cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fort Pickens vs Fort Barrancas Florida

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
After reviewing the info online, I am still having trouble comparing these locations & experiences. Can anyone tell me more about what you can see & do at each? Do you need ID to visit Fort Barrancas? Is there more than just the visitor center for tourists? Which do you recommend & why? Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
Fort Barrancas is on the Naval Air Station just down the street from the Naval Aviation Museum. That part of the base is open to everyone. You have to enter NAS Pensacola from the west gate, not the main gate to visit this area if you do not have military ID. This area also includes the lighthouse. You can visit all three for free and is definitely worth it. As far as comparing the two forts, Pickens is much bigger and has a lot more to see. Camping is also at Fort Pickens. My wife and I spent 2 weeks there in June and also 3 nights at the RV park on the base. I am retired Navy.
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
We love Fort Pickens. Never heard of the other.
Pickens has fantastic beaches. The Blue Angels can be seen practicing when they are in town and the Naval Air Museum is a must see. Pensacola beach has great food and Joe Paddys Sea food market is also a must go to place.
Lots to see and do in Pensacola.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never even heard of Ft Barancas until I saw it here, Looks like no camping or much of anything else

I believe Picken has camping and is quite popular.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper