Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: looking to get into the camper world
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> looking to get into the camper world

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everybody camps different and when we've been to Colossal Cave campground in AZ, they had "colored" water coming from the taps.
I did not want to put the stuff in my tank, but filled one of those "solar shower" bags and used it before bed time outside.
Since we've been only camper I did not need to get swimwear.
But those are rare circumstances for most of us and usually we buy RV to keep us from extreme like cold night, rain and such.
Driving to Alaska I didn't like the $40 RV parks and was taking advantage of beautiful scenery in pull-outs and rest areas.
When black tank last us for several days and I could get water in Canada at any visitor center - I avoided frequent dumping of gray tank by using water outside.
Good to have the options.
Kind of funny that when you dump water with food debris from camping table directly on the lawn - you are perfectly legal, but when you let shower water via tanks drain into the bushes - you are criminal.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Kind of funny that when you dump water with food debris from camping table directly on the lawn - you are perfectly legal, but when you let shower water via tanks drain into the bushes - you are criminal.

I have never understood those that go ballistic about dumping the grey water on the ground either...The backpackers/tent campers and picnickers all just throw there dishwater every and anywhere as that's there only option along with doing your duty behind a bush...

As to the op,I understand the need for a shorter rig for ferry use..When I sold one of my logging trucks in Spokane,I was offered a job in Alaska with a very high pay, if I would piggy back some trucks to Seattle..

I looked into everything and discovered that the ferry cost over there would be very high for me/my pickup and a 34' Terry..By the foot..

Good luck on finding a good TC..

'94 Ford DRW/460
Lance 9.6
Yamaha Rhino in tow
Elk hunt'n Idaho

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started RV over 30 years ago and at the time RV have been dumping gray water on the grounds.
Some TT did not have holding tanks at all and unless you had a tote ,that was the only way.
I think it was abuse that some people always do, where it was more dumped than just gray water, who made restrictions on it.
I've spend some time researching recycling water, when in California.
Gray water (real gray water) it is safe for vegetation watering when done right away. It is holding it in the tank for more than 24 hr what grows the bacteria and make it hazardous.
So keep your tank dumped on daily bases [emoticon]
On my recent trip to Alaska, I was considering one of the ferry, but some of them charge as much as $40/ft.
My TC with front generator and rear steps is reaching 30'
I DROVE

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can find a used Alaskan camper then you are gold.

I personally would run from the Heco lift system, which is a rack and pinion track that lifts the roof using long torsion bars that are at the ceiling. Find one with the roof that you just push up by hand.

You will be in a tent as far as noise and insulation goes.

The popup TCs are great for fuel economy, getting in tight areas and all …

You will likely mostly see cassette toilets, and this is what you want.

You will need to have Torklift mounts or some way to attach the TC to the truck.

If you fine one with a North to South bed (the top bunk has you lay head towards front of truck, feet towards rear instead of sideways) you will have more room and comfort.

dhull

apple valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we rent a houseboat on Dale Hollow lake in Tennessee it's gray water goes directly into the lake!

noteven

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi StirCrazy,

While this thread goes off the rails for a while arguing ferry fare economics, gas vs deezil vs single rear wheel, and dumping gray water....

I’m figuring that maybe you want some truck camper information-

Have a look at the on line magazine Truck Camper Magazine

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dhull wrote:

When we rent a houseboat on Dale Hollow lake in Tennessee it's gray water goes directly into the lake!

I would love to go swimming in that lake near your waste. I'm sure this is not legal in TN.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Your concern involves lowering the ferry costs? How many crossing would you need to break even?

I posted that was one of the reasons for a camper, the other is so we can camp in places I cant fit my 39 foot 5th in (lots of small sites around here) the ferry with my 5th is over 700 bucks return with a truck camper it would be 180.00 so a substantial savings which would let us go several times a year with out having to rely on friend for accommodation or paying for hotels.

the more important of the reasons is to access camping in smaller remote areas.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PNW_Steve wrote:

I have never had trouble with close spaces until I tried to sleep in a cabover bed.

I borrowed one for a trip. The first night on the road I crawled into the bed over the cab and tried to sleep. Instead I wound up with a bit of an anxiety attack. I wound up sleeping on the dinette bed for the rest of the trip.

I see enough campers on the road that I am sure that I am weird. I would suggest that you try one out before you buy just in case you are weird too. [emoticon]

haha, the bunks I slept in while I was in the Navy were much smaller than any camper I have see. plus we have used one which a friend owned, so not worried about the cabover, but a good point to think about.

Steve

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if I do get a creepie one that needs work, I figured it would be an over the winter project. can most stuff be fixed from the inside or is it better to take the metal siding off and work from the outside. I was thinking of modernizing the inside with new wall panels (35 bucks for a 4x8 sheet here) and upgrading all the insulation. We like to camp most of the year so good insulation would be a must.

the other thought was a used bigfoot or northern light but I am now sure how hard that would be to work on.

Steve

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> looking to get into the camper world
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS