cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winterize or Not

teegee1025
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! This will be our first winter in Mooresville, NC with our 5th wheel. Coming from Syracuse, NY, it would be just about time to winterize if we were still up North. I was wondering if winterization was still needed down here. I know the winter isn't bad down here and I am not sure of how long the season for using the fifth wheel is so I'm uncertain as to whether or not we could use it in the winter. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!
19 REPLIES 19

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
holy moley Mickey, mine takes 2 gal. :h

My lines take about a gallon and a half. Another gallon+ fills the p-traps. The final gallon is dumped into the black tank so that it doesn't sit dry for the 7-8 months our rig is not in use.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
holy moley Mickey, mine takes 2 gal. :h

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
teegee1025 wrote:
Thank you all. We will winterize at the end of October. Now....our storage place up in Syracuse used to do this for us. Hoping it is an easy process. Google here I come!!! 🙂

The ease often depends on the rig, but it's not hard at all. Takes me 20 minutes and 4 gallons of antifreeze.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
I get tickled on all the rv forums I visit talking winterizing cause it's gonna be 97 here today . Also get a good laugh over on the Kubota tractor board, all the northern folks hooking up the snow blowers. Not makeing fun because I have been in the cold climates a few times it's just funny to me how early you must prepare. We don't even give an early morning frost a thought until usually mid November.

teegee1025
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. We will winterize at the end of October. Now....our storage place up in Syracuse used to do this for us. Hoping it is an easy process. Google here I come!!! 🙂

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
so if you don't winterize and get caught with your pants down, who is to blame? 😉

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
sayoung wrote:
gbopp wrote:
Just blow out your water lines and pour some pink stuff in the traps.
It's quick and simple. Then you don't have to be concerned with dropping temps and can do it after every trip during colder weather.

I will add open the faucets while blowing out & drain the water heater also. I open the low points, blow out, drain water heater , anti freeze in traps. But, I keep my heat on about 50 and it very seldom gets into the teens here.

Completely agree!

I didn't think about the "P" traps first time!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have quick and ready access to the rig? If you can get out in the case of a surprise cold snap, then you could wait and watch. If there is any chance you might not be able to get to it during the winter, however, I wouldn't risk it! THe relatively small investment of time and money is a cheap insurance policy.

rsgs
Explorer
Explorer
I never listen to the weather report when fall comes around. I have two fifth wheels in different locations. At the first of September, I blow out lines, drain the hot water tank, and add red pop to the traps. This way I know if something unforeseen comes up and I don't get back to either one for a month or two, it's taken care of and I don't have to worry. It's ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry and it only takes a few minutes.

John and Robyn
Penny (Brittany)
·2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW 4x4 Crew LB
·2004 Fleetwood/Prowler Regal Extreme Edition 2952 Bunk
-2005 Forest River 28RK

[img][/img]

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
The weather can change overnight. Since you are closer to the mountains than I am I would definitely winterize. Running the rv antifreeze is not costly nor difficult but replacing plumbing is a hassle. While looking at the average temp or historical temps is a good start it still does not count for the extreme changes NC can see. I keep my fiver under a shelter and it is a four season. I run antifreeze thru mine each year.

Just my two cents.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:
It's quick and simple. Then you don't have to be concerned with dropping temps and can do it after every trip during colder weather.

X2

Your climate is about the same as we have in the PNW. Do you plan on using the 5er through the winter. We use to go out all winter long I would just keep an eye on the temps if it was going to drop below about 28 overnight, I would blow the lines and put pink AF in the traps.
If we went out and the weather was still mild would wait for the next cold spell before blowing the lines.
As we used the 5er through out the winter, would only blow and Pink if temp was going below 28 overnight.
We had unit stored at a storage yard, and I had/have onboard air so easy to blow the lines. Never an Issue.
Enjoy your new climate, get out and enjoy winter camping!! We would keep the 5er stocked with cloths and non perishable foods so only needed to grab perishable food from home refer.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
watch the weather, then winterize.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:

I will add open the faucets while blowing out & drain the water heater also. I open the low points, blow out, drain water heater , anti freeze in traps. But, I keep my heat on about 50 and it very seldom gets into the teens here.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winterizing costs virtually nothing. Not winterizing could cost a lot. YMMV