide. Had it fixed once but they never really got it right. Loud noise continued. It happened again, slide was not closing completely on one end, stuck out 2-1/2 inches. Had another tech look at and fix. Pinion gear still intact, no teeth sheared. Made the adjustment to the pinion and rack so slide would close. Now it has done it again, slide sticks out 2-1/2 inches. So called Lippert and discussed with their tech guy. Long story short, the pinion gear is jumping out of the rack, which is why there is a loud noise. What is happening is the tube the rack slides through has bulged out and allows the rack and pinion to disengage for a few teeth. So now I have an appointment set with Lippert to fix the problem. They will fix the tube and add reinforcement so it does not bulge out again. Theyโ€™ve had other customers with the same problem so they are well aware of the problem. The suggested fix makes sense to me. Perhaps you have the same problem???

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
After cogitating on this for a few days, could the clutch be slipping a notch? Clutch could have a slick spot on it =or=, more likely IMO, a "tight" spot that causes the clutch to slip. I'd check to see if it happens at the same spot each time. Measure the distance traveled, in and out, and see. Then check the slide to see if something's causing the bind.

Lyle

good thought there. So the next question would be if the Noise is exactly the same as when the clutch slips?

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RobWNY wrote:
bobbyg123, your problem sounds more like a lubrication issue. Both campers I've owned squeeled terribly. I had the dealer lube the rails that weren't exposed and that problem went away. I learned after the first camper to have the dealer do that before I took it off their lot.

laknox, It could be clutch related. That rapid click when fully extended or retracted doesn't happen on that slide anymore.

Gjac, your thoughts make sense too. Hopefully it's not a big deal and not too costly. As luck would have it, the camper is out of warranty by 5 months.

I'll know next week when it gets looked at. I'll post to this thread to report what I learn.

My old Komfort had a rack and pinion slide and it said specifically not to lube it. There was a guide rod that held the electric coil cord that would occasionally rattle and squeal a bit, but it was not part of the drive mechanism. Had I ever decided to lube it, I would have used a dry lube, like graphite.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
bobbyg123, your problem sounds more like a lubrication issue. Both campers I've owned squeeled terribly. I had the dealer lube the rails that weren't exposed and that problem went away. I learned after the first camper to have the dealer do that before I took it off their lot.

laknox, It could be clutch related. That rapid click when fully extended or retracted doesn't happen on that slide anymore.

Gjac, your thoughts make sense too. Hopefully it's not a big deal and not too costly. As luck would have it, the camper is out of warranty by 5 months.

I'll know next week when it gets looked at. I'll post to this thread to report what I learn.

Hmmm...My dealer is over 2 hours away. Is this something I can do myself?
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
Not to hijack this thread, but I just took out my new Jayco Eagle for the 1st time last weekend, and while the main slide extended quietly, when I pulled it back in, it made a lot of noise. Didn't sound like banging, but rather a pulling rubber sound. Could that be because the seals are new? It was also raining, so that may have had something to do with it.
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
After cogitating on this for a few days, could the clutch be slipping a notch? Clutch could have a slick spot on it =or=, more likely IMO, a "tight" spot that causes the clutch to slip. I'd check to see if it happens at the same spot each time. Measure the distance traveled, in and out, and see. Then check the slide to see if something's causing the bind.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
For what it is worth I have that banging noise on mine and it is an electric system with cables and pulleys. I found 3 rollers underneath that support the floor, over the years the rollers wore grooves in the floor. I flattened grooves with a hammer and block of wood and noise was lessened. I suspect the noise was coming from the rollers wandering out side of groove when extending or retracting.