Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: How do you really judge TV adequacy anymore?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How do you really judge TV adequacy anymore?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters, now you're gettin a little creepy, searching for past posts.
Now look past your nose far enough to understand that you and I agree that a 1/2 ton can tow within it's limits or whatever just fine.

That's not what you were asserting 2 pages ago. You said that 1/2 ton will do " A F150/1500 truck is just as capable of towing within its tow rating as a F350/3500" . Which is false.

I can fly from here to Omaha in a Cessna or a 737. Both are rated to haul me there. The Cessna will not do it just as good even though it will do it just fine.

Capiche?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

There is no evidence to indicate an F150 can't tow all day every day within its tow ratings without incurring any more adverse effects than a F350 would at the comparable duty point.

This is the comment that everybody is calling BS on. Throw a 10k lb trailer behind an F150 and the same behind and F350 and there's no question which truck will wear better over time.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look under any 1/2 ton... Then do the same with a 3/-1 ton.
Everything is larger underneath a HD truck.

When it comes to towing serious weight....
Size matters.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

troubledwaters wrote:

There is no evidence to indicate an F150 can't tow all day every day within its tow ratings without incurring any more adverse effects than a F350 would at the comparable duty point.

This is the comment that everybody is calling BS on. Throw a 10k lb trailer behind an F150 and the same behind and F350 and there's no question which truck will wear better over time.
Maybe it wasn't clear, "Comparable duty point" was intended to mean an F150 operating at 100% of its tow rating (or whatever parameter you want to compare) compared to a F350 operating at 100% of its tow rating ( or whatever rating you're comparing). 100% vs. 100%

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert Ackerman wrote:

troubledwaters wrote:

Bert Ackerman wrote:

troubledwaters wrote:

Bert Ackerman wrote:

..If anyone believes a 1500 truck is just as capable because it has the same or more payload as a 2500 truck, or based any other number like tow ratings, or has some super duper package, they're living in Fantasyland.
Or maybe you're living in fantasyland. A F150/1500 truck is just as capable of towing within its tow rating as a F350/3500 is of towing within its ratings. I believe all models are now tested and rated per J2807 standard.

I knew better than to get involved in this foolishness. You all have fun hashing it out, I'm going down to the bar and see if I can get an early bird special on happy hour.
There is nothing more that needs to be hashed out. The trucks are tested and rated per the standard. Enjoy your beer.

I think it's more than safe to bet that this thread will still be getting hashed 90 days from now. The Beer is cold, the Bourbon divine.

Still Hashin...................ROFLMDO......TV Adequacy? More like TV Lunacy.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

troubledwaters wrote:

I think the point you are missing is “Duty Point” the one ton would need to be towing at near their max tow rating. Likely in the 20,000# range.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

IdaD wrote:

troubledwaters wrote:

Maybe it wasn't clear, "Comparable duty point" was intended to mean an F150 operating at 100% of its tow rating (or whatever parameter you want to compare) compared to a F350 operating at 100% of its tow rating ( or whatever rating you're comparing). 100% vs. 100%
Quote:

I think the point you are missing is “Duty Point” the one ton would need to be towing at near their max tow rating. Likely in the 20,000# range.

Wait just a minute.... Did this not start out as a thread touting 1/2 ton capabilities that were equal or better than some of their HD counterparts?

And once that argument fell flat, now the argument is changing.

I see how it is.

Go back and reread the first post.

* This post was edited 09/13/19 01:43am by Huntindog *

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s like trying to explain sex to a virgin....

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

It’s like trying to explain sex to a virgin....

How old was the young lady that explained it to you?

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

demiles

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 03:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People need to understand what the j2807 standard is that’s used to set the rating. It’s a standardized test performed wth very specific equipment under very specific conditions with very specific rules. The average consumer will not operate the vehicle under those conditions with the same equipment. Once the trailer, loading, and road conditions change so does how the vehicle performs. The test is to determine the maximum trailer tow weight which not how you would what to tow a RV across country. A good way to judge TV capability for RVs is to stay away from the maximum pin/hitch weight and apply the recommended hitch and pin weight requirements for the trailer type.

2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How do you really judge TV adequacy anymore?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS