cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodge RAM flywheel

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
My '06 RAM 3500, 5.9l Cummins, 185k miles, recently started vibrating on me. Took it to the local Dodge dealer and they diagnosed flywheel, $4k to repair. Looking for input about options/alternatives. I'll be checking Cummins dealers to see if they could also do it and what their cost would be. I'm leery of taking it to a local mechanic since I'm a fulltimer and recourse could be problematic if it develops a problem 2000 miles away. Maybe some national chain mechanic? Transmission shop?
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch
38 REPLIES 38

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Wrong. With that clutch it’s the most likely.
Agree though for a solid flywheel.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
the vibration could be antwhere in the clutch system, pressure plate, clutch disk(most likely). least likely is the flywheel!
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
DONT keep driving it! It's beating the krap out of your transmission.
Dual Mass setups that fail are notorious for serious trans damage.

I’ve heard this as well. I plan on replacing mine in the next year or so to avoid having any issues far from home.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
If it is vibrating, it is not doing the trans or motor any good.
Fix it now, for less or later for more.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"blissfuly ignorant" that would not PIZZ me off but "ignorant" that's another story.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
fj12ryder wrote:
Perhaps he didn't resent the advice, so much as resent the tone in which it was given. Perhaps being called "blissfully ignorant" was felt to be uncalled for.

Quite possible, but my assertion was absolutely meant for effect because the OP has no knowledge of the time bomb between the engine and transmission and is comfortable towing 2000 miles with it, plus whatever other driving between now and the exodus to snobird land.
Was only trying to save him from making a bad decision due to being, well I won't say blissfuly ignorant....howabout uninformed?

Simply because "a local mechanic might mess it up and have issues..."
It's September, you got 3 months before it snows if you're that allregic to snow to sort it out. Besides, it's a clutch. It pretty much either works right immediately or it doesn't.
Show of hands, how many of you hook up with a known clutch issue on the worst clutch ever made that somehow has outlived it's average lifespan by about 300% (a miracle in itself no matter how you drive) and rock out 2000 miles of towing?
Buehler?.....Beuhler?........
That's what I thought.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
HappyKayakers wrote:
Thanks for your concern. When I initially posted I didn't realize that the diagnosis was just a guess. I had another diesel mechanic make the same guess about the flywheel....about 5 years ago. Beyond that, I feel no need to explain my reasons for waiting.

Well, gotta love folks who ask for advice while clearly admitting they don’t know much about what they’re asking about (not a bad thing, that’s why one typically asks for advice) AND then actually gets snarky while refuting sound advice.
Best of luck, hope it lasts another 50,000miles, but I’d travel near rivers if I were you, so you can use the kayaks and not be stranded!
Perhaps he didn't resent the advice, so much as resent the tone in which it was given. Perhaps being called "blissfully ignorant" was felt to be uncalled for.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
HappyKayakers wrote:
Thanks for your concern. When I initially posted I didn't realize that the diagnosis was just a guess. I had another diesel mechanic make the same guess about the flywheel....about 5 years ago. Beyond that, I feel no need to explain my reasons for waiting.

Well, gotta love folks who ask for advice while clearly admitting they don’t know much about what they’re asking about (not a bad thing, that’s why one typically asks for advice) AND then actually gets snarky while refuting sound advice.
Best of luck, hope it lasts another 50,000miles, but I’d travel near rivers if I were you, so you can use the kayaks and not be stranded!

Better yet are the ones that buy let's say a 2500 and a BIG 5er and then ask if the combo is OK. Then they start arguing when you tell them it's not a safe combo!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
HappyKayakers wrote:

Procrastinator
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Contact SouthBend Clutch. Complete flywheel, clutch and pressure-plate around $1,200 shipped to you. Ask for who they recommend in your area. $2,500 would be my total cost guess.

X 100. This is the correct answer. If you're going to open up replace it all with high quality and never worry or think about it again.
2018 F150 Max Tow with 6.5 "long" bed.

2019 Coachman Freedom Express Liberty 292BHDSLE

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer

Grit dog wrote:
To the OP, your being blissfully ignorant about replacing your clutch. It is, was and should be on borrowed time.
Why the procrastination?
Get a new clutch in it. It’s a 1 day job for any shop and the options are so numerous for the type of clutch you want, you can have your choice of clutch delivered in a few days maybe less depending on your location.
Replace everything, clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, pivot ball on the fork, hydraulics and possibly the whole fork arm if it shows ANY wear.
It’s plug n play for everything. Should be 6-8 hrs labor charge certainly no more than 8.

If you’re fickle about this, you have a high likelihood of having it done NOT on your terms when you get towed in.
Remember my first post. You may literally have the highest mile OE clutch out there. How far do you want to push your luck?
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
To the OP, your being blissfully ignorant about replacing your clutch. It is, was and should be on borrowed time.
Why the procrastination?
Get a new clutch in it. It’s a 1 day job for any shop and the options are so numerous for the type of clutch you want, you can have your choice of clutch delivered in a few days maybe less depending on your location.
Replace everything, clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, pivot ball on the fork, hydraulics and possibly the whole fork arm if it shows ANY wear.
It’s plug n play for everything. Should be 6-8 hrs labor charge certainly no more than 8.

If you’re fickle about this, you have a high likelihood of having it done NOT on your terms when you get towed in.
Remember my first post. You may literally have the highest mile OE clutch out there. How far do you want to push your luck?

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Use the Valair dual disc ORGANIC clutch. I have the same one in ceramic and it's been very reliable, but it's a bit harsh with the trailer. The same in organic is what you want.

The dual mass clutch on these trucks is absolute garbage. You're going to be so thankful when you get it replaced.

Total cost with labor should be about half what you were quoted, maybe a little more if you have to pay retail for the clutch.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Mote wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Dual mass flywheel do your self a favor and contact South Bend clutch and see what they offer to rid yourself of it. Maybe a nice dual disk clutch, way less than $4K even with a shop install.

Yep, I would agree.

When I had my 2005, dual mass went out at 75K. I had dealer replace it with the same only because I was dumping the truck. That trans set up needs an after market otherwise it's a POS
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie