Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Pulling with 1/2 ton
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Pulling with 1/2 ton

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
gmckenzie

BC

Full Member

Joined: 06/23/2014

View Profile



Posted: 09/10/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tls5150 wrote:

Thank you all for the responses!! My 1/2 ton is rated to pull 9,400. Was considering the new 1/2 Silverado with max tow package rated at 11,300. It is just DW and I nothing unusual as far as packing except two bicycles just struggling on what to do


I've got a 2015 max tow, payload is 2,015 as per the yellow sticker.

I ignore dry weight and use the gross trailer weight. My trailer gross is 8,200 lbs. Tongue is 1,040 (per a scale), or 12.6%. I wouldn't pull any heavier than this, as I do risk running out of payload. I don't have a topper as I don't want the weight. It's also just me, the wife and 2 small dogs and I rarely bother with a generator as I don't often dry camp.

Check the payload on what you are looking at. Based on the 12.6% I've got (and that is just specific to my setup), a 100lb reduction in payload would mean an almost 800 lb reduction in trailer weight I can pull. So if payload was 1800 lbs, I'd max out at about 6600lbs.


2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/10/19 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"My 1/2 ton is rated to pull 9,400."

I suggest you think payload along with "pulling" everytime.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)


Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/10/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The more I've looked at all of this over the years (and in my own considerations moving forward), the more I've realized that the badges a truck wears are less and less meaningful to the average weekend camper. There are '1/2 tons' that are so decked out and blinged up they are barely capable of hauling groceries, and there are others beefed up to a point that their ratings rival many 3/4 tons. The same kind of ambiguity exists with 3/4 and 1 tons as well.

Look at your numbers. What is your payload, what is your GCVWR, what are your real weights (not dry or estimated), and how does it all line up? That's the best you can do, as you simply can't get good 'apples to apples' comparisons from one truck configuration to another.

gmckenzie

BC

Full Member

Joined: 06/23/2014

View Profile



Posted: 09/10/19 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

The more I've looked at all of this over the years (and in my own considerations moving forward), the more I've realized that the badges a truck wears are less and less meaningful to the average weekend camper. There are '1/2 tons' that are so decked out and blinged up they are barely capable of hauling groceries, and there are others beefed up to a point that their ratings rival many 3/4 tons. The same kind of ambiguity exists with 3/4 and 1 tons as well.

Look at your numbers. What is your payload, what is your GCVWR, what are your real weights (not dry or estimated), and how does it all line up? That's the best you can do, as you simply can't get good 'apples to apples' comparisons from one truck configuration to another.


I love comparing my payload number to 3/4 ton diesels. I don't think I can out-tow them, but the payload on those can be real low.

am1958

SE Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 04/10/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/10/19 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

My SCab F-150 was rated for 8,600 max tow but my 5,600# 22' TT was alll that it could handle - it towed well but I was near or even at my max payload almost every trip.

[emoticon]


Odd... My SCrew F-150 EcoBoost has towed a 6500lb dry/7500 loaded Bullet Premiere 31BHPR, (31'), with a measured tongue weight of 940 putting me pretty much at the limit of the advertised payload just over 17000 miles in the last 4.5 years without incident. I've taken it through the Blue Ridge Mountains a few times and have no problem on the hills and sometimes, when windy - high wind warning to be accurate, the F-150 sway control kicks in which is a very benign incident where I usually just re-engage cruise and carry on.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/10/19 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmckenzie wrote:



I love comparing my payload number to 3/4 ton diesels. I don't think I can out-tow them, but the payload on those can be real low.


In the 2019 models, you can buy an F150 with specs that state a 13k in conventional towing and 2,870 in payload. You can also by an F350 with 12,300 (7k less) in conventional towing and 2,910 (only 40lbs more) in payload.

Now, these are the extremes of both sides, and are likely rare configurations in each case, but the 'specs' of the 1/2 ton rival that of a full 1 ton in these instances.

Am I arguing a 1/2 ton is as capable as a 3/4 or 1 ton? Of course not! But badges don't mean what they used to!

Honestly, the more I think of this, it's starting to make me wonder if the 'stay within your numbers' advice (that I echoed earlier) is really sufficient anymore. But, that's a question for another thread.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/10/19 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For best results keep the trailer GVWR within the tow rating.
Forget dry weight.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Desert Captain

Tucson

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/10/19 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

am1958 wrote:

Desert Captain wrote:

My SCab F-150 was rated for 8,600 max tow but my 5,600# 22' TT was alll that it could handle - it towed well but I was near or even at my max payload almost every trip.

[emoticon]


Odd... My SCrew F-150 EcoBoost has towed a 6500lb dry/7500 loaded Bullet Premiere 31BHPR, (31'), with a measured tongue weight of 940 putting me pretty much at the limit of the advertised payload just over 17000 miles in the last 4.5 years without incident. I've taken it through the Blue Ridge Mountains a few times and have no problem on the hills and sometimes, when windy - high wind warning to be accurate, the F-150 sway control kicks in which is a very benign incident where I usually just re-engage cruise and carry on.


So what is "odd"? [emoticon]

We both had rigs that towed well at or near our payload limits. What was your alleged towing capacity? I'm guessing Ford told you it was 9K# or more but we both know better.

[emoticon]





tls5150

Texas

Full Member

Joined: 07/04/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/10/19 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry everyone I failed to mentioned we had to sell out a few years ago due to moving to Houston and had no storage, since then we moved to Austin and are trying to get back into camping


Tim & Debra Smith
2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 LT Texas edition
2020 Rockwood 2612 ws ultralite

martinto

South Carolina

Full Member

Joined: 06/23/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/10/19 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tls5150 wrote:

Thank you all for the responses!! My 1/2 ton is rated to pull 9,400. Was considering the new 1/2 Silverado with max tow package rated at 11,300. It is just DW and I nothing unusual as far as packing except two bicycles just struggling on what to do


GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 6.2L with Max Tow Pkg. 28 ft. TT loaded for a cross country trip out west...weighed in 7000 Lbs +/-. No problem pulling or braking. If truck is maintained to near spec level and you know it’s limitations, the set up and pulling of a properly loaded rig will allow you to travel safely.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Pulling with 1/2 ton
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS