cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any To Do suggestions for the Pigeon Forge area?

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
My DW and I are going to be staying in Pigeon Forge and exploring the surrounding area for a few days. Would appreciate any suggestions for things to do or see while we are there. Also always on the lookout for good places to eat while there.

We are travelling without any youngsters so we are definitely skipping Dollywood.

TIA for your help.

John S.
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft
17 REPLIES 17

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Cades Cove is great. be sure to visit the visitor center there as well as the mill and the other houses there. Drive 441 over to the Ocanaluftee Visitor center in North Carolina. Great viewing of the Elk. Also, Mingus Mill is interesting as is the Farm museum. Sugarloaf Visitor Center is really nice and the nature trail and the trail to Cataract Falls are nice and easy walks. If you like to hike, there are a ton of great hiking trails.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Cadeโ€™s Cove is an absolute, there are a few pull offs along the loop and waterfalls to hike to. Cling manโ€™s Dome in the Smokey Mtn National Park and numerous other spots to hike to for waterfalls. You can pick up a visitors guide which will have them all in there along with other things to see and do. As stated, Apple Barn is very good along with Old Mill and Bennettโ€™s BBQ. One of my favorites if you like fried chicken is Huck Finnโ€™s Catfish House. You canโ€™t visit without a trip for breakfast at the Log Cabin Pancake House. Enjoy.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Workshop Tools. AKA Mens Daycare. Was in there last week. All kinds of stuff that you didn't know you need & can't be found anywhere else.

Knifeworks across the road is something to see also.

Lodge cast iron cookware, all in the same shopping area.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
There is a place nearby called The Great Smokey Mountains National Park. Recommended visit.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
PF is a great area I go to Pine mountain RV park I believe it is at light 5. It is located in the middle of everything that will overwhelm you with things. Also if bad weather comes you can walk across the street to the hotel which they also a part of and use the hot tub and heat pool and lazy stream. I put this in because when I camping the cloud covers me lol.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg is recommended.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.upthecreekrvcamp.com/
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The best restaurant I can recommend is The Peddlers in G'burg. Hand cut steaks you pick out at your table, great salad bar and they have seafood too. Another is 5 Oaks Farm Kitchen. It is directly across the street from the Tanger Outlets in Pigeon Forge, big red building. Harpoon Harry's is pretty good too.

It's difficult to recommend something to do without an idea of your interests. There is always Dolly's Stampede, a great dinner show. There is the Titanic exhibit/museum quite interesting. There is the new National Inquirer museum that just opened this past spring. There is the Sweet Fanny Adams theater in G'burg if you want a Vaudeville type show.

If you want a beautiful view go up to Clingmans Dome. You will be at the top of the mountain and Newfound Gap. It's involves a little bit of a hike on a paved trail. If you like caves then there is the Forbidden Caverns out 411. It's rated one of the top caves in the country. Out that way too is the Bush's bean factory. They have a wonderful cafรฉ and a small museum that is interesting and there is the gift shop where you can get some types of beans you normally can't get in the grocery store along with the typical hats and tee shirts and kitchen things. It's really a worth while stop.

We live about 20 miles outside the PF area and play tourist ourselves at times. Been here just over 6 years and still haven't done everything. Too much to do.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on Cades Cove, took me 2 hours to do the 11 mile scenic tour. I have a 2500 LB CC truck and it was enough to handle on the road through the cove.

Apple Farm in Townsend was a neat place with good food in the cafe. Outside eating area if you have pets with you.

A drive down the main street of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg will provide a lot of entertainment.

Just came from there.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't need kids to go to the Southern Gospel Hall Of Famer in DollyWood
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
No Way Joseโ€™s Cantina if you like Mexican food.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Double post

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on Cade's Cove. I would suggest not taking the class C on the Cade's Cove loop itself, though; while the road can accommondate RVs in theory, there are (or were when I went) a fair few low branches and in places where other people stop and pull "off" the road the gaps are sometimes very very slender indeed.

Dollywood is not just for kids; it's a lovely amusement park in all regards. If you're not much into that sort of thing, of course it's reasonable to skip it; but there are plenty of "grown up" rides and shows and craftspersons and such.

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
One man or woman's pleasure is another's torture or something like that :).

There are lots of touristy activities in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

• There are a number of family friendly comedy and music shows.
  • Shopping outlets galore tools to clothes to camping supplies

• Workshop Tools
    • Coleman camping supplies
    • Smoky Mountain Knife works
    • Multiple kitchen supply outlets
    • Oh, I think they might have some clothing outlets too ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Great Restaurants
    • Mama's Farmhouse - My family really enjoys this. We usually go here for Thanksgiving.
    • Bennett's Pit Bar-b-que
    • Alamo Steakhouse
    • Apple Barn - There are two restaurants at the Apple Barn as well as an ice cream shop, wine shop, and a cider mill. They fritters and apple butter are really good.
    • The Old Mill - Really good large portion food and shop with various stone ground goods.
    • Paula Deen Family Kitchen at the Island

• Numerous touristy activities like farris wheel, Alpine Coasters (gravity powered coasters)
  • The Smoky Mountains. The drive between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg can be scenic. As already suggested the drive to Cade's Cove and the Cove itself are nice.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint