cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check Your Battery(s)

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a hot summer and I've gotten some use out of the PortaNobby.

I had to get both LP tanks refilled and since my batteries are hidden down below the tanks I thought I'd take a look.
2 - 6V wet batteries were THIRSTY.
Fluid was still covering the top of the plates, but barely.
I added 1.5 litres total between the 2 batteries.

I seem to remember checking them BEFORE last season started.
My bad.

There is a moral to this story.
8 REPLIES 8

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
dave54 wrote:
Yeah, they are a real PITA to access. Behind the propane tanks, remove some straps in a space barely large enough for my fingers to fit, snap open the box lids with a long screwdriver, just to see the top of the batteries.

I try to check them at every propane refill, but sometimes I say heck with it and I'll check them later. Then usually don't.

During our last trip I noticed they went from full charge to 50% in one night with the heater on. So I checked and they were thirsty. They are four year old batteries, so it may be time to replace.

Jeez......I almost thought I wrote what you wrote. Exact same story.
Except that my batteries are still holding a charge.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, they are a real PITA to access. Behind the propane tanks, remove some straps in a space barely large enough for my fingers to fit, snap open the box lids with a long screwdriver, just to see the top of the batteries.

I try to check them at every propane refill, but sometimes I say heck with it and I'll check them later. Then usually don't.

During our last trip I noticed they went from full charge to 50% in one night with the heater on. So I checked and they were thirsty. They are four year old batteries, so it may be time to replace.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never had to add a drop to our one battery in 13 years. Replaced it at 6 years after it sat all winter on a tripped GFCI. Replaced it last year since it was 6 years old. Cheap Interstate group 29 on a PD converter 24/7 when parked. Used on several trips per year, most without hookups.

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Checked mine the other day too. Still covering the plates but added nearly 1/2 liter of water to both of mine.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
#1nobby wrote:
...my batteries are hidden down below the tanks I thought I'd take a look...

Good situation for a remote watering system. And then, go AGM for your next set of batteries.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
The moral to the story is to check the water level monthly.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
First of the month...battery check time unless camping, then weekly. Batteries are expensive!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the reminder. It's been hot in our area for a few months and I haven't checked water level for about 6 weeks. Going to do that today on all vehicles including golf cart and UTV.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata