cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood waterheater wont light

bob_proctor
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Southwind class A m/h with a Atwood GC10A-3F hot water heater. .Problem is that it will not light--the propane valve opens--the ignitor sparks but the burner will not light. When I turn the propane switch on inside the coach I hear the propane solenoid open and the ignitor sparking but no flame. I found inside the fire box just below the fire tube and ignitor a small metal tab about the size of a dime-- looks like it should be just about 1/2" infront of the flame. Is this a deflector to help ignition. I can light the burner with a bbq lighter with no problem.
5 REPLIES 5

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours worked on electric, but would not light on gas. It was the circuit board. Works great now.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
You need a NEW burner tube assembly....Atwood 96206

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
delete
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
you said it lights with a match. so I,d say your deflector fell off like you said ,should not be loos on its mount. or have a rv tech come out and re attach it.

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
If it doesn't ignite at all its likely:
- Low propane pressure. Even though it will light with a lighter it may not have correct propane pressures and may be insufficient to light from spark. Not likely but possible.
- Weak spark. Since you indicated it is sparking, it could still be too weak to ignite. This could be caused by mis-adjusted igniter, bad igniter, or bad control board.

There are a number of other possibilities but most of them would result in the flame igniting but not staying lit.

Here is a link to a troubleshooting guide I found with a google search. I'm in no way affiliated with this web site, just found the guide has helpful troubleshooting information...
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint