Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Winterize or Not
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Winterize or Not

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
teegee1025

New York

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi! This will be our first winter in Mooresville, NC with our 5th wheel. Coming from Syracuse, NY, it would be just about time to winterize if we were still up North. I was wondering if winterization was still needed down here. I know the winter isn't bad down here and I am not sure of how long the season for using the fifth wheel is so I'm uncertain as to whether or not we could use it in the winter. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can cost big bucks to not winterize.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on this, I'd say you were good to go until about January: Click here

I lived very near Morganton, NC many years ago, for 2 years. Temperatures never got below freezing either of those 2 years.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Below freezing temps are what I use to determine when to winterize, check monthly averages if you are winterizing in a new area. Looking at Syracuse weather it would be pretty early to winterize for us, all the way through October and midway into November average low temps do not breach freezing according to Accuweather. No doubt winterizing in NC will come later than NY.

I would keep close watch on local NC weather starting near the middle of December, with weather being somewhat freakish last few years monthly averages may not reflect earlier than anticipated weather patterns. We empty our tanks within a few weeks of actual winterization anyway, keeps us from getting caught off guard from a freak winter storm.

djousma

SW Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do as others have said, and keep an eye on the longer term forecast. I'd go out and buy the RV antifreeze to have on hand, in case a cold snap sneaks up on you.

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just blow out your water lines and pour some pink stuff in the traps.
It's quick and simple. Then you don't have to be concerned with dropping temps and can do it after every trip during colder weather.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winterizing costs virtually nothing. Not winterizing could cost a lot. YMMV

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

It's quick and simple. Then you don't have to be concerned with dropping temps and can do it after every trip during colder weather.

I will add open the faucets while blowing out & drain the water heater also. I open the low points, blow out, drain water heater , anti freeze in traps. But, I keep my heat on about 50 and it very seldom gets into the teens here.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

watch the weather, then winterize.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

X2

Your climate is about the same as we have in the PNW. Do you plan on using the 5er through the winter. We use to go out all winter long I would just keep an eye on the temps if it was going to drop below about 28 overnight, I would blow the lines and put pink AF in the traps.
If we went out and the weather was still mild would wait for the next cold spell before blowing the lines.
As we used the 5er through out the winter, would only blow and Pink if temp was going below 28 overnight.
We had unit stored at a storage yard, and I had/have onboard air so easy to blow the lines. Never an Issue.
Enjoy your new climate, get out and enjoy winter camping!! We would keep the 5er stocked with cloths and non perishable foods so only needed to grab perishable food from home refer.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Winterize or Not
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS