cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter in Northern OK

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, we are jumping feet first into full timing in about 2 months in our Class A MH and have spent some time scoping out monthly RV spots in Northern Oklahoma. I want to be able to stay within a days drive of the Omaha area, and also my MIL in Wichita, KS, yet avoid it being too cold or snowy in Dec-Jan. Has anyone spent the winter in this part of OK and what was your experience, LP gas usage, etc... Thanks! Jeff
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad
8 REPLIES 8

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
By December its time to get the heck out of dodge, eh, Oklahoma! Way too cold around here.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
there's no where in the center of the country that you can avoid the cold anywhere north of San Antonio and you'll get a few hard freezes there. That's why the snowbirds go to MCallan.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Around Tulsa a fairly typical winter day might be a high around 40 and a low in the mid 20s. But plenty of non-typical days occur, too, on both sides of that. So there are some cold spells and some warm spells. We haven't been getting enough snow or ice lately to matter; occasionally an inch or three; but I can recall years when we'd get 16" in a week or a big ice storm.

NW OK and the panhandle is higher elevation and notably colder; you don't want to go there, for sure.

Maybe look at things about 300 miles farther south, in Texas or New Mexico, in low elevations. Like someone said, check weather sites like weather.com or wunderground.com for seasonal averages/highs/lows through the winter months.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Let me put it this way. I live in Okc.

As soon as I can retire, I'm buying a winter home in Arizona.

Good luck to you.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
WE-C-USA wrote:
Northern OK & avoid being cold or snowy in Dec-Jan. Is like wanting to win the Lottery. Good Luck.

Yep, might even be able to drive on a clear highway.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do yourself a favor and go online to the Weather Channel and pull up the monthly averages for that area. Driving to Omaha that time of year is like the ice capades. You are not far enough from Iowa that time of year to expect better weather.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Northern OK & avoid being cold or snowy in Dec-Jan. Is like wanting to win the Lottery. Good Luck.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the roll of insulated reflectix for your windshield, a lot of cold comes in thru that single pane glass. Also a lot of condensation on the inside when it's cold out. The reflectix helps with both of those things. Insulated pillows for vents to help keep heat from escaping thru those plastic covers. We use an electric heater to supplement the propane furnace. Never spent a winter in N Oklahoma, but have been much further south and been cold.