Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: MPEG 4 Chipset TV Questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> MPEG 4 Chipset TV Questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Mikesr

Lebanon Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t know much about this subject and thought I would ask some questions here.
We have a travel trailer setup for the remainder of the football season near Sate College PA and the campground owner tells us his cable tv provider switched to an MPEG 4 technology and that is why our TV’s are only getting some of the channels we previously received at this same campground on the same 3 TV’s we had last year that are not that old, We have scanned and rescanned each TV several times with different results of found channels on each one and some channels saying audio only. The campground owner suggested replacing the TV’s. We do not have a problem with this but finding one that is MPEG 4 chipset seems confusing. Looking at specs of various 32 to 49 inch TV’s and do not see it specifically saying MPEG 4 chipset.
Anyone have suggestions, input or recommendations on a TV or different solution that would work ?
Thanks in advance

Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2017 Keystone Outback 325BH

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, Most modern flat screen TV's do MPEG4 just fine. It's the "Standard" video format for Windows computers after all.

What has happened is SOME cable companies are now Encrypting and you need a set top decoder.. This may have happned along with a switch from "Mostly analog" to Digital.

ORiginally cable systems were analog
Then they went to a digital format called QAM (Quaduature Amplitude Modulation)
Then the world went digital for broadcast
Some Cable companies pass on ATSC Some QAM and Some digital and most mixed.

QAM allows for encryption Most modern TVs (one brand is notabally and exception) DO NTSC (The old analog National Televiosion Standards Comittee or Never Twice Same Color take your pick)
ATSC (American Television Standards Comittee) Digital OTA broadcast
QAM But NOT QAM encrypted
ANd MPEG (via the USB port)

ELEMENT TV... the only one made in the USA and I'm not sure if they still are as some plants have been closed.. IS also the only one I know of that does not do QAM.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

anybody you know at the campground ?
who can tll you IF their TV works properly or if they had to replace it or rent a box ?

I would try one of these before https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I2ZBD1U/?co........11DMGSJPLF4AO&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

before purchasing a new TV
it will tune any channel thats NOT encrpyted, and has the ability to record that channel to a USB memory stick drive

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think the best solution is a cable set top box that receives mpeg4. Don't know about splitting it up or if you will have to get three.

The above STB is for antenna reception I think, you need one for cable.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would help to know the cable company

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cable Cos in State College PA per HERE..

Comcast Xfinity..

From what I can tell, unless you have one or two specific brands of TV you WILL need a set top box (AKA Cable Converter)..

From HERE it is claimed that only Samsung (the first set) and later 2018 LG sets will be compatible with Comcast cable directly without a set top box.

Cable Cos have pretty much pulled the plug on analog channels and even have set the QAM data bit to "private", they are no longer compelled to provide open in the clear cable signals PROVIDED they offer FREE basic set top boxes..

OP should be able to contact the local cable Co office to get full details on a free set top box to use..

I suspect the campground may even have those boxes..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> MPEG 4 Chipset TV Questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS