Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Electric slide outs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Electric slide outs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen more posts regarding problems with hydraulic slideouts than I have electric slideouts. Our 1994 5th wheel has a 14ft long by 4ft deep slideout plus a smaller bedroom slideout. Both are controlled by electric motors. The only problem I've had since new was the wire nut came off on the large slideout motor. I put on a new wire nut and all has been OK since.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember when I was RV shopping back in "14-15".. The 1st RV dealership told me that Hydraulic slides were the only type to get.. And by the way, they happen to have those on the floor..

The 2nd dealership told me that electric were the only type to get, and wow, they also had them on the lot.

And the LAST dealership swore by cable slides, yup, you guessed it, thats what they sold !

Anyway, I have had basically all 3 ( including Schwintek ) and really can't complain about any of them.... Just like anything else.. show them some TLC and they will thank you by running

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Electric slides and levelers on my 08 Bounder and still working good except one brake on one levler is starting to go bad..

No need to worry about hydrolic lines leaking with electric..

[emoticon]

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW my Georgetown with triple slides have hydraulic and maybe be upper scale 2007 and same pump for levelers are for slides.

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Weldon

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hydraulic on 5er for 14 years then both cylinders went out. Had then rebuilt for around $225. each now all is well.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2012 Forest River Georgetown has hydraulic slides (3 of them). Quieter and smoother than the gear driven slides. Although I am dreading the day I have a hydraulic leak! but for now I am happy with them.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The schwintek slide units had a lot of issues a few years back. They were under engineered for the task and the solution was to add a third rail (2 at the top and one at the bottom). I know friends that had a THOR with this type of slide and had nothing but problems and a horrible time getting Thor to warranty it. Now you see a lot of these 2 rail units for sale. I haven't read of any issues since the 3rd rail was added to the Schwintek system, but personally I wouldn't buy an RV with it.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Power Gear electric slides on our present and previous MHs have been pretty much trouble free and never got out of alignment. Simple and effective - I like it like that.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

The schwintek slide units had a lot of issues a few years back. They were under engineered for the task and the solution was to add a third rail (2 at the top and one at the bottom). I know friends that had a THOR with this type of slide and had nothing but problems and a horrible time getting Thor to warranty it. Now you see a lot of these 2 rail units for sale. I haven't read of any issues since the 3rd rail was added to the Schwintek system, but personally I wouldn't buy an RV with it.

Your analysis is wrong on Schwintek slides. It IS correct as it relates to certain Thor products(3 rail). But, your statement that Schwinteks were not designed/engineered for the task is wrong. ALL the original designed and still used today 2 rail Schwinteks do is move the room in and out. They support NO LOAD of the room at all and are not designed to. The support of the room is done by the Floor rollers. The original Schwinteks got a bad rap because the OEM's designed inadequate frames and inadequate wall support when the hole for the room is cut out. After a few years of problems that had nothing to do with Schwintek, the OEM's beefed up their frames and in wall stud supports. Failure of a Schwintek now is usually related to bad wire routing(wires pinched and cut) or inadequate install by the OEM. Motors rarely fail. Doug

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sargehut234 wrote:

We are looking at class A gas motor homes, so for just Jayco and Thor Mirmar. we
Plan to include Newmar, Tittin, Fleetwood and a couple of others.
So far the slide outs are driven by electric motors (not hydraulic), could I expect to find
that on all new class A gas units?
Thanks SARGE!

I prefer all electric.
They have less to contend with and work very well.
Longevity of mechanism is very good too or at least with POWERGEAR.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Electric slide outs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS