Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: black water holding tank valve opens but won't drain
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> black water holding tank valve opens but won't drain

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Fisher Bill

Tigard

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey All,

The reason I posted this was so someone else might search this phrase and get a match, I did not (on this site) so after looking around I tried an idea that could get me off the hook.

We went tailgating last Saturday in Eugene, OR and it was dry camping only so I shocked the water system and rinsed into the tanks and went to the water treatment plant.

Hooked up and pulled the cable T handle that runs into the belly through the corrugated plastic, it came out the usual distance but no noise, I put it back in and pulled it out a couple of times but nothing.

So frustrated, I drained the grey tanks, fore and aft and told the guys to limit their bathroom use and so I stewed about it all weekend.

Searched several threads and the net and found an idea that made some sense, I was sure the cable was not broke so here's a recipe I followed.

Take one full bottle of Dawn dish washing soap and pour the whole thing down the toilet and let it sit there for several hours.

Prepare the rig for towing, take and dump 3-5 bags of ice (I did 28#'s) right down the toilet and then hit the road, I went over speed bumps and all of the hilly side streets where I knew the trailer would bounce around a lot and in about 25 minutes I headed for the dump station.

There was a MH and a TT already there and we chatted and I told them what had happened and what I had done and by the time it was my turn they stuck around and low and behold when I opened up the valve we all heard ice cubes come a tumbling down, if I wasn't under the rig it would have been high fives all around.

I know the moral of the story is to take better care of the tank but I thought this was genius, fill with soap and then ice cubes and use the cubes as a huge scrubbing agent to slosh out the tank and scrub the sides while driving and lubricating the slide valve in the process.

I hope this might help others cause it sure helped me.

Bill

2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frequent dumping after intentionally filling the black tank works too.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moral of the story is to add PLENTY of water to the black tank after flushing.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

liquid water softener too

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

liquid water softener too

Otherwise known as the GEO Method... [emoticon]

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ice does just about nothing--it is the water and the detergent.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about simply adding enough water to begin with so these "FIXES" simply don't need to be used!

Fisher Bill

Tigard

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

When we deep sea fish for tuna we make an ice slurry in the bow compartment and when it starts to melt we can hear the ice cubes sloshing back and forth rubbing against all sides of the aluminum compartment so I have to believe that 30#'s of ice does something, YRMV

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Some one did a lovely test and published it on Youtube. The ice did just about nothing. Nor do the back flush devices work well. Sewer solution works a bit better, if there is a "straight shot" into the tank and if the water pressure is high. Rinse sprayers at the top of the tank do the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH6acEmqvcw&t=20susing ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfTd0Slt_cUComparing Tank Flushers in the Clear RV Black Tank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYJCLzGaaB8Sewer solution test straight shot 120 psi

Fisher Bill wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

When we deep sea fish for tuna we make an ice slurry in the bow compartment and when it starts to melt we can hear the ice cubes sloshing back and forth rubbing against all sides of the aluminum compartment so I have to believe that 30#'s of ice does something, YRMV

* This post was last edited 09/11/19 01:16pm by pianotuna *   View edit history

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I have always had this scenario in the back of my mind when pulling the black handle, but so far so good!

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> black water holding tank valve opens but won't drain
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS