cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lippert auto leveling question

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
Continuing on with my “I just too delivery of my first 5th wheel” line of annoying questions, here’s another.

My new rig came with the lippert auto leveling system, but we didn’t demo it during my PDI. It seems really easy to use, but I’m not sure what to expect the first time. I was told to completely unhitch (chock the tires, set the landing gear, unwire and pull the truck away) before leveling. What I’m not visualizing is how the system levels the camper without bending the landing gear. Does it completely lift the rig off the ground?

Good grief, after 10+ years of travel trailering, i didn’t think that I’d have so many silly questions. I’m a greenhorn again. 🙂
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L
14 REPLIES 14

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
I back in and look at my levels (they have inch marks) that I installed on my pin box.If off more than 2 1/2" side to side I'll put blocks on the low side.Then I'll look and see how much off front to rear. Then if I'm showing low in the front I drop the leg extender and lift of the hitch. Move the truck and hit auto level. If high in the front let's say 5" then I'll run the front main legs down about 6" then drop the leg extenders lift of the hitch move the truck and hit auto level. If high in the front you need to run the main leg out so it has room to drop down to level or almost level.Now let's say the front is 5" high but you only ran the main leg down a couple inches.Auto level can only lower the front 2" at most and will to have to raise the rear 4" + to get to level.Maybe I just worry more than I should about lifting the whole camper.That's how I do it maybe more work than I need to be doing.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
First, there are instructions on the inside of your LP compartment door. What I do is lower the front jacks a little 3-4 inches, then drop the lower drop legs. Then go to manual mode and lower the front jacks to unhitch from truck, stop when the hitch just starts to lift from the 5th wheel. Un-hook and unplug, pull the truck away, (you may have to backup slightly to take pressure off of your hitch to release the jaws), remembering to lower you tailgate first, and then hit autolevel, and it will take over from there. The jacks are solidly built and will easily take the eweight of the trailer, although I wouldn't start out with it so unlevel that it lifts the wheels off of the ground. You shouild also have a cd that explains how to level your trailer. Your dealer should not have let you leave without demonstrating, especially if your new to 5th wheels, and given that some of the auto-leveling systems were miswired, and may not work correctly. Be careful to not move your trailer when the jacks are down, Lippert does not sell parts for the Ground Control 3.0 jacks, just the entire jacks.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
bobbyg123 wrote:
Thanks everyone. I hear what you’re all saying, but my question is more conceptual. With the unit unhitched and supported by the landing gear, how does the lippert system level the camper without bending or breaking the landing gear? I’m not grasping how it can pitch the rig forward without causing damage.

There is no pitching forward, the landing gear, and two rear jacks go up, or down to level the unit. and have a limit to the length they can go out.
Sometimes blocks are needed to help in the process.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
bobbyg123 wrote:
Thanks everyone. I hear what you’re all saying, but my question is more conceptual. With the unit unhitched and supported by the landing gear, how does the lippert system level the camper without bending or breaking the landing gear? I’m not grasping how it can pitch the rig forward without causing damage.

it used your landing gear to do the leveling.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
bobbyg123 wrote:
It levels front to back and side to side. The tires don't necessarily come off the ground - mine never have. There should be a step by step instruction sticker by the keypad - follow the instructions - that's it. But do yourself a favor and download the manual to your phone - we have had to use it when there is an unexpected error.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
OP said you can push "Hitch Height" and it will return to the height it was when auto leveled - Only if you have not pushed any buttons.

Here is the Ground control 3 manual https://support.lci1.com/ground-control-3.0-support-ground-control-3.0-onecontrol-touch-panel

Read the section on setting "Zero Point" (level) The system will occasionally hiccup and forget it. Pretty easy to reset but you'll need the manual to walk you through it. I have done it a couple times in 2.5 years and still read as I do it.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
You probably have the Lippert Ground Control 3.0, so look it up on youtube, and there are many videos.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bobbyg123 wrote:
Continuing on with my “I just too delivery of my first 5th wheel” line of annoying questions, here’s another.

My new rig came with the lippert auto leveling system, but we didn’t demo it during my PDI. It seems really easy to use, but I’m not sure what to expect the first time. I was told to completely unhitch (chock the tires, set the landing gear, unwire and pull the truck away) before leveling. What I’m not visualizing is how the system levels the camper without bending the landing gear. Does it completely lift the rig off the ground?

Good grief, after 10+ years of travel trailering, i didn’t think that I’d have so many silly questions. I’m a greenhorn again. 🙂

First off, shame on your dealer for not running you through a full hitch, unhitch, level, re-hitch cycle!

Since I boondock more often than not, I pull my truck away (after chocking and dropping the front legs) enough to clear the nose of my FW, but leave the trailer plugged in to the in-bed plug. That way, I'm not using the house batteries as much. I'll often leave the truck running, too, while it levels. My system does have a "rehitch" setting, but I've not found it to be terribly accurate, so I just eyeball it when backing back in, after raising the rear jacks first, of course.

One thing that I noticed this last time we camped in the forest, was that my jacks =did= sink a bit after a couple days, with a bit of rain, even though all my jacks were on 12" wood pieces. Last night we were there, I did notice a bit more wiggling and jiggling (of the TRAILER!) but didn't think anything about it. Next time, I'll plan on re-leveling after 48 hours.

Another thing, my rig came with JT Strongarms from the factory, so once I'm level, I'll raise the front just a touch, tighten the JTs, then re-level so there's pressure on them. It =does= make a difference.

Don't freak out if you get one side off the ground. The jacks are very strong and are more than capable. As many others have said, you'll likely want some blocks under the jacks, especially the rear. Increased footprint is always good, but the rear jacks can run out of stroke, so you need the blocks to give them more runout. The one real complaint I have is that my system always seems to want to level UP, so it will unweight the higher side, as well. I'd love to be able to have a command to "drop X inches all 4 corners".

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
bobbyg123,

I was in your shoes exactly a year ago. After a life time of travel trailer, we purchased our first 5er, and it's a whopper at 41 feet. And... after one year now, I still struggle with the Lippert self-leveling system. Mine is the 6 point, not hydraulic.

First, YouTube.com is your friend. Do a YouTube search for "Lippert Leveling System" and you'll get lots of hits. Start watching these videos. Some will help you a lot, others will drive you nuts because you want them to just get to the point and quit talking their pet dog or their grand kids.

Lippert also puts out some really good YouTube videos on the leveling system. Start with them.

But I think the answer you are looking for goes like this.

Truck and camper are parked an in position to unhitch and level.

1. Chock trailer wheels
2. Unplug umbilical cord and break-away cable.
3. Lower tail gait.
4. (I put wooden blocks under each jack so they don't have to extend so far)
5. MANUALLY lower the front jacks, which will begin to raise the front of the camper. When the weight of the camper is off the 5er hitch in the bed of the truck, then stop raising it. This may take some practice to learn to eyeball when the trailer is high enough to uncouple OK, and when it's actually lifting the truck, or still resting too heavy on the hitch.

6. After the front of the trailer is adjusted just right, pull the 5er hitch and release the jaws.

7. Pull the truck out of the way, clearing the 5er completely.

8. On the Lippert control panel, simply hit Auto-Level and let the trailer do the rest.

To hitch, you do just the opposite. The Lippert system will remember the height position where you hit "auto level". Push the left and right arrows at the same time. Rear jacks will raise up out of the way, and the front jacks will position itself to the same height as when you unhitched (provided your front jacks did not sink in the ground, if on dirt or grass).

Now, pull the jaws open on your hitch, lower the tail gate, and back under this king pin until you couple up. Lock your hitch, connect your breakway cable.

Now, MANUALLY raise the jacks back UP, (Retract-then the up arrow) which is lowering the 5er and resting the king pin full weight on the hitch.

This is the basic way to do it. It's easy once you've been through it a time or two. The real problem is when you unhitch and you are not on level ground and one of your jacks throws an error code OR you are not fairly level when you hit the auto level button. Then the true insanity of Lippert shines forth. Figuring out how to clear those error codes is another chapter, all by itself.

FYI, we purchased our 5er in September, last year, and after a year, I still feel very, very "green". After being around nothing but travel trailers 63 years of my life, the 64th year, and only 1 year of 5er experience is ... well ... challenging for an old dog.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^^^^^^ What the previous 2 posts said !!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

FWIW, I chock at least 2 wheels before unhooking (usually left ones). To this extent, I'm a cheap bugger and just use a couple 2x4's x 12". Once unhooked and pulled away, the front legs holds the coach with aid from the other legs thereafter.

BUT DO AS Cummins12V98 said and have nothing near the front as it will "kneel" down 1st once auto level is activated.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
IT will drop the front of the unit first so get the truck out of the way,after that it will level it self as required.Its not likely to lift the wheels off unless one side is low.I always use 16 inch x2 pads on gravel or dirt.
you will love it.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be sure nothing is near the front of the RV when hitting auto level as the front dip down then levels after that.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Not to be a jerk, But - I hate to say it, shame on you for leaving the dealer without asking them how EVERYTHING works..

ALTHOUGH, the folks here on RV.Net will know much more than any dealer....

Anyway, all 6 of my jacks are hydraulic, all I do is unhook the truck, pull it away and hit - ~ AUTO LEVEL ~ .. the system does the rest!

Does your landing gear work off the same system, or is it electric? Do you have 4 point, or 6 point ?

** On Edit **
I checked out your signature to see what you have,.... It looks like Jayco offered the 4 point auto level... Make sure the front is clear like stated and level it...easy peasy
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet