Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Winterize or Not
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Winterize or Not

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 04:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The weather can change overnight. Since you are closer to the mountains than I am I would definitely winterize. Running the rv antifreeze is not costly nor difficult but replacing plumbing is a hassle. While looking at the average temp or historical temps is a good start it still does not count for the extreme changes NC can see. I keep my fiver under a shelter and it is a four season. I run antifreeze thru mine each year.

Just my two cents.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

rsgs

Harrison Twp., Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never listen to the weather report when fall comes around. I have two fifth wheels in different locations. At the first of September, I blow out lines, drain the hot water tank, and add red pop to the traps. This way I know if something unforeseen comes up and I don't get back to either one for a month or two, it's taken care of and I don't have to worry. It's ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry and it only takes a few minutes.

John and Robyn
Penny (Brittany)
·2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew LB Duramax/Allison
·2004 Fleetwood/Prowler Regal Extreme Edition 2952 Bunk
-2005 Forest River 28RK

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have quick and ready access to the rig? If you can get out in the case of a surprise cold snap, then you could wait and watch. If there is any chance you might not be able to get to it during the winter, however, I wouldn't risk it! THe relatively small investment of time and money is a cheap insurance policy.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sayoung wrote:

gbopp wrote:

Just blow out your water lines and pour some pink stuff in the traps.
It's quick and simple. Then you don't have to be concerned with dropping temps and can do it after every trip during colder weather.

I will add open the faucets while blowing out & drain the water heater also. I open the low points, blow out, drain water heater , anti freeze in traps. But, I keep my heat on about 50 and it very seldom gets into the teens here.

Completely agree!

I didn't think about the "P" traps first time!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

so if you don't winterize and get caught with your pants down, who is to blame? [emoticon]

teegee1025

New York

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all. We will winterize at the end of October. Now....our storage place up in Syracuse used to do this for us. Hoping it is an easy process. Google here I come!!! [emoticon]

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get tickled on all the rv forums I visit talking winterizing cause it's gonna be 97 here today . Also get a good laugh over on the Kubota tractor board, all the northern folks hooking up the snow blowers. Not makeing fun because I have been in the cold climates a few times it's just funny to me how early you must prepare. We don't even give an early morning frost a thought until usually mid November.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

teegee1025 wrote:

Thank you all. We will winterize at the end of October. Now....our storage place up in Syracuse used to do this for us. Hoping it is an easy process. Google here I come!!! [emoticon]

The ease often depends on the rig, but it's not hard at all. Takes me 20 minutes and 4 gallons of antifreeze.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

holy moley Mickey, mine takes 2 gal. [emoticon]

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

holy moley Mickey, mine takes 2 gal. [emoticon]

My lines take about a gallon and a half. Another gallon+ fills the p-traps. The final gallon is dumped into the black tank so that it doesn't sit dry for the 7-8 months our rig is not in use.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Winterize or Not
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS