cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

smaller pull behind - single axle VS tandem axle ??

trx680
Explorer
Explorer
On a smaller pull behind, such as a 18-20ft, whats the advantage of a tandem axle versus a single axle?
10 REPLIES 10

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
trx680 wrote:
On a smaller pull behind, such as a 18-20ft, whats the advantage of a tandem axle versus a single axle?

I could write a book on advantages for a tandem axle advantages over any single axle on a 18'-20' trailer.

Having pulled both for a living you could not pay me double contract wages to pull a single axle trailer. JMHO
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had single axle trailers for 14 years -- one blowout -- and that is why I wish I had a dual axle! A blowout on a single axle can be very dangerous.

But I have no choice. I prefer really small trailers, which are always (I think) single axle.

So I watch my tires like a hawk and replace them every few years. (Probably a good idea for dual axle folks, too!)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
2 axles provide more cargo capacity, less bouncy going down the highway, straighter tracking (single axle can sway slightly more a double axle), four points of contact with the road surface in lieu of two points of contact when braking.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
A single axle, if not overloading the tires, will never overload the tires on any grade. A tandem walking across rough ground, the weight on each tire is always changing.
A tandem is more than twice as likely to have a flat, and is more likely to have damage from the flat tire.
At highway speed, every bump is hit a extra time.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Our 21โ€™ camper weighs 5000 pounds ready to go. I would not want it to be riding on one axle. As it is, there is a comfortable 1000 pound margin from the 6000 pound gross weight.
It also is within specs for it to ride on 14โ€ load C tires, though ours has D tires with gobs of room for weight; something like 3000 pounds.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
all of our trailers have been tandems, the 19, 24 and the present 26
had single axle popups years ago
so i cant really state which is better. tandems are more maintenance, twice as many tires BUT
as a casual observation, tandems seem more stable, less sway and bounce on the highway, this just from seeing them on the road. a flat tire on a tandem is almost a non event and changing a wheel is much easier usually(just need to pull or push the trailer onto a block under the good tire
backing up is the same imho but tandems do exhibit tire "scrub" in tight turns which can be disconcerting
overall i prefer the tandem mostly for the redundency
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Single axel trailers usually have a heavier rated axel.
My dad and uncle had 70s Airstreams. Identical layout but my uncles was a foot longer, had a double sink. His was a tandem while dads was a single but dadโ€™s had bigger rims And way bigger brakes. The single will back up much easier.

CCC is definitely a concern.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Single axle TTs have about 900 pounds of capacity. My 22 foot Winnie with dual axles has 3220 pounds of cargo capacity. More than a ton and a half.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I like single axles, because when I had tandem axle trailers I had a lot more nail and screw punctures... always in the back tires.

But in an 18'-20' trailer I doubt you'll have enough cargo (weight) carrying capacity with a single axle. Simply filling the water tank might just about put you up to the max. My last couple trailers have been 16'-17' overall. Plus, with a single axle on a 19' or 20'you run the risk of dragging the rear when you go through low spots or up angles (like turning uphill into a gas station or something).
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Cargo carrying capacity. The smaller lighter SINGLE axle TT normally use a 3500# axle.
Two tires a side, if you have a blowout, hopefully the remaining tire will allow to limp to a safe place to change the blown tire.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,