cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Midnight Sun Festival - Fairbanks

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Been meaning to post on the above but kept forgetting. Has anyone gone to the Midnight Sun Festival in Fairbanks? I am very interested in going, henceforth my other posts about going to Fairbanks in June or Aug/Sept. Is it worth going to? Thanks!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
9 REPLIES 9

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did the Midnight Sun Festival in Fairbanks in 2011. It is a real big deal to the locals. The streets were packed. Seemed like there were at least 4 stages. Food, food, food. Beer, beer, beer.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chickenstock is a hoot. Tightest RV packing ever seen. Music is...well...regional. Little bit of this. Little bit of that. Some good. Some will send you back to the camper.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone is ever in Fairbanks, make sure you visit the Fountainhead Antique Auto museum.

It's on our list.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone is ever in Fairbanks, make sure you visit the Fountainhead Antique Auto museum. Just visited last week and it is amazing.
Chris
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Homeless by Choice wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:

We stayed there (in the parking lot campground) in September 2016. Interesting place. I just remember all the buses parked at the end of the lot, and there was something food related going on, but memory fails me as to what it was?

The buses were possibly from the local hotels and campgrounds that were being people to the Salmon Bake. The Salmon is a very popular. I been to the bake on four occasions and seen the buses unload but not to worry the passengers already have food tickets and it is only a momentary slow down of the food lines because the Salmon Bake staff keep the food coming.se

I would describe the Salmon Bake as a self service buffet that has separate salad bars, drink bars, hot food grill area, and a desert building. It has indoor and outdoor seating.

I found this on the web:

Alaska Salmon Bake
Seafood in Fairbanks

Hungry souls should take in the touristy, tasty, tongue-in-cheek salmon bake at Pioneer Park, which serves all-you-can-eat grilled salmon, halibut, cod, prime rib and countless sides. A $6 shuttle bus is available from major hotels.

LeRoy

That's what it was, a salmon bake. Thanks, LeRoy.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:

We stayed there (in the parking lot campground) in September 2016. Interesting place. I just remember all the buses parked at the end of the lot, and there was something food related going on, but memory fails me as to what it was?

The buses were possibly from the local hotels and campgrounds that were being people to the Salmon Bake. The Salmon Bake is a very popular. I been to the bake on four occasions and seen the buses unload but not to worry the passengers already have food tickets and it is only a momentary slow down of the food lines because the Salmon Bake staff keeps the food coming.

I would describe the Salmon Bake as a self service buffet that has separate salad bars, drink bars, hot food grill area, and a desert building. It has indoor and outdoor seating.

I found this on the web:

Alaska Salmon Bake
Seafood in Fairbanks

Hungry souls should take in the touristy, tasty, tongue-in-cheek salmon bake at Pioneer Park, which serves all-you-can-eat grilled salmon, halibut, cod, prime rib and countless sides. A $6 shuttle bus is available from major hotels.

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Homeless by Choice wrote:

Also while in Fairbanks check out Pioneer Park: its relocated log homes and museums, and enjoy a wonderful meal at the "Salmon Bake" while you are there.

LeRoy

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
And if you are going to Chicken, go across the road (Taylor Highway) to Eagle, Alaska. It is directly on the Yukon River. It has many great boom town historical buildings that are open to the public: Fort Egbert, Wickersham's Courthouse, Eagle City Hall, and the Customs Building Museum just to name a few.

Also while in Fairbanks check out Pioneer Park: its relocated log homes and museums, and enjoy a wonderful meal at the "Salmon Bake" while you are there.

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going up that way for the "midnight sun", BE SURE to add Chicken, Alaska and their "Chicken Stock" (remember Woodstock?) music festival. http://www.chickengold.com/activities.html
Chickenstock Music Festival 2020
https://www.alaska.org/detail/chickenstock-music-festival
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System