Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can you recommend me a high temperature tape?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can you recommend me a high temperature tape?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi folks!

I was searching Amazon and then I realized I should ask the experts here:-).

My new van, which is very much a work-in-progress, still has exposed metal around the interior edges where the original roof was cut away and the raised roof put on.

I'd like to cover up those edges, partly for protection (although I have run a grinder over them) and partly so that dust doesn't accumulate between the layers of the metal. The interior is white and it would be nice if the tape was white or clear. I will later cover this with fabric.

I don't want to use duct tape because I think the adhesive would break down in the high heat when the van is in storage in the summer. I would also avoid fiberglass tape, because I'm quite allergic to fiberglass and I'm afraid it might break down over time.

It would be extra great if the tape were breathable, because I will be taping two layers of metal with one piece of tape, and it would be nice to avoid condensation in the gap. One can't have everything, though.

I was looking at the 3M Extreme Sealing Tape, which has good data for temperature, but is expensive and I haven't used it before. And then I thought I should ask you all first! Can you think of a tape that would be ideal for this job?

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gorilla tape holds up quite well in my experience. I haven't specifically tried it in exceptionally high temperature areas, but for reasonable everyday temperatures in harsh conditions it holds up really well and doesn't get gooey. Gaffer's tape (used by theater people) would also work nicely and is somewhat similar, a little easier to remove.

Another option that's definitely not breathable and definitely not white is aluminum foil duct tape. This isn't standard duck tape/duct tape, but rather aluminum foil with an adhesive on one side and is used for sealing heating ducts. If the metal is clean it will stick pretty well, and being foil it holds its shape when bent. It is handy stuff for a variety of uses, but probably not ideal for exactly what you're looking for.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edge trim

Depends on how much exposed edge there is but this stuff comes in different formats.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV experts, yes, high temperature tape, not likely. I'd go to Google myself.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

RV experts, yes, high temperature tape, not likely. I'd go to Google myself.

High temp tape to me means something like exhaust system aluminized tape, not something that needs to withstand 120 deg temps. You can look at the aluminized tape, auto parts stores will have it if you think you need it.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you thought about Eternabond? It's white, lasts just about forever, and grips like crazy. You would need to use a very thin bead of Dicor along each edge to hide the thin line of whatever the glue is that Eternabond uses. Only place it does not meet your criteria is it is not breathable. But neither is aluminum tape or Gorilla tape.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NAIO

The true experts on this is the 3M company. Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing. Google them and they'll point you in the right direction. They make more different types of adhesive tapes then the rest of the world put together.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Adhesives-Tapes/?N=5002385+8710676+8711017+3294857497&rt=r3

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found that the products in the reference to be very reliable.

Click Here!

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the Eternabond idea
I think
The only way to avoid condensation, is too fill the gap with some polyurethane sealant before taping

3M Marine sealant, or Dicor thick Not the 'self leveling' which is too thin a viscosity and will 'run' from you gap

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Birdnst

Poquoson

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know it's not tape or white but have you considered automotive seam sealer. Very durable strong and long lasting.

If you cannot take good care of what you have, you will not have anything good for very long!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can you recommend me a high temperature tape?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS