cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold Fridge Problem

jbrack
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 5th Wheel with a double door Norcold fridge. We have been up in Alaska and all around the Yukon, BC, and Alberta where we encountered RV parks with poor electrical service. At two places we were on generator power and I know I was not getting the proper amps I need. My RV is designed to run on 50 amp but I use a 30 amp adapter like everyone else does. My fridge has always performed perfectly but now I have to put the temp setting on 9 to keep the temp inside in the safe zone. My question is did I damage my fridge by using low amperage power? It won't stay cold on straight propane either.
23 REPLIES 23

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You should NOT cut plywood without reading the installation manual. Certain baffles are required.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The blocking may be there intentionally. Take a picture and post it here.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
NO!!!!!

That plywood is a BAFFLE to help direct the airflow up thru absorber tubes then up and acroos condenser fins then out the upper vent

Baffle is a good thing.

Fans NOT running is major problem of NO Cooling

As suggested JUMPER the 2 wires togther on t-stat and see if fans come on.
If they do REPLACE the t-stat

Did you open the link and look at the pgs ????
Look at pg 34

Better yet...read the whole Service Manual
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We had a blockage in our 8 month old Norcold Fridge. We had to cancel our month vacation. We had Norcold tech come out on vacation and nothing was accomplished. So we headed home and took the RV to our local our RV shop. It took 6 weeks for Norcold to do anything. After testing,etc. Norcold decided to install a new cooling system. We ended buying a 4 year warranty on the unit.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

jbrack
Explorer
Explorer
Ok...I located the fans behind the upper panel. Two fans and neither was turning. There is a 1/8"plywood coming up from below that completely blocks the view of the fans. The fins are out in the open but the fans are down behind the plywood. Should I cut that plywood out of there? Cant imagine what purpose it serves. Seems like it is just blocking air flow.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
That has to be the longest URL I have ever seen! WOW!!
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
There WILL be fans. To see them you'll have to be on a ladder looking down into the upper vent. The thermostat for them is a small disk-like thing screwed to one of the upper fins with two wires. Putting a jumper across the two wires should make the fans run. Thoses sensors are VERY prone to failing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Norcold-618093-Cooling-Fan-Refrigerator-Thermostat/162493721250?epid=1027921925&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item25d5616aa2:g:m-4AAOSwRJpbczx7&enc=AQAEAAAB8BPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qVwB%2F46Aob8b2mgyxZi30ekzeHmNVqUG48cztUnAXkgzniF5wv46Z58Vl6Qr5qOQ3YLOQrNHlsdg6h2jFEYYX9RdhFxJJ932g8FGwRVd1cmOcBZOZlVsQvqsHBNW4IuLUwf9yIEYKO77cCVdSZUkBRoHrThxWEPGvEQvvs%2BJtzjn3zzT3%2BCpL3KJwItPF6L7mgUbVvro6yWJK%2FK1YPBZTxHkbOSY1qEcMm%2F4oXGVEqdqGlWVlzhidWWwwwf1gmqeFFlNmr6ZMm%2BcLh7G5KR5eq51cd4h%2B4d7YFr83wr7v84zd3AFGq%2BAbJkFWaC%2Ff08g932f2Ccgi%2BoqUTEDVWk%2BsjMGZnw8lxKDXk57DzYmrMP8qMHo8M6QkjEH9Y3Qzzq7rz0QiX1FIOgQtsPOl18bM9y7VHSFKPGuiqpQF3M98vJWATmA4AyVy%2FjKL%2BQLRVyvh5YKeq9rgcPa4UcLAt10uqQODJdtS%2Fpt%2B%2BMOLnwGaEsw2Ek5c4cVbrjXBqRW7nCKn9I898rCLoM90f7Y6dPAzn3%2FNLZPVjymvaipRYU3VqoD2vzEv9OMUY17Y2%2FVgdetr%2BYxv9zn6sIiOYWY%2FsX6srbtkarVvJIAqcTa6F%2FeYAE1L11znClLT%2Ff4RhsPfth%2FqQ%3D&checksum=16249372125048006aa4fcfe426698d7f290c1e6f5b0

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
A Norcold 1210 IN a SLIDE should have external fans otherwise draft (airflow) is minimized.

Remove Upper Vent and look DOWN you will see the fans
Thermostat to controls fans is attached to the condenser Fin

DC+ comes from the 10 pin connector ion circuit board (Pin 5/Red wire)
Goes to thermostat on condenser fin and then to the dual fans

See pgs 48,49 & 70

1210 Service Manual
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I neglected to mention there should be a couple of muffin fans (like in computers) in back of the refrigerator that cycle on when the refrigerator is hot and trying to cool down. You should hear them running most of the day especially when the sun's shining on that side. You might need a mirror to look up behind the refrigerator to see them. If they're not running when they should, the refrigerator can't reject the heat and its ability to cool down inside is curtailed.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:

... I'd immediately invest in the ARP unit to prevent further overheating.

X2 and the ARP can control fans to improve performance.
You may have fan(s) but the thermostat to turn them on has quit.
Mine lasted one weekend when new. Now I use the ARP to control them.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

You may have a partial blockage of the cooling system.

Damage may happen in as little is 15 minutes.

Some folks have had occasional success by using a vibrating type electric sander (with no sand paper) placed on the tubing and running it for a time. This is pretty much a "Hail Mary" but if you have the tools...

Some others have had occasional success by taking the fridge out and "rolling it" over and over to try to dislodge the clog. Again this is a "Hail Mary".

If either of these work for you, I'd immediately invest in the ARP unit to prevent further overheating.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jbrack
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
The newer models are much more forgiving than the old ones BUT, leveling is still PARAMOUNT! The fluids that circulate inside the coils are dependent on the refrigerator being level to return and work effectively. Front to back is critical and side to side is very important. Operating very long off level can cause the fluids to solidify and if that happens, you've ruined your refrigerator.

Having been on marginal power is not the cause of your problem.

Great info...thank you

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
The newer models are much more forgiving than the old ones BUT, leveling is still PARAMOUNT! The fluids that circulate inside the coils are dependent on the refrigerator being level to return and work effectively. Front to back is critical and side to side is very important. Operating very long off level can cause the fluids to solidify and if that happens, you've ruined your refrigerator.

Having been on marginal power is not the cause of your problem.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

jbrack
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
Is your rig level? It is critical on the norcolds that they be level in order to operate properly.

It wasn't when I was recently doing an overnight in a parking lot and I was on propane. I suspected that might play a role in this but I have since relocated to an RV park and I am level but still with 30 amp and still having issues