Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: OTA television while traveling?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> OTA television while traveling?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Everyone,

We are definitely "cord cutter's". We have not had satellite, cable or OTA in 10+ years. Where we live we cannot get OTA broadcasts so we have gotten used to not having it.

On a recent trip we found ourselves without Internet and our DVD player died. No problem! I am well versed in the ancient technology called "books"...[emoticon]

While enjoying a good paperback it occurred to me that,if I had an antenna we could probably get TV there.

In this age of Internet and satellite TV, how many of you still watch OTA? How is coverage/reception of the new digital signal compared to the old analog? Its been that long..... [emoticon]

Any recommendations for a good antenna?

Thanks.

S.

2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/19 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While you are waiting try searching this Forum for `antenna' then search the results for `digital' and read on or just search for `digital antenna' but there will be fewer responses.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We probably receive OTA TV 85% or more of the time. It's enough that we haven't bothered to upgrade our satellite TV receiver or want to pay the monthly fees.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trackrig wrote:

We probably receive OTA TV 85% or more of the time. It's enough that we haven't bothered to upgrade our satellite TV receiver or want to pay the monthly fees.

Bill

Us too. Often anywhere from 12 to 70 stations depending on location.
Works for us!

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/19 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winegard Sensar IV head with Wingman(comes with the IV. Winegard Sensar control panel and booster inside. We use OTA about 90% of the time, but when we were fixed for about a 4 month run, we did buy a auto satellite dome and a wally to go with it, on DISH network. Pay on a month-to-month basis, so we only pay when we use it. With our OTA system, I have received up to 70 miles away over flat land. Usually 50 or so is max

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/19 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use OTA television the majority of the time. We will sometimes hook up to cable, but often times the OTA reception is a better quality.

2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Everyone!

It looks like OTA is a good way to go when traveling.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OTA antennas have changed very little since we went to digital TV (properly called ATSC). The signal coming in is still electromagnetic waves. The big difference is that the frequency range has been drastically cut. This is a bonus, because they got rid of the VHF-Lo band (the old channels 2-6) which required a large antenna for best reception.

Even though they kept VHF-Hi (the old channels 7-13). Most (but not all) broadcasting is done on UHF (only the old channels 14-36)

In short this means that more compact antennas work quite well ! There are several video on YouTube about DIY antennas for very little money.

One thing that has not changed, the higher you ca get your antenna, the better the signal will be.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/19 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also did not want the expense and the added setup needed for satellite so we will watch OTA when we can and it has worked out quite well.

If you have existing hardware you can mount the newest type antenna.

When I bought my RV it had a Winegard Batwing that was not working, I cleaned up all connections and tested to see if it was broken, it was,so I replaced it with a new bat wing then ran a Channel Scan I was not impressed with the amount of channels that I got. This was done in my driveway here in the south bay of So Calif about 30 miles from the transmitters, using my SensarPro.

I then went out and got a Wingman add on, that put my channel scan up to 85,but I had a clearance problem with the Wingman
[image]

So I opted to put a Jack Antenna on and my channel scan went up to 174

[image]

">][image]

Cheaper too than the Winegard

I always get beat up by the techies, The debate will go on and on, but I know what works best for me,in the real world.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do have Dish. But for quick overnight stops we typically watch OTA for news and weather.

Has your 5er’s antenna been removed? For simplicity get a good portable antenna and hook direct to your TV. Good for 30-40 miles over relatively flat terrain. We have a portable hooked to our TV at home so we can still have TV when storms are blocking satellite, or during satellite contract disputes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> OTA television while traveling?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS