Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help with full timing over the winter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Help with full timing over the winter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
luvmydogs

Ct

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been on a search for a home in the northeast and have come up empty. We are running out of time and will probably have to escape here till spring next year. We spent winter in Florida a few years ago and I wont get my husband back down there for anything, so in my mind the only other place to winter would be west, maybe Arizona? Love to hear advice on where to go and how to get somewhere to park. We don't mind floating from place to place for the 6 months or so, not sure I want to be parked the whole time in one place anyways, but have no clue where to go or how to find places to stay months or weeks at a time. Mind you we are doing this in a small travel trailer, so it not quite as fun and great as it sounds. Any help, advice or suggestions would be appreciated, not looking forward to this at all. Thanks in advance.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before giving advice I'd like to know what was wrong with Florida.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Ditto, and what sort of place are you looking for: resort, boondocking, etc.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the other posters, pretty hard to give a recommendation when we don't know why Florida was such a failure.
But to take a stab at it, there are generally three other states people consider besides Florida. South Texas is considered to be the cheapest option with the most marginal weather. Arizona has options ranging from nearly free (Quartzsite) to very cheap (Yuma) to much higher prices (Tempe, Scottsdale, Phoenix). California offers pretty much the same range with the area around El Centro/Salton Sea being least expensive (starting with the slabs and working your way on up) to the Palm Springs area where monthly rates can exceed $3000. You can choose your amenities in all those states ranging from bare bones to full on country club resorts.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So-Cal has a lot of options, as does Az. and south Texas. But we have considered Mobile to New Orleans south coast area too.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And there are all sorts of different parts of Florida too: Keys, South of I-4, North of I-4 and the Panhandle are all completely different from each other. May as well be different states. There is also a wintering crowd down around Terlingua TX if you like blasted desert....heh.

But this is looking like one of those posts where someone tosses something out and then vanishes w/o a trace.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WHERE in Florida makes a big difference. I too spent the first couple winters way down south where everyone recommended. It sucked. Giant skeeters all day long and at night forget going outside, humidity, and outrageously and Imho unnecessary rates for what you get packed in like sardines. etc etc etc.

I found what I think is the best kept secret of Florida and down right beautiful. North central Florida, beautiful word class blue springs, clear blue rivers. And Pine trees and forests that look like forests.

I liked it so much. Reminded me of back home plus the springs and plethora of activities, and minus the snow! [emoticon]…..Well I just bought a home here.

Soooo, Florida living or snowbirding is NOT just in the south near the oceans. [emoticon]

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or, you could stay where you are?

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm........n/thread/tid/24160748.cfm Winter Camping

luvmydogs wrote:

We have been on a search for a home in the northeast and have come up empty. We are running out of time and will probably have to escape here till spring next year. We spent winter in Florida a few years ago and I wont get my husband back down there for anything, so in my mind the only other place to winter would be west, maybe Arizona? Love to hear advice on where to go and how to get somewhere to park. We don't mind floating from place to place for the 6 months or so, not sure I want to be parked the whole time in one place anyways, but have no clue where to go or how to find places to stay months or weeks at a time. Mind you we are doing this in a small travel trailer, so it not quite as fun and great as it sounds. Any help, advice or suggestions would be appreciated, not looking forward to this at all. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

My guess is EVERYTHING! FL is a horrible place!

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

luvmydogs wrote:

Nearly all of AZ is so much better than FL it's hard to recommend a specific place. There are excellent RV parks in Tucson, Benson, Phoenix, Casa Grande, Yuma and Quartzsite (for a brief stay during the RV show). Too many places to mention. Even Flagstaff if you want a nice blast of cooler weather and work in a visit to the observatory that discovered Pluto.
So many places. So little time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Help with full timing over the winter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.