Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Dish newbie
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Dish newbie

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
klr650goldwing

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently bought a used 5er with a dish mounted on the roof. This dish folds up for traveling. I know nothing about this system, but just recently subscribed to the dish network. This coming Wednesday morning the dish people will come out and install the system on our house and show us how to use it on the trailer. What are the odds the installer will know how to work the dish on the 5er? Will they have a manual they will leave with us etc.? Are there any specific questions I should ask?

2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2004 F350, V10, CC, LB, 4X4, 456
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you likely have a Winegard Trav'ler sat dish. your immediate issue is if the Trav'ler is rigged for DISH or DirecTV. any clues from the previous owner like paperwork, manuals, etc? worst case if it is rigged for DTV it can be converted to DISH. there should be a control box in one of the overhead cabinets. manuals are online. reach out if you have other questions

'73,
rich, n9dko
If Jimmy cracks corn and nobody cares then why does he keep doing it?
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

lryrob9301

Mid-Atlantic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The odds are 0 that the installer will know anything about the RV system. I would bet they will not even touch the RV installation, and tell you to take it somewhere to have the equipment installed.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lryrob9301 wrote:

The odds are 0 that the installer will know anything about the RV system. I would bet they will not even touch the RV installation, and tell you to take it somewhere to have the equipment installed.

well, not zero but not great. i’ve run across some with RV experience. but your first hurdle is determining if the sat dish is DISH of DTV.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“What are the odds the installer will know how to work the dish on the 5er?“

Very high. Let us know if he/she does know.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go ahead and deploy the antenna. It will lock on even without the receiver installed. Now, take a picture of the antenna while raised and post here so we can see what you have. You can also use the controller to raise the antenna and when you start it up it will have a message about the antenna. When it's locked on it will either have *101, *119, 110 (DirecTV) or *119, *110, *129 (Dish Network). If you are lucky and it's a Dish antenna then you can leave the antenna up, let the installer install and life will be good. If it's not a Dish antenna, call and stop the installation as you are going to need to order $300 worth of parts from Winegard and either install them or find an RV professional (not a Dish Network guy) to install them.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I called Dish to activate my Wally with a Playmaker carryout dish. The Technical support guy asked repeatedly about getting the carryout installed, totally clueless. He finally kicked it up to a manager to get the simple activation done.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could probably find a lot of stuff on youtube.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

You could probably find a lot of stuff on youtube.

that’s an excellent idea. i always forget about the ‘how to’ videos on YouTube. Bill’s advice to raise the sat dish and see which birds it finds is also spot on. be sure you’re dish is clear of trees to the South/Southwest. The ‘Dish For My RV App’ is useful for
determining if your dish can see the sats.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we went from directv to dish the installer put the dish box in the living room, the Joey in the bedroom and our vip211 in the MH and made all three work.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Dish newbie
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS