cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fairbanks-June or August/Sept

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like we are going to head back to Alaska next year but this time go to Fairbanks. Our plan is to go to Denali for three nights as well. Our current discussion is when should we go. If we go in June we can go to the Midnight Sun festival in Fairbanks and the new babies in Denali will just be coming out. If we go in late August/early September then the hooved animals will be sporting larger racks and we might see the Aurora. Any thoughts on time of year?

Also looking for suggestions on things to do. Thanks!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
16 REPLIES 16

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW...and always depends on the specific year/week/day/hour....While "Fall" is clearly approaching by late August / Early September in Squarebanks, assuming it's decent weather otherwise, that time of year tends to be warm-ish days and cool nights. Not too hot during the day (nothing like Los Anchorage or most of Alaska this summer) and cool enough at night to enjoy a jacket, fire, and hot toddy.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Take a tour to the Arctic Circle (or the shorter one to the Yukon)

That's in the plans-we are looking at Northern Alaska Tour Company and it looks like we will do the Polar Bear Expedition assuming we can handle the cost ($2K/pp) and the boat part doesn't go on open water.

Thanks, all! Looks like end of August/early September it is! The Midnight Sun festival isn't enough of a draw for us and the critter babies will still be small enough. Don't mind chilly weather-we roasted this past August when we were in Anchorage and the surrounds. Early September is also when there are the most birds in Creamer's Field (per the refuge people). Since our primary goal is photography, that was also a turning point.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Skagway now- were in Fairbanks last week. The weather has been unusually nice for this time of year. Our experience has been great- nothing we looked into has been shut down. We have not had to have reservations for most things we wanted to do- the exception has been the White Pass Scenic Rail Road trip out of Skagway. Because of cruise ships that can and will fill up. We saw the northern lights 3 of the 5 nights we were there. Days were low to mid 60's. Nights were low 30's. We drove up to Chena Hot Springs. It was OK, nothing great. I think Laird Hot Springs were better. We did not stay at the resort as we had our camper in Fairbanks. The trees are turning colors- not like New England, though. Here is it yellows mostly and a little orange- no reds. We are pleased we planned Fairbanks later in the trip, vs earlier.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Assume the OP will be flying into and staying in and around Squarebanks for the duration of the trip...

...if not, just something to keep in mind: While a mid- or later September trip could yield some snow on the roads (particularly North of Fbks), in a rental car, it won't be a big deal....even if taking a road trip to Delta or Los Anchorage.

FWIW, Chena Hot Springs is a good location for Northern Lights and the later in the year one goes, the better the chance of seeing them.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Crowe wrote:
Forgot to clarify we will be flying.

We also flew in.
Flew in to Fairbanks. The museum of history at the university in Fairbanks is well done. Of course we had to visit one of the tourist trap gold mines and pan for gold. But it was entertaining for an afternoon. And more general sightseeing as limited time allowed.
Took the train to Denali NP. Stayed at the Kantishna Roadhouse 65 miles at the end of the road into DNP. Their shuttle bus picked us up at train station and delivered us back. Expensive but would do it again. They came around at 2 am (per our request) to tell us “THE LIGHTS ARE OUT! THE LIGHTS ARE OUT!”. :B
Took the train to Anchorage. Used that as a base to sightsee. Drove rent car down to Seward for a day trip. Beautiful drive. Took a glacier cruise out of Whittier. Also beautiful. And more general sightseeing.
Flew home from Anchorage.
Flying into one city and out another is little different fare wise than same city round trip fare.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
All FWIW

- I believe the scenery (even if foggy / rainy) in SC - Interior Alaska is best in the early - mid-Fall (i.e. mid-August - Mid September)
- The bugs take a big hit at the end of August
- The tourist stuff tends to shut down no later than mid-September...particularly Glitter Gulch outside of McKinley.
- If it's clear, the Fairbanks area can be spectacular in the fall; even if rainy, it's OK.
- The tourist crowds are mostly gone, making it easier to book space on the attractions / trips that are left open.
- There will be no problem doing "tourist stuff" through the end of August and into at least early September...we have friends headed to stay at Denali for two nights early next week at the Princess (although to be fair, I believe it is the last two nights they are open for the season)
- Hiking, fishing, etc will be much more enjoyable (IMNSHO) without bugs or crowds. If in September, fishing will have to focus on trout, dollies, etc as the Fairbanks runs of salmon will be strongest earlier in the year.

I'd suggest August / September. As to what to do in Fairbanks

- Flight seeing McKinley
- Fountainhead Auto Museum
- UAF Museum of the North
- Santa Claus House in North Pole (people seem to like it...not for me, but tastes vary)
- Take a tour to the Arctic Circle (or the shorter one to the Yukon)
- Visit Chena Hot Springs
- Possibly catch the swan or crane migration through Big Delta
- Observe 2 Street at midnight or so....local flavor; not quite what it was 20 years ago, but interesting anyway. <<< This is mostly tongue-in-cheek as 2nd Avenue "2 street" in the vernacular used to be full of bars and their overindulging patrons.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to clarify we will be flying.

Many of the tourist-oriented things are closing down for the year around Labor Day. That's actually true throughout Alaska. Maybe that is a sizable concern, maybe not too much of one.

Actually it is to some extent. We like to do both nature and tourist attractions.

Douglas Adams

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Aug. 14 we were in Denali for 3 days then went to Fairbanks. Still plenty of people, enough animals, and a good dose of evening chill. Get the extra blanket out, pack a hoodie and gloves, and enjoy what comes your way. Incidentally, we saw more moose and bear outside the park along the Canadian roads during sunsets, than in Denali.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Many of the tourist-oriented things are closing down for the year around Labor Day. That's actually true throughout Alaska. Maybe that is a sizable concern, maybe not too much of one.

Augustish was nice when I was in Fairbanks. A fair few years ago, in college, I visited a good friend who was then attending UAF (in Fairbanks) over Christmas and New Years. I would definitely recommend August over December; it's hard to actually see too much of Fairbanks in the winter since there's not much more than a few hours of twilight per day. It's also a good bit colder, of course.

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed August/September. No issues with bugs and it was easier to find RV spots. It also seemed that much of the road work had been completed. Not all, we encountered a number of road repairs in progress but think the volume was less overall.

We may have been fortunate because we did not encounter any snow. We had about 4 days of clear Denali weather. Only four or five days of rain. When we started home the temperatures were dropping down into the high 20's at night but the days were great.

Every year is different so our experience may have been untypical. If we go again I think we would chance the August/September time again.

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
I would go later in the year, in June the bugs are brutal. The black flies have landing lights and take on two drums of fuel.

Bugs will not keep me away. In reality they aren't any worse than Maine, MA or NH.

X2
Or northern Wisconsin, Michigan or Minnesota.

I have been there twice. I am going back again. This time July, August, and September. First two times were June thru August. I wouldn't want to be on the Dalton Highway (State Road 11, aka The Haul Road) after August 15th because of the great possibility of ice and snow. There are some very sharp curves and steep grades. The Richardson Highway, SR4, at Thompson Pass about 35 miles east of Valdez has some sharp curves and steep grades with the possibility of ice and snow during August and September. Just check the weather reports and road conditions. The other roads should be fine.

Depending on your return route of travel, you will have to be cautious of the mountainous areas of Canada.

Have FUN. All the rest of us have.

Safe Travels,
LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Check on weather trends from those who know. We were there a number years ago in early August and were told by people there that the weather begins to deteriorate mid to late August into fall (cloudier and rainier).

We did get to see the lights. And a clear view of the mountain. :C

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the fall which starts in late August. It is possible to see great Northern Lights by Labor Day up by Fairbanks. The day length is surprising long due to the length of twilight. Fewer tourists, animal activity, less bugs, and cooler weather. It feels more like Alaska.

There is a seasonal shift in the Interior after Labor Day. Many people have finished their seasonal jobs. They get busy cutting firewood for the long winter. Many focus on subsistence hunting and getting a moose. I don't usually pay much attention to tourist attractions but I enjoyed the Follies in Ester, which involves some Robert Service poems. Gold panning the original paydirt up by Fox was a lot of fun. I liked the Interior more than I expected after 9 trips to the Coast. The people are great. Sourdoughs and Athabascans alike.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I would go later in the year, in June the bugs are brutal. The black flies have landing lights and take on two drums of fuel.

Bugs will not keep me away. In reality they aren't any worse than Maine, MA or NH.

Douglas Adams