cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best RV Resort or Campground

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
OK, forgive me if this has been covered. I did a search and didn't see a thread. I'm thinking toward retirement in a few years and I want to start building a list of must see places. I've been working on a list of places based on scenery, local culture, or just places the wife and I have been wanting to see, but I thought it would be nice to start compiling a list of places where the RV park itself is a destination worth visiting. So if you have a place in mind, post some thoughts on what makes it special.

To start it off, although I'm a long time RV owner, I don't have a lot of experience with RV resorts. We've stayed in a lot of campgrounds, but most of them are nothing I would call special. Some better than others, but most have just been a place to park the RV. There are a couple of standouts though.

I believe the best I've seen is Cherry Hill just outside of Washington DC. It's a large resort that offers some real amenities and scheduled activities. We only stayed a few days and unfortunately we didn't get to see or take advantage of many of those activities. One nice feature that we did take advantage of was a DC night tour that picks up and returns to the park. We were also able to buy DC metro subway passes right in the park. It's a beautiful park and I hope we get to return and spend some time enjoying the activities at the park.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint
26 REPLIES 26

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Womens79, we just stayed at Anchors Down in Dandridge, TN, a couple of weeks ago. We were headed to Lake Toxaway in NC and it was a good stop for us when traveling east.

Anchor Down is a BUSY park. It was practically full when we made our one night stop. They only had back-in sites available that evening. We could not see the water from our spot and it was $68 a night. Golf carts are used by many, even little kids driving them, so be careful!

It is a nice clean park with concrete pads and paved roads, the lady as the desk could use some training on 'friendliness'. As the coaches/trailers/fifth-wheels were arriving, there was a guy who could not have been nicer, he took our check-in information (license plate numbers, etc.) to have it ready for the 'stern' desk clerk.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've heard great thinks about Anchor Down in TN that someone else mentioned, on the lake with the Smokies in the background.

It's on our list of places to go. It be an easy drive from Huntsville. But heck we enjoy Honeycomb Creek right up River from y'all. Not fancy, or anything but ilove to spend time in Lake Guntersville.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who have responded. We will definitely be looking into these and others. Keep sharing the "great" experiences.

Anyone have any experience with Sand Dunes Recreation Area in Colorado? I saw a YouTube video that had a short segment on it. Seems interesting.

Previous RVs and TOADS
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
One of the best resorts we stay was Seven Feather in OR.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Ft Wilderness in Disney World is probably the nicest we stayed in. Also the most expensive. Mustang Run near Oklahoma City is very nice. All roads and sites are concrete. Nicely maintained grass, pool,rec center,dog run and the bathrooms were super nice. Very reasonable prices,too. Pipestem State resort park in West Virginia is very nice. The campground is nice but they have so much to do. 2 restaurants,golf,tennis,a lake for fishing,horseback riding,indoor and out door pools, archery,nature walks etc.

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the prior posts regarding Indio - there are several resorts in Indio CA that are very nice.

Tiger Run in Breckenridge in CO is also nice. The only downside to Tiger Run is that the staff is stupid.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

mljjdb
Explorer
Explorer
Do some research on the RIO Grande Valley in South Texas. Several hundred resorts from McAllen to Brownsville. Several Hundred Thousand winter texas flock there from Canada and the US. Loads of fun, inexpensive and plenty to do. This will be our 12th year there in the winter months.
The most welcoming locals you will ever meet. Look up Winter Texans on google for more info. Good Luck

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Anchor Down RV Resort near Sevierville,Pigeon Forge,Gatinberg East TN on rt 139. Just to much to see and do. Great place to stay for months if needed.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I have favorite places that are favorites partly because everyone and his mother isn't there.

I can appreciate that.

jplante4 wrote:
The biggest reason I haven't been to more is that they are frightfully expensive and I don't play tennis. HHI had the nicest sites we've ever seen.

I can also appreciate this. I'm not a tennis player or golfer either, so those activities aren't a draw for me either.

Several have suggested Bluewater Key and it looks really nice. It's definitely on the list of places to see. I've only been to Key West for a few hours as a day stop on a cruise. The daily rates seem comparatively reasonable. I saw some references to the sale prices of some of the lots and :E wow. I won't be purchasing one any time soon.

I'm sure I could have picked a better title for the thread. Best is relative and there are many things that make for a best or worst experience. I've spent far more nights RVing outside of commercial campgrounds than I have in them. Also some of the best trips we've taken where we stayed at campgrounds were spent at some of the worst campgrounds. Worst is also subjective, but for these purposes I will say rude camp staff or "campgrounds" that were really parking lots or worse just muddy fields. Best/worst also depends on the purpose of the stay. I don't think price or description (luxury resort, etc.) make s place better or worse necessarily. Obviously if looking to full time and put down roots for an extended stay, most of the "luxury" resorts wouldn't be the least expensive or "best" option. The reverse of that is also generally true. If looking for a vacation getaway the least expensive campground that caters to full timers is probably not the "best" option. I do believe there are great reasonably priced "destination" resorts and there are really over priced "snobby" resorts.

We have lists of places we want to see or revisit. We've been to Alaska but never by RV. Traveling the ALCAN highway and exploring more of Alaska is definitely on my radar. The coastal north east is also something we want to explore more of.

We also like quirky and unique places. Thanks to DuchmenSport for pointing out Santa Clause, Indiana. That's a new one for us and looks interesting. We have a tradition of spending Thanksgiving in Pigeon Forge. I realize some would consider such touristy destinations torture, and I wouldn't necessarily want to full time at either of these but they are, for us, worthwhile visiting.

Previous RVs and TOADS
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

greyhook
Explorer
Explorer
Bluewater Key is great for a few reasons. Cleanliness, privacy, amenities(you get your own tiki hut with furniture, tv, etc.), attention to detail.
Fort Wilderness is a place every RV owner should experience at least once. The place is gargantuan, you need a bus to get to the actual bus stop.
Honorable mentions are Sunset CG in Kings Canyon, Rafter J, Valencia travel village in Castaic,CA and Anaheim RV Park for its convenient location.(although I hear it's closing)

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
westernrvparkowner wrote:
As much as I am prejudiced towards my parks, if someone wants the very best, my vote goes to either Outdoor Resorts - Indio California, Motorcoach Country Club - also in Indio or Bluewater Key in Florida. All are beyond spectacular.

We haven't been to Indio, yet, but are thinking about spring 2021. We do go to Bluewater Key and have to agree it is one of the best.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Are there really motorhome-only resorts that exclude trailers? To twist Groucho Marx's old saying, I wouldn't want to belong to an outfit that excludes folks like me!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Unfortunately, yes. Just like there are gated communities with multi-million dollar over-inflated houses, there are a number of Class-A or "Motorcoach" only resorts. I believe their thinking is that if you only allow luxury class A coaches, you will have a "better" class of clientele. I also believe their logic is flawed in many ways. I've seen some million dollar coaches driven by some rather sketchy "rednecks" and I've seen a lot of really nice people driving much less expensive trailers, camper vans, class C's and less expensive class As. Not to mention that some fifth wheel / tow vehicle combinations easily out cost even most of the luxury class As.

I agree though, even if I owned a luxury coach, I don't think these are the places for me...

travelnutz wrote:
How much per day are you willing to pay for your site? How much will you pay? A couple days, a week, a month stay??? Fancy resorts charge a lot more than for these ammenities that so very few campers even use. Have to remember that all ammenities expensives have to be covered every day whether they or you ever use them or maybe just one out of the many offered.

Agreed, resorts will cost more. Fort Wilderness is a case in point. I wouldn't stay there every week, but if you're going to RV and visit Disney World, I believe it's worth it for a week.

So I'd be willing to pay more, within reason (maybe even far above what some would consider reasonable), for a "destination" campground if I'm able to partake in and enjoy the benefits being funded. How much more? I think that depends on lots of factors. In the next few years between now and retirement where I'm using vacation days from work, I'd be willing to pay a lot more than if it was a "routine" week in retirement.

I also realize everyone has their own idea of what's important. To some, kid friendly activities are import. To others, they would prefer adults only. Tennis? Golf? Beach? Mountains? I'm interested to see what's out there, even if much of it may not appeal to me. Most of the campgrounds we've stayed at were more than adequate and we will continue to stay at "regular" campgrounds and state parks and hopefully even expand our experiences as referenced above regarding harvest host and the like. I've been around RVs my entire life and have owned some type of RV most of my adult life. The idea of this thread was to gather other's experience on what they consider "special" campgrounds or resorts and why they consider them special.

Previous RVs and TOADS
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
To the thread OP.

How much per day are you willing to pay for your site? How much will you pay? A couple days, a week, a month stay??? Fancy resorts charge a lot more than for these ammenities that so very few campers even use. Have to remember that all ammenities expensives have to be covered every day whether they or you ever use them or maybe just one out of the many offered.

Then there's location, location, location that factors into the daily price charged. The restrictions enter in it as to what they allow to camp there too. Less than 10 years lod RV's? Less than 10 year old motor homes only and must pass inspection for acceptible condition? Less that 10 year old 5th wheels and Travel trailers? so many of those criteria restrictions will not allow tent camping.

Most state parks do allow any reasonable type of RV/tent campers to have a site and at far lower daily costs and most have multitudes of recreational ammenities and activities. You be the judge as it's your money and desires you are parting with your money for. Remember that you are not buying the CG or site and when you leave you can't take it with you but you can take the receipt. Whoopie!

So many RV'ers start out wanting or thinking they will only seek or stay at the so called "very nice CG's and resorts" and most all soon realize they are paying for so much they don't ever use and soon wise up. That is unless the RV'er has so much money they don't give 2 hoots. Maybe you are in that boat?

Note! We have been in depth RV'ing for 54 years and seen so much happenings go over the dam and conversing with many thousands of RV'ers in CG's traveling with our various TT's, 5th wells, class C's and large class A's. Been to every lower 48 US state, most of Canada, and to and around Alaska all multiple times. So many RV'ers had changed their tune as to CG's when they got smarter.

Just giving you some food for thought. Maybe it will save you many many thousands of $$$...
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
"Best RV Resort or Campground"

Watkins Glen / Corning KOA ,NY
Ocean Lakes, Myrtle Beach, SC
Camp Hatteras RV Resort & Campground, Waves NC

Mike :C
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)