cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Late check out

brant_c
Explorer
Explorer
So this past weekend we got reservations a month ago for Friday thru Monday.
Sunday afternoon I asked the camp ground owner if we could get a late checkout. He obliged. I told him that if there were people coming that we would leave. It's an 11:00 AM checkout.

He said he would put them in the next site until we leave...we were planning to leave by 2:00 PM. The reason is the wife and I wanted to ride some more mountain bike trails, make brunch, shower and pack/leave.

Well, the people showed up at noon. We were in the process of packing. They parked in the site next to us. I approached them and apologized. I told them we had permission to get late checkout...and that we were hurrying to get packed/leave.

The lady proceeds to tell me that we were in their spot. Duh! She also tells me that they were supposed to be there Sunday. I didn't respond and just apologized again.

They left in the car that was following the truck and fifth wheel.

We were gone by 12:55 PM.

Any body ever ask for a late check out?

This is our second time asking. Never been turned down. On our invoice it states 3:00 PM arrival. There is no checkin time anywhere on the campground web site policy.
2015 F250 Platinum 6.7
2006 RPM 23FB Toy Hauler
34 REPLIES 34

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Occasionally, we will arrive early. If the campground agrees and the site is vacant, I've never had a problem getting an early check-in. If the site is not available or the campground prohibits it, no problem; I can wait. Occasionally I ask for a late checkout; again, IF the campground agrees and IF no one has reserved the site; great. If it cannot be accommodated, no problem; I leave.

I don't really understand the angst. The decision of the campground owner is the final answer, although it's certainly nice to spend my money where the management is willing to extend some hospitality if possible.

HOWEVER...
brant_c wrote:
...we got reservations a month ago for Friday thru Monday.
Sunday afternoon I asked the camp ground owner if we could get a late check-out. He obliged.
The lady proceeds to tell me that we were in their spot. Duh! She also tells me that they were supposed to be there Sunday.
Based on my highlighted sections above of the OP, the campground owner screwed up. On Sunday afternoon, the campground agreed to allow a late check-out for Monday, even though they had reservations from other campers for a Sunday check-in.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Having worked in the hotel industry for 10-years and also an avid RV'er for 18-years, I believe there's more similarities (conceptually) between campgrounds and hotels than there are differences.

The bottom line is both offer a resource in which the customer will occupy a space for a given period of time. The check-out time is critical to allow for preparing the resource for the next visitor. Hence, the check-in time standardizes the expectation, for the incoming guest, of when the resource will be available for their use. But, just like you probably experience with traffic laws, we never enforced either policy with an iron fist.

Honestly, when a guest arrived early, if a room was available, I was more than happy to check them in and hand over a key. We both won, because it was one less check-in I would have to handle later (during the busy time) and the guest could get unpacked and enjoy their day.

Late check-outs were rare, because most people were ready get to their next destination, whether it be home or somewhere else. However, we would accommodate such requests when possible. We never really asked, or even cared, what the reason was, because the result was still the same - use of the resource for an extended time.

In our own travels, we keep things simple and don't sweat the small stuff. Sometimes it's easier said than done, but we try to follow the practice.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Offering an option that is used by few customers, but often causes inconvenience for other customers and the staff, is not a winning proposition for any business.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with you. What you refer to as a monopoly is more a case of the business being being dominant and good at what they do.
"Sort of like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld" Their product or service is superior to the point that they dominate the competition and set their own rules.
You can either play by their rules or play somewhere else.
A business that can dominate their marketplace and set the rules as they see fit did not get to that point by accident.
They generally have a good reputation and many satisfied customers that keep coming back.
Their core service/product is generally so good that consumers ignore or deal with any quirkiness or rules they do not like.
There are CG's I frequent the have rules or policies I don't agree with but at the end of the day I keep coming back because overall I always have a positive experience.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Lantley wrote:

If it is my business . I run it the way I choose. My CG is not managed by the campers. I don't owe them any explanation, but a simple schedule disruptions have created too many communication and scheduling problems in the past would suffice.
If my CG is run well otherwise, I don't think a blanket no late check ins or early arrivals will be detrimental to overall customer experience. If the place were managed poorly, I doubt you would have many looking to stay longer.
AS we can see from this post, late departures and early arrivals can easily create confusion and havoc. As the owner I set a fixed schedule that allows me to operate efficiently altering that schedule too often hurts the customer experience

I've come across a few business owners who come across they way you do in your posts...if you check around, they are usually avoided if there is any other possibility available. The ones that survive usually have some form of monopoly in the local area.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Early arrival and late checkout are only an issue in our outdooor hospitality industry. Hoteliers forbid or charge for early, late check out, as it adds to staff and costs, as it does to us.
Hotels have only 2 options, 1 bed or 2. Camps have many more variables, as well as striving to suit your wishes.
Where the early/ late becomes an issue is when that prime site is reserved. If all our sites were like a hotel or wally world all the same with hookups, arranging would be easy.
Wear our shoes for a day,

Most of the hotel comparison is flat out wrong.

We have frequently stayed late/checked in early (after politely asking) and 9 out of 10 times, there is no cost (sometimes even though officially there is a fee, they tell us not to worry about it).
Thank you and happytorv for your comments. They prove our business model is to serve special requests for sites with special features. I simplified the hotel/ rv park comparison as an ask for understanding. Rv parks cannot begin to equate the simplified view hotels may offer due to the acreage, lay of the land, type of unit.
If parks were like a hotel, or parking lot with hookups where all are equal then you are right in your comparison.
Where a 'Campground' differs is in site size,type, services, location to amenity, shade trees or not, many other variables.
A late check out, an early arrival with so many variables is always a challenge to accommodate .
rvers have many more wishes than a hotel guest. Do any hotel guests have satellite tv on the roof so no trees to the south? Insist on shade? Again, I ask come wear our shoes, then judge.
Max

Hotels typically have many room types beyond just the number of beds.
- Ocean view, pool view or dumpster view
- Balcony or not
- Various suite types.
- High vs low floors.
- Etc...

Ultimately, we can only request and if we are told "no", we must abide by that...but if it's a blanket "no" when it's clear there are plenty of open sites and will have zero impact on your costs/staffing and you can't articulate why, you just made it more likely that I don't use your campground/hotel next time around.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
We are a bit more liberal on arrivals in that if the site has been cleared and checked off the list we will accommodate that arrival, but that is something we would never agree to during the reservation process or prior to actual arrival via a phone call, email or text from the guest. If you truly need to extend your stay past checkout time, book the extra day.

And this is all you should ever expect out of any CG, and has been my experience. When traveling on the arrival day, we leave at the best time for us - I don't calculate the arrival time to the minute as travel time is affected by many unknowns. We usually arrive within an hour to 30 minutes of official check in time and if the site is available, they have let us in. Had to wait in the staging area of a state park one time because they were short staffed that day. didn't bother me at all. We wake up early on departure day so we can have coffee and breakfast - then we pack up and leave.

And if the CG let the previous person stay in my spot then told me to go to an alternate site to wait, I'd be po'd at both the CG owner and the person still in my site. The OP states that they wanted to do more trail riding before checking out? Then get it done before time to go, otherwise book an additional day. Of course the person who has the valid reservation for a specific data and time is going to be mad - DUH! Doesn't matter - your responsibility is to leave on time.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
drsteve wrote:
Late check out? Pay for an extra day, then you can check out as late as you like.

Some are reluctant to pay for a full day. However paying for the whole day is the best solution. It allows the consumer to depart at their convenience and it does not interfere or alter the CG's schedule.
Correct Trax,Splendide

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
"but if it's a blanket "no" when it's clear there are plenty of open sites and will have zero impact on your costs/staffing and you can't articulate why, you just made it more likely that I don't use your campground/hotel next time around"

Or you will plan your time better in the future and hopefully not blame the CG when they won't let you extend your allotted time

It's not that complicated. When you extend times you disrupt the schedule all around. Sites may not be cleaned, or properly checked out.
Campers arrive early and find you in their spot!
All this nonsense is easy to avoid by just saying No to extending times!
Yes as a business owner I want to avoid unnecessary headaches. I already have enough necessary headaches I don't need any headaches I can easily avoid!

That is an option but if your customer service skills are non-existent in articulating why in a pleasant meaningful manner...the result is the same...the customer is going to avoid using your services.

So while I will accept "no, it's company policy"...it does have consequences if you can't convey that message in an articulate way.

Telling the customer to plan better in the future...is not an example of articulately conveying the message.

If it is my business . I run it the way I choose. My CG is not managed by the campers. I don't owe them any explanation, but a simple schedule disruptions have created too many communication and scheduling problems in the past would suffice.
If my CG is run well otherwise, I don't think a blanket no late check ins or early arrivals will be detrimental to overall customer experience. If the place were managed poorly, I doubt you would have many looking to stay longer.
AS we can see from this post, late departures and early arrivals can easily create confusion and havoc. As the owner I set a fixed schedule that allows me to operate efficiently altering that schedule too often hurts the customer experience
I agree. If the only way I can please a customer enough to return is to change my policies they are a customer I do not need.
Obviously there are situations that cannot be avoided. I can't make someone leave if they had a heart attack and are in the hospital. I can't suddenly make a vehicle that won't start operate. Otherwise, I expect guests to honor what they agree to, which is the arrival and departure time. We have a two hour gap between departure and arrival time. During this time we need to do all site maintenance and have everything ready for the next guest. Our policy is to give around 15 to 20 minutes of leeway on the departures after which we will be checking up on you. We are a bit more liberal on arrivals in that if the site has been cleared and checked off the list we will accommodate that arrival, but that is something we would never agree to during the reservation process or prior to actual arrival via a phone call, email or text from the guest. If you truly need to extend your stay past checkout time, book the extra day.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
You make sense because the OP wanted to stay & play past checkout. A problem with truck or camper causing delay is different than just extending play time.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Late check out? Pay for an extra day, then you can check out as late as you like.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
"but if it's a blanket "no" when it's clear there are plenty of open sites and will have zero impact on your costs/staffing and you can't articulate why, you just made it more likely that I don't use your campground/hotel next time around"

Or you will plan your time better in the future and hopefully not blame the CG when they won't let you extend your allotted time

It's not that complicated. When you extend times you disrupt the schedule all around. Sites may not be cleaned, or properly checked out.
Yes as a business owner I want to avoid unnecessary headaches. I already have enough necessary headaches I don't need any headaches I can easily avoid!

That is an option but if your customer service skills are non-existent in articulating why in a pleasant meaningful manner...the result is the same...the customer is going to avoid using your services.

So while I will accept "no, it's company policy"...it does have consequences if you can't convey that message in an articulate way.

Telling the customer to plan better in the future...is not an example of articulately conveying the message.

Correct Trax,Splendide

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Lantley wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe he stated check-in time is 3pm and even with his extended time he was gone by 12:55, so he was gone well before check-in time and the next campers were definitely early.