cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for Fridge Suggestions

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just had my old Dometic NDR1292 removed and had a Magic Chef installed. I was really happy until I found the User's Manual and read "not designed to be installed in an rv or used with an inverter" Now if this wasn't enough it also stated "ambient Temperature below 50"F or above 85 F will hinder the performance of the appliance. Working with dealer for not telling me.

So I'm looking for suggestions as to what residential fridge would work I need to be able to have a counter depth one where I can open the door to a max of 50 inches. Width 32 inches and height not to exceed 62 inches.

For those of you who have residential fridges in your RV can you send me the make and model number. I might be able to work with the height.
My MH is a 2001 National Tradewinds model 7390.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am
20 REPLIES 20

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went to Lowe's today and they are exchanging fridges next Monday. This time I will plug it in late Tuesday, giving it more then 24 hours in case it was tilted. Not going to install it in the cubby hole until I'm sure it's working.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
Folks I have a Freedom 458 series combi inverter/charger, it is a 2000 watt, is this good for running the residential fridge down the road?
Is this a sine?

Hey Sarge, the Freedom is a good solid unit and will not cause issues. These guys forget that all we had at one time was MSW and when PSW came out it was super expensive.

I would be cautious with a $75 Harbor Freight MSW but not the unit you have.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
Well I got the Haier 9.8 fridge from Lowes on Friday around noon. They actually put it in the MH, but couldn't get it in the area it needed to be with the doors on. I took the doors off and Sat Morning my neighbors came over and lifted it in place. I put the doors on and waited till about 4pm to plug it in before locking it in place. As of Sunday night it still hadn't cooled down.

Why me all the time, guess I'll call Lowe's and ask them to come get it and return my money.

We must be related!

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I used a Xantrex 3624 modified sine wave with a house fridge for years with no issues. Not only me but lots of RV'ers. I would be leery of a small cheap MSW, but have no experience with them.

Some refrigerators today do not have coils they use the sides and top to dissipate heat and need space for air to circulate around them to cool, check instructions.

Many products today claim to use the best material and design and manufacturing techniques possible. But then say in tiny print that if you use the product the warranty is void.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our Haier 10.2 cu ft fridge has been in constant operation in our RV for the past three years with zero problems. The Lowes folks moved it into the coach, but I wanted to power it up for 24 hours before installing it in the Norcold space, so I didn't have them do that part. The fridge doesn't seem to care if it's on shorepower or our Samlex pure sine wave inverter.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shore power, had it plugged into the same outlet the Dometic was which is good but to be on the safe side I plugged it into a house plug.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Is it running off shore power or the inverter?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I got the Haier 9.8 fridge from Lowes on Friday around noon. They actually put it in the MH, but couldn't get it in the area it needed to be with the doors on. I took the doors off and Sat Morning my neighbors came over and lifted it in place. I put the doors on and waited till about 4pm to plug it in before locking it in place. As of Sunday night it still hadn't cooled down.

Why me all the time, guess I'll call Lowe's and ask them to come get it and return my money.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d go with this uber efficient 12v solar refer and skip the inverter...

https://bensdiscountsupply.com/super-sale-voltray-7-4-cu-ft-12v-24v-solar-dc-refrigerator-freezer-grey-model-c4p7-4-sr-vr/

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Most minis are Chinese try and find Korean or Taiwanese. Leave the serene caterpillar junk for the wealthy who can afford it. A long warranty is not infallible but it's good benchmark. If your unit uses rear not side cooling simply pasting on a cut up heavy duty space blanket top and sides and pasting it to the reefer makes an improvement in efficiency. Look on Amazon for -Heavy Duty- Space Blanket.

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
After a lot of suggestions and me searching I found a fridge that will be installed (by ME). It is a Haier 9.8cf. I emailed the mfg and asked if it would work in a RV and would it be covered by the factory warranty. Loved the response--"it will work in a rv, house, garage and even a straw house" and the warranty will cover it". Gonna keep that response on file and also in a plastic bag in the freezer. Just found out that Haier owns GE, they even sent me info on two GE fridges that would fit except for the depth.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

stage
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a Magic Chef about a year and a half ago in our class a and it is still going strong. Hands down the best mod I ever did. I did install a 2000w psw inverter but only because I didn't have one already.
2004 Four Winds Hurricane 29d
1997 Jeep Wrangler toad
2016 Ford Edge toad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
No, a google search says it's a mod sine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Folks I have a Freedom 458 series combi inverter/charger, it is a 2000 watt, is this good for running the residential fridge down the road?
Is this a sine?
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am