Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Landing gear question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Landing gear question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

With 5vr still hitched

Raise the Inner tubes up fully
Extend the Outer tubes until you hear then click/clack
Retract then 1" and paint a RED Line -----that is the MAX extension you want to do so you do not damage drive nut/shaft/gears

Are you saying that fully extending the outer legs (without any load on them) until they make a noise, will not damage the gears?

In my experience, over-running to the point of making noise has caused the fuse to blow and/or the bolt on the crossbar to shear. I suppose you have to find out the limit so you can mark it when totally extended but be ready to repair something if/when you do.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

With 5vr still hitched

Raise the Inner tubes up fully
Extend the Outer tubes until you hear then click/clack
Retract then 1" and paint a RED Line -----that is the MAX extension you want to do so you do not damage drive nut/shaft/gears

Are you saying that fully extending the outer legs (without any load on them) until they make a noise, will not damage the gears?

YES .....
W/O a LOAD on them they will chatter...stop when they do
THen RETRACT at least 1" and MARK the outer tube.
THen you can Lift under load to that mark W/O reaching full extend and cause damage

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Loaded or not, you risk blowing the fuse at end of travel. So be quick to get off the button. Be prepared with spare fuses. I've blown a few. Then finally replaced it with an auto-reset breaker that fit the existing socket. But you still need to get off that button quick when finding end of travel. Sneak up on it, don't just slam it. Use your hand crank if desired.

I've never reached full extend, even without using blocks. But I've hit end of retract by not paying attention, even though I marked it with paint.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

Loaded or not, you risk blowing the fuse at end of travel. So be quick to get off the button. Be prepared with spare fuses. I've blown a few. Then finally replaced it with an auto-reset breaker that fit the existing socket. But you still need to get off that button quick when finding end of travel. Sneak up on it, don't just slam it. Use your hand crank if desired.

I've never reached full extend, even without using blocks. But I've hit end of retract by not paying attention, even though I marked it with paint.

Since you have autolevel, a full retract shouldn't be an issue with "running into the stops" damaging anything. My LCI system fully retracts the jacks "to the stops" automatically and without damage. I've not tried extending them fully to see if the autolevel system will stop them. As for extending, using the manual crank when you get near the end, is probably an excellent idea.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Since you have autolevel...

Don't know if you meant me, or the OP, but I'm a simple man. No auto-level for me. If the OP has it, he didn't mention it. Maybe that just gives you 6 EOT's to worry about.

Just thought I would add this though - fuses and shear pins aren't the only thing easily damaged. I just replaced this gear box this weekend. The new one is AL, so hopefully it won't just move the damage to another part, like bevel gears for example.

[image]

[image]

Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My legs came with a red line for max extend with the motor....I had to mark a line for the max retract.

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2015 Wildcat 317RL, MoRryde rubber pin box, Titan Disc Brakes, Trojan T105
B&W Ram Companion

Yamaha EF2600c tri-fuel generator
Champion Model 46595- 3000/3500w

Bob Shaw

Newnan Ga

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a note, the drop legs are 31" long and I wouldn't extend them to the last hole, which on mine, is 4" from the end of the leg. If I remember, there are 16 or 17 holes above the foot, depending on what type of foot you have. With that set-up, you're going to have to be careful about how level of a campsite you get. If you get a downhill campsite, you're not going to be able to drop the front enough to get the trailer level, and it's no fun to have to put jacks under the frame and have to reset the frot jacks so you can lower it more, trust me, been there done that. You'll also have to watch the clearance between the trailer and the back of you r truck bed. If you have a sharp downhill, your trailer may contact the truck bed. I had that happen and my truck isn't even lifted. If you have a Ground Control 3.0 Auto-Levelling system, you'll get a fault code if it is out of range.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Landing gear question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS