Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Tires, again!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tires, again!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only have one nit to pick with CapriRacer's data and that's the assumption that summer temps are the be-all, end-all for summer tire failures. How may MILES are traveled in the summer months vs the fall/winter months? Yes, I agree that temps are a =big= part of tire failures, but also miles traveled have to play a part. I'd like to see his data on miles traveled per failure and see how =that= curves out over time.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mhimber2 wrote:

My 5th wheel is 10 years old and needing some tires. Presently have Michelin xps rib, 245/75 R16. Not sure how long I'm keeping it. Was thinking of getting the Bridgestone Duravis R250, but it looks like they are no longer made. Looking at the GY Endurance ST or the BFG Commercial TA AS2 for replacement, as they are both about the same price. I'm hesitant to go back to ST tires, as I had wear issues on the original Tow Max. No issues at all on the Michelins. What do you all think? Anyone using the BFGs? Thanks!

There are no Load E ST tires that can even come close to comparing to the commercial grade all steel ply carcass tire like the XPS Rib or the Bridgestone R-238 LT E tires for 6k axle and smaller.

The Endurance is popular but hasn't been out long enough to have a long term service record yet. Nothing like the XPS Rib tires.

I've used the BFG Commercial T/A 2 on my trailer with no issues. However due to pricing I went with the Firestone Transforce Ht tires.

Check out the Bridgestone R-238 which replaces the R-250s. Pricing is a bit easier than the XPS Ribs.

I see no reason at all to go with a load G tire (4080-4400 lbs capacity) like the Sailuns that work best for heavy trailers with 7k-8k axles.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

I only have one nit to pick with CapriRacer's data and that's the assumption that summer temps are the be-all, end-all for summer tire failures. How may MILES are traveled in the summer months vs the fall/winter months? Yes, I agree that temps are a =big= part of tire failures, but also miles traveled have to play a part. I'd like to see his data on miles traveled per failure and see how =that= curves out over time.

Lyle

I agree! Bottom line even he hasn't seen any legit failures.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mhimber2

NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys, this is just what I was after! The Sailun look good, but they take 110 psi, not sure my OEM wheels are rated for that. And I'd probably have to mail order them. Eight years ago, everyone recommended the Commercial TA, Michelin Rib, and Duravis 250. I went with the Commercial TA after multiple problems with the TowMax. When BFG recalled the Commercial TA, Discount got the Ribs as a no charge replacement. [emoticon]
Its approaching 7 years on the ground, so looking for replacements. The GY Endurance look good, but I wasn't sure about another ST tire. I'll probably just go with the GY before my next longer trip. The trailer GVWR is 13688 lbs. with 6K axles, 3875 cargo capacity.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may have ST on the sidewall but the ENDURANCE is nothing like the others.

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steel Cased RV trailer tires

In the 16” diameter there are the popular Sailun with two sizes.
Carlisle has the same two sizes and so does Heartland and Greenball.

Greenball has introduced a ST225/75R15 LRF steel cased tire rated at 3195# @ 95 PSI.

If you want an American made steel cased trailer tire there is the GY G614 RST.

I’m pretty sure Sailun has a similar knock-off of that same tire, maybe in their truck tire line-up.

* This post was edited 09/12/19 03:12pm by CALandLIN *

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mhimber2 wrote:

Thanks guys, this is just what I was after! The Sailun look good, but they take 110 psi, not sure my OEM wheels are rated for that. And I'd probably have to mail order them. Eight years ago, everyone recommended the Commercial TA, Michelin Rib, and Duravis 250. I went with the Commercial TA after multiple problems with the TowMax. When BFG recalled the Commercial TA, Discount got the Ribs as a no charge replacement. [emoticon]
Its approaching 7 years on the ground, so looking for replacements. The GY Endurance look good, but I wasn't sure about another ST tire. I'll probably just go with the GY before my next longer trip. The trailer GVWR is 13688 lbs. with 6K axles, 3875 cargo capacity.

Sailun has a tie pressure chart for each tire showing capacity at different psi. I run 100 psi cold based on my scaled weight.. my wheels rated 110 psi.
GY probably a good tire, that was what came on my 5er but what GY did to the Tyler, Tx plant employees I just can't bring myself to buy them, but that's me. Hurt my friends, neighbors , or family I hold a grudge. I run Michelin on Tahoe & Yokahama on the dually.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pretty happy with my Endurance tires but they seem to have one weakness; rock mining.
I took them off to get them balanced and when I picked all the rocks out, I found several places where small gravel had punctured all the way to the shiny metal chords. That kind of damage is not normal and never happened to any of the other ST tires I've had, including the garbage Carlisles.
I'm hoping that the fact that I don't generally have to tow in the rain will keep me from having a failure.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could the rock damage be a result of the shallower tread depth, do you think? I've never pulled rocks out of tire tread so I don't know if it happens with the deeper tread tires too.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mhimber2 wrote:

IF the RIBs ran 7 years without problems I would get another set or BS R238's for a little less.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tires, again!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS