Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Can you recommend me a high temperature tape?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can you recommend me a high temperature tape?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for edge trim. This is intended for use on metal or fiberglass edges. Very tough stuff. Won't come off until you remove it. No heat issue, no adhesive residue, looks professional.

This is the product I've used on my projects:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KG9BAY0/

[image]

[image]

[image]

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you, all of you!

I did look at Edge trim first, but because the removed roof was a dual-layer, I would need a total of about 80 feet, which gets awfully expensive.

If I use tape, I would use a 2-inch wide tape and tape over both edges with one piece of tape, sealing in the space between them. This would be a good thing for me because I have allergies, and it's difficult to clean in that space, which Narrows down to nothing. On the other hand there is a condensation issue.

Digging through my tool junk (which I probably should have done in the first place) I do have a large roll of foil tape. I could try it. It wouldn't cost money :-). But as someone pointed out, it would not breathe. It also wouldn't look that great....

I might still be looking for the perfect solution

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

CapnCampn

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a thought, maybe use your foil tape & poke a hole in it every so often for breathability. It would certainly reduce the amount of dust that travels in & out going from a large gap to a few small holes.

CC

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

+1 for the foil tape. It is duct tape in reality. They use it on HVAC systems, so you can get it at Homedept probably. I used some to tape around my hot water chimney at home. Not sure if that was right but it is holding up well.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have some foil duct tape that says it's good to 250F.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio,

Eternabond has one issue. The "edges" are sticky and dirt collects on the edges. Yes, you could caulk the edges.

I'm a fan of closed cell foam. It has a good R value which should cut down on condensation.

I wish you had included a picture--I really can't get my brain around what you are trying to fix.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

I wish you had included a picture--I really can't get my brain around what you are trying to fix.

Yeah, it's really hard to describe. I'm not at the van right now, but I did a little web search and here is a pretty good picture.

You can see how the roof he is cutting has two layers. Those two layers are both exposed on the inside of my van. They come together at the van gutter, so the space between the two layers diminishes down to nothing and a lot of crud gets in there. Pollen and stuff.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fill with white polyurethane sealant
Then cap/cover with with plastic trim molding

Something like this 'U' shaped rubber trim

https://www.amazon.com/White-small-0-375-height-0-093/dp/B01DCJBJZU

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you will only be doing this once, I'd suggest the best quality materials you can find.

This is not a time to use "as good as".

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really appreciate CapnCampn pointing out that I can just perforate non breathable tape, so I don't need to worry about the breathability issue.

I don't think I want to fill the space with anything. This is the same area of the van that landyacht was talking about one time on his van, where the two layers of the roof come together with the wall and the whole business is sort of pleated together with the gutter.

He said it's a major origination point for rust, on vans with raised roofs, because the caulking around the edge of the new roof tends to fill the gutter and water doesn't flow properly.

I tried to shape my caulking well, so that water would still flow, but it's possibly not ok-but-not-great. Anyway, water gets between the many layers of metal and doesn't have a path to evaporate.

That's why I'm thinking about covering the whole area with breathable fabric when I have time. Or maybe even wrap it with wood! But now I just need something so that I can travel and not shake the summer's accumulation of allergens into the air.

When I get to the point of doing the permanent covering, I could poke a whole ton of holes in the tape, or cut it away.

Whatever happened to landy, anyway? He was such a nice guy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can you recommend me a high temperature tape?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS