cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Make moving the recliners easier

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer is laid out so that we have to turn the recliners sideways each time we bring the slides in. They were not really hard to move but were cumbersome. I made a large circle (22")out of 3/4" plywood, put on four coats of urethane varnish and screwed it to the bottom of each chair. Just be sure the screw heads are recessed. These work like large furniture glides and make moving them much easier. Plus we don't have dents in the carpet from the recliner base.
4 REPLIES 4

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
Our chairs are actually comfortable so we wanted to keep them. It was just turning them that was a PIA. The homemade glides took care of the moving part so all is good.

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I ditched the Lazy Boys cause they were so heady and a pain to move. They were also just wide enough to catch the trim on the slide and if you didnt get them up tight to the wall it would catch and it even ripped the trim off once. I replaced them with metal framed gliders. They arent nearly as comfy but they are lights and easy to move.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our OEM Flexsteel recliners were the same.........Cumbersome due to the meatl ring
and it not sliding but digging into carpet and then recliners would tip

Solved that by getting rid of those cheap chairs and replaced them with some quality recliners with full wood bases
Now slide easy-peasy and are SOOOOOOOOO much more comfortable to sit in!!!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I had the same problem. I bought home water heater round plastic drain pans from Home Depot. Just the right size for the round base of the recliners to fit into. And the plastic slides easily over the carpet. I did have to cut the turned up sides down a little. But easy with a sabre saw.