Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Larrysr1957

Panama City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My question is has anyone pulled a full size pickup with a 35 ft gas motor home I have a 1997 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with a Ford 460 engine and my tow limit is 3500 lbs my truck is 4900 lbs.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

is this a one-time thing or will you be doing this on a regular basis? either way someone will likely be along to tell you towing 1400-lbs overweight is ok. i'm not that guy. can you pull the truck? sure. but can you stop as quickly as you could if you were towing nothing or a 3500-lb truck? nope. the brakes on your MH are engineered to stop the GVWR of your MH. even with an aux braking system your braking distance will be dramatically lengthened. you're going to stress the suspension, hitch, possibly the tow bar itself if it's not rated for the weight of your truck. weight ratings exist for a reason. you can probably get away with it once, maybe more, but IMO it's like playing with matches.

all that being said i do have a good friend who towed a park model from northern illinois to northern wisconsin with a 6-cyl pickup. this was 30-odd years ago so i don't recall the specifics but i recall him telling me that it was quite the experience and he was glad it was a one-time thing. we were all young and dumb at one time. most of us survived. my unsolicited advice is the same i gave my good friend...please think twice about doing this.

good luck.

'73,
rich, n9dko
If Jimmy cracks corn and nobody cares then why does he keep doing it?
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What others do or did shouldn’t guide your actions. Thirteen hundred pounds over is too much. That’s not “close.”

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen full sized pickups towed behind motorhomes of varying lengths, so yes it can be done. I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. If you're asking can your motorhome tow your full size pickup, I think you've already answered your own question. According to your posts, you will be grossly over weight and therefore not legal. Could you "get away with it"? Possibly. I just watched a YouTube video of an electric F150 towing a "1 million" pound train. It didn't try to stop it and it was on rails, it also didn't try to tow it up a hill. I'm not the "weight" police so often referred to, but I would say use common sense (is there such a thing anymore?).

There are motorhomes that are properly equipped to tow that much weight. I don't believe most 90's model RVs, especially gas chassis models, are though. There was a major shift in RV chassis design in the early 2000's to address significantly under rated chassis of previous models. The workhorse chassis had significantly higher weight capacity than the P-series GM based models. I didn't keep up with the Ford chassis, but I'm pretty sure almost all of the 90's models weren't up to the task of hauling the coaches built on them. Maybe others have a different experience or more insight into Ford chassis. Again, my experience lies with the GM based chassis. My BIL had a 90's P-Series chassis Bounder. When we bought the 2004 Bounder on the Workhorse chassis, he drove it and the first time he stopped he nearly threw us all through the windshield. His comment was "wow yours has brakes".

* This post was edited 09/08/19 09:42pm by happy2rv *

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your probably limited by the hitch at 5k lbs. if you weigh the MH you can then figure out what you can safely tow. Since you will probably be flat towing there is virtually no tongue weight. Start with weighing it ready for a trip. If your OK for that weight then look for a hitch rated for 7k lbs.

I ain't saying it's right but came across this coming back from Colorado on I80.

[image]

* This post was edited 09/09/19 05:48am by dodge guy *

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you asking if it's ok to tow a vehicle when you are knowingly 1400 lbs over? No, it isn't.

gswcgi

Wandering

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you get into an accident while towing that much over your weighted limit your insurance company will probably tell you to get lost !!

'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford rated your 17,000lb F53 chassis to tow 8,000lbs. Fleetwood derated your chassis when they installed frame extensions and installed a 3500lb receiver. If you take a look at the installation of the frame extensions, it may scare you. Have those frame extensions beefed up and add a 5000lb receiver and you'll be good to go with that truck.

Richard

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive,
they would eventually, find me attractive.

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Member, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Larrysr1957 wrote:

My question is has anyone pulled a full size pickup with a 35 ft gas motor home I have a 1997 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with a Ford 460 engine and my tow limit is 3500 lbs my truck is 4900 lbs.

Where is the weak link and for possibly correcting it or for at least being aware of it's limitations?
We pulled a ton over, all over the country, as most of these specs. are made for the worst of conditions.
In our case it was the GM tranny, so we had to be careful and for knowing a few tricks, when climbing long 6% grades in hot weather.
Otherwise, we never knew it was back there, just like our present coach, regardless of the terrain.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Trumpet Player

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

Ford rated your 17,000lb F53 chassis to tow 8,000lbs. Fleetwood derated your chassis when they installed frame extensions and installed a 3500lb receiver. If you take a look at the installation of the frame extensions, it may scare you. Have those frame extensions beefed up and add a 5000lb receiver and you'll be good to go with that truck.

Richard

Unfortunately, the recommendation to "beef up the frame extensions" is frankly one really bad piece of advice.

As most probably know, the required federal certification sticker as issued by the completed vehicle manufacturer sets the maximum limits allowed for each vehicle. The fact is, if you were over the allowed gross combined weight (as you would be based on your description), having the modifications made as recommended above would actually work against you, if God forbid there were to be an accident. See, a first year law student could present the idea that clearly you knew you had an over capacity/weight issue and you attempted an unapproved modification to try and compensate for the conditions. That would then be turned on you to prove gross negligence on your part. You would also likely see your insurance carrier wash their hands of any liability coverage as a result.

Sorry, that is just the way it works. I have testified many times on issues like these as a SME (Subject Matter Expert) and seen it happen.

2012 American Coach Revolution

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS