cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuel economy

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Class A drivers, how. do you maximize your money spent on fuel, over the milage gained

do you shop for price.?
do you alter your driving?
do you added gizmos?

ME?
I set the cruise at 65+_ place the transmission in .in economy, and allow the computer to drive it.
Gets me about 9.5 by the computer.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
31 REPLIES 31

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
See just got to love it LOL
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, I like that kind of math. It makes the 5.5 MPG that I get with my Prevost sound much better when I use that formula for 2 vehicles!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always tow a vehicle so I automatically double my mileage by getting two vehicles from A to B while using about the same amount of fuel. :B

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
They take after government fuzzy math
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
discovery4us wrote:
The best fuel savings for us is just to get out of CA. Cross out of the state and fuel seems cheap.

Isn't that the truth! Once we crossed the state line, I stopped even checking Gas Buddy everything was so cheap.

7.77mpg over 2500 miles in our V10 powered 30' Class C with no toad (and ~30 hrs of generator usage). Yes, I know it's not a diesel class A. And I don't take it easy on the loud pedal... Especially once in the land of cheap gas lol.

Had a high of 10 (tailwind) and a low of 6.5 (hills and a few days of generator use while camping). I usually don't track mileage, but did this trip just for kicks. I'm going to go back to not knowing, I like it better. :B
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
We don't really use price but rather ease and amenities for where we stop. Good place to let the dogs out is usually most important with the DW.

Tend to travel @ 62 MPH. This seems to be the most comfortable whether I had the jeep, the truck, or the trailer in tow.

Solo or with the jeep we get 12 mpg. Truck W/rzr or enclosed trailer we get 10 mpg. One of the benefits of having a lighter, bit underpowered diesel is the fuel mileage is good. The best fuel savings for us is just to get out of CA. Cross out of the state and fuel seems cheap.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Class A drivers, how. do you maximize your money spent on fuel, over the milage gained

do you shop for price.?
do you alter your driving?
do you added gizmos?

ME?
I set the cruise at 65+_ place the transmission in .in economy, and allow the computer to drive it.
Gets me about 9.5 by the computer.

9.5 MPG! Can you bring your magic wand over here please.
About 38000 lbs towing 4100lb Ford Edge 05 Revolution Cat 350. We didn't set the trip computer, oversight, when we started out, but about 6.5 to 7MPG is what we are getting, long haul.
We try to run at 65, but taint possible McGhee! Every other Driver especially semis have their own ideas and its on the breaks and eventually passing, plus the winds this eek on the high plains are trying to push us into fields.
We shop for price going down the road. this trip we paid as little as 2.39 in Tn and as high as 2.59 in Oklahoma. We slipped up and missed a couple or more exits with prices in the 2.49 range.
Tried laying out a fuel stop plan ahead of time but no go.
We have seen prices as high as 2.97 along the way.
Loves seems to be the highest or maybe Pilot. independents are the more economical.
We fuel when the price is right and at half a tank or so.
If we were able plan fuel stops withe the better prices we could save a lot of time and a bit of fuel too.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
We weigh 55,500 lbs. plus pulling a 4,200 lb. toad.

We drive about 65 mph (unless in CA, 55 mph) and get about 6.5-6.8 mpg.

MM.

Moving a load requires energy.

You're kidding!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
You know, I was in South Miami the other day (for work) and saw a few medium size Yachts that probably get gallons per mile, so we're not doing to bad in the RV world..... :+)

Al

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:

MM.

Moving a load requires energy.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
PastorCharlie wrote:
My HP to LB. ratio is 66.3 HP to 1LB weight, if loaded to max weight. I never load anywhere close to max weight, always a several thousand lbs. under limit. Therefore the HP to LB ratio is greater than 66.3 to 1. I prefer truck stops and Flying J in particular.

Lets re state this, while it would be interesting to drive something with a 66.3 HP to 1 LB weight ratio it is not happening. What you will find is the general rule for RV is one HP per 100 lbs.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
My HP to LB. ratio is 66.3 HP to 1LB weight, if loaded to max weight. I never load anywhere close to max weight, always a several thousand lbs. under limit. Therefore the HP to LB ratio is greater than 66.3 to 1. I prefer truck stops and Flying J in particular.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
js218 wrote:
^^^^Nope,purchased it to travel, I'm retired and enjoy traveling. Prior to purchasing the rig I spent 4 years touring the world.

You sound like you are still in "Vacation" mode. Now that you have given it the once over, it is time to slow down and enjoy it. :B
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain